Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Anyone Keep boxes and throw out styrofoam?

I'm trying to de-clutter somewhat and was wondering if anyone has kept boxes but thrown out the styrofoam? If so is it hard to then reconstruct foam to pack a statue in? Ideally I don't want to throw out the styrofoam for a statue I will later have to ship but you never know. Any thoughts?
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Halcyon
Loki

I thought about that more than once, not done up to now. Keeping them in pretty big closet and is 98% full atm.

You could do it first with the statues you never part with (or one box if you have two same type statues). I think i'm going to do that first.

To recreate a close fitting styro form out of large blocks is troublesome, but support for the basic body shape could be done by using 'PurFoam / PU foam spray' I guess. Fill no more than 1/4 of plastic bag, so it can form the wanted shape without to much pressure.
Fill rest of box with styro blocks. But still no fun work to do.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I thought about that more than once, not done up to now. Keeping them in pretty big closet and is 98% full atm.

You could do it first with the statues you never part with (or one box if you have two same type statues). I think i'm going to do that first.

To recreate a close fitting styro form out of large blocks is troublesome, but support for the basic body shape could be done by using 'PurFoam / PU foam spray' I guess. Fill no more than 1/4 of plastic bag, so it can form the wanted shape without to much pressure.
Fill rest of box with styro blocks. But still no fun work to do.
Thanks for the reply. I do really need to rethink and reflect on what statues will never be parted with and then maybe have a tier of statues that even if I do sell maybe just not have the packing and sell to local buyers and not worry about re sale value. Being able to fold the boxes for storage would free up so much space. It's not a huge issue right now but once I start construction on the Man Cave I gotta do something with the boxes. Three kids a wife and two dogs don't leave much room for Daddy's stuff.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Underdog07
Hercules

I would say do not do it. Yes it would save space. Yes I have thought about it. But the hit on value as well as ability to move the statues far outweigh the opposite. Even those that will never be parted with will eventually be payed with by you or once you are gone (hate to think I those terms but it's true). And the value of the statue plummets without the styrofoam/box. Just having the box will not keep up the price. Plus it becomes very difficult to move as you will have to carefully pack anything you do not have styrofoam for.

If necessary look into a small storage unit for just the boxes. You are in a pricey area (I was in NYC area so it was pricey) but if you go outside the big city you should find something small for like $50 a month. That will allow you to put away the boxes and not worry about them.

My entire collection of comics and statues is now in storage. Being in NC I have a 20x20 room for only $125 a month. It also allows you to get seasonal items out of the house
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I would advise against. I agree about the value hit you will realize. I am up against a similar situation (running out of display space and storage space) and have slowed down on purchases. I would look at the collection and consider a purge for any items that might not fit into your long term plan. At least that is what I am doing. I haven’t picked up any statues in a while but if/when I do I think I am going to get rid of one (or more) for every new one I add.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

You will lose over 50% value plus reselling will be hard to come by. Collectors want everything. Plus the risk of damaging during shipping is huge. Styrofoam makes a huge difference as it absorbs impact when the boxes are dropped.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I'm trying to de-clutter somewhat and was wondering if anyone has kept boxes but thrown out the styrofoam? If so is it hard to then reconstruct foam to pack a statue in? Ideally I don't want to throw out the styrofoam for a statue I will later have to ship but you never know. Any thoughts?
Big mistake you will ultimately regret. If you have a girlfriend, get rid of her shoes and put boxes there.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I have read of people mentioning putting the styro in bags in the attic of something, while folding away and keep the boxes in a better environment than the attic.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
I have read of people mentioning putting the styro in bags in the attic of something, while folding away and keep the boxes in a better environment than the attic.
What's the point of removing the styro and placing them in the attic and then stacking the folded boxes somewhere else? Why not just simply keep it together?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Yes, I almost always toss the foam. Wish I didn't but it's reality.
Laws of physics, only so many objects can occupy a certain space.
I simply cannot store foam, it would probably take the entire garage up at this point, I keep the boxes as they flatten nicely.
I do keep the foam for very special statues but that's the best I can do. And Hot Toys since they aren't usally too bad I keep the inner plastic packing stuff.

Your lucky if you have the space but some of us have no other option. Reselling isn't really a big concern to me anyways I never sell anything. I'm more likely to give something away to a friend.

Obviously renting storage space just for foam is burning far more money over time.

It is what it is.

I collect and display statues not foam ultimately.

Be glad you foam keepers, I'm making your stuff worth more.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote