Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I think it would be "none of you are safe", or "not one of you is safe". Sticky footing behind singular and plural, here.

I've never heard "none" being used as an alternative to "no one"; I've always taught/was taught that it's either "nobody" or "no one".

Just sayin'; I think Kevin did indeed drop the ball.
I'm willing to acquiesce on your behalf for the sake of the thread, Joe, but my grammar's pretty spot-on; not sayin' yours isn't, though.
Hmmm...how to settle this? I was an English major in college and taught English for years. That said, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Well, pretty close to the first time, but not the first time.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #22
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
So I take it there is little interest in Kevin Smith's Six Million Dollar Man relaunch? (Yet another failed movie script he turned into a 6 issue comic arc.)
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #23
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I was an English major, but switched to Elementary Education.

I taught for many years also, though I bailed out early for vo; FIGHT!

I have the utmost respect for your intelligence.. otherwise I wouldn't read your reviews, Joe.
Seriously.. who cares who's right? You might be, I might be.. doesn't change the fact that Smith was off his rocker a bit when he wrote this.

When you have to go the "sex sells" route in comics, you've run out of material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Hmmm...how to settle this? I was an English major in college and taught English for years. That said, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Well, pretty close to the first time, but not the first time.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm with you all the way, Argonus. Smith was totally off his rocker on this one. I'd heard good things about his Green Hornet run but I just can't bring myself to pick this trade up.

Coincidentally, I was just now listening to npr after dropping my son off at school and there was a story about a bank in Tripoli, and the reporter said, "Interestingly, none of the bank's assets was touched." So, just another example of "none" referred to in the singular ("was" rather than "were") rather than plural.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
Too funny. I recently posted this in the thread about rating the last movie you saw:

Quote:
Cop Out - 1/10. OMG, run from this formulaic, cliched, stupid buddy cop film. Just awful.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

http://youtu.be/N4vf8N6GpdM
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

"Dogma" I enjoyed... the rest of his stuff? I'll pass.

Like I said, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but people reading copy, let alone the person who WROTE the copy that you heard, could be wrong also. Usually producers "edit" copy before giving them to vo, and producers aren't always the sharpest knife in the drawer; believe me.

Sometimes the vo sees the errors and wants to change them, but the product rep etc refuses to allow the change; usually they're fine with whatever sounds natural/best, but ultimately.. they call the shots.

No biggie.

Quote:
I'm with you all the way, Argonus. Smith was totally off his rocker on this one. I'd heard good things about his Green Hornet run but I just can't bring myself to pick this trade up.

Coincidentally, I was just now listening to npr after dropping my son off at school and there was a story about a bank in Tripoli, and the reporter said, "Interestingly, none of the bank's assets was touched." So, just another example of "none" referred to in the singular ("was" rather than "were") rather than plural.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
This movie is crap! Kevin Smith needs to cut down

"Rock out with your glock out." WTF! lol
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote