Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
ratchet
Mandarin

How artists price their art...

I've spoken to quite a few artists in the past few days. It seems that there is no exact way to price art - most of them have price points that they can all seem to agree on...

Most charge by character. If you want a vs. piece then it's usually double. That makes sense for the most part - even though one guy took way longer on Spiderman for someone than my Hulk vs. piece - mainly because Spiderman's costume is way more involved.

A Lot of artists bring sketches with them - and when you ask for one they try to direct you to one that is sitting on the table. When you say - yeah, that's nice but I was wondering if you could do it in this pose - the artist seems ticked off. Maybe I'm off on this but the sketches on the table are like the day old muffins when there's an offer for fresh ones if you just ask...

pencils is one price and inks are more - which makes total sense - what doesn't is the amount that the inks cost. Some double the price. Pencil Sketch? $20 Inks? $40. Others only charge a fraction more - which, to me, makes way more sense.

One artist, sitting at a table sketching, had a bunch of his original pages on the table with him. I asked about Incredible Hulk #111 - which hardly has the Hulk in it - mostly Hercules. Now, I just bought 2 pages of Hulk from Planet Hulk - each page was chock full of Hulk-iness! I bought both pages for about $250. I asked this guy about a Incredible Hulk page that had 1 Hulk shot, but he was in the backround, not very clear - and it had about 6 panels on the page. When I asked him - he didn't even look at the page - he just looked at me and shrugged. "Uhhh... I'm not sure. $400?"

What the?!? $400!? Are people seeking out Hercules pages? That seemed really ridiculous to me.

Does anyone have certain rules about the amount they would pay for a piece?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
patrickwm68
The Flash

I don't pay more than $100.00 for any commission. Anymore than that is not worth it to me.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

it's a crazy biz and I only try to figure it out to an extent ... all artists and dealers do things differently ... I usually just keep looking around and inquiring (ie the PMs we exchanged recently) until I find an artist I like for a price I am willing to pay.

Now, let's see those PH pages!!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
I don't pay more than $100.00 for any commission. Anymore than that is not worth it to me.
wow who do you get art from for under 100.00
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

It all depends on how popular they think they are at the time. Price goes up exponentially to their perceived popularity.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
It all depends on how popular they think they are at the time. Price goes up exponentially to their perceived popularity.
That's true for sure! I remember McGuiness when he first did the Incredible Hulk back in the late 90's - he was at a convention sitting at a table with NO ONE around him. Now is a different story...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Royd
Producer
Producer

Heh, I remember purchasing the (full-size) original to a swimsuit trading card featuring Zealot along with an unpublished splash page with Redwing from Adam Hughes for around $200.00 back in 1995.

He couldn't locate the unpublished Redwing page so he threw in two other pieces for me (partially inked She-Hulk and a Barb Wire on motorbike). Not bad for $200.00 - happy memories

You can see the above-mentioned pieces in my CAF gallery - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=303

He found the Redwing splash page a couple of years later and I promptly purchased it! Best,

Royd (who can't afford current AH! prices but that's what Adam's popularity and talent commands )
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Heh, I remember purchasing the (full-size) original to a swimsuit trading card featuring Zealot along with an unpublished splash page with Redwing from Adam Hughes for around $200.00 back in 1995.

He couldn't locate the unpublished Redwing page so he threw in two other pieces for me (partially inked She-Hulk and a Barb Wire on motorbike). Not bad for $200.00 - happy memories

You can see the above-mentioned pieces in my CAF gallery - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=303

He found the Redwing splash page a couple of years later and I promptly purchased it! Best,

Royd (who can't afford current AH! prices but that's what Adam's popularity and talent commands )
Ah the good old days. I met Tim Sale in 1995 and was able to commission a Joker piece for $40.00. No waiting in line, just walked up to him in artist's alley, said hello and asked to get a commission.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

i can't see dropping $500 on a commission (maybe a Neal Adams....maybe). Just not worth it to me. Sure they are great and nice to look at but I have a great Lim/Milgrom Surfer vs Thanos that did not even come close to that amount (And that includes the framing!).
gman is offline   Reply With Quote