Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 AM   #1
jonny_noog
Doh!

Repair advice from the pros?

Hello,

I originally posted this over on the Painter's Corner, but with no replies after some weeks now, I'm hoping I might have better luck here. I am new to this site, so if I'm breaching any double posting rules or something, please let me know and I'm happy to have my previous post deleted or whatever works. So anyway, here goes...

I recently purchased an AoW Nosferatu Zodd (2013) statue from a private seller. The seller made a commendable effort to package the statue up for delivery, but unfortunately the statue arrived with some minor damage. One can see a few places where the paint has been rubbed off or possibly the polystone has been slightly chipped so that one can see the bare off-white underneath:

Just wondering if anyone here can give me some advice as to the best way to repair this damage? What paint would be best to use on polystone? Is an undercoat of any kind necessary? Any tips on colour matching and so on?

I can post more pics in better light if this would help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
jonny_noog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Possible the paint is just chipped if its thick paint.

What you can do is get any acrylic paint and touch it up. Small spots like that you don't need to put primer on it etc..

just hit a hobby store snag a $3 paint brush, and some white and black acrylic paint.

If you know a hobby store that sells miniature figures for those war games, they prob have small tubes of acrylic paint you can match out of the bottle.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
jonny_noog
Doh!

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind and see how I go.
jonny_noog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Ash
Kindly Asked To Leave

Does anyone know how I can fix this statue with touch up paint? In the pic you can see by Darth Mauls nose there is a line of black paint in the center with green arrows pointing to it should be painted red. How can I either remove the black or paint it over with red?

Also a little bit of red paint is by his right nostril. So how can I paint that black? Any advice is appreciated. I cant find any local artist that repairs or does touch ups on statues.

What are some methods I can do? What paints and brush should I get?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	94674  
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
SONICobra
Batman

just use some acrylics like Tamiya, createx, model master, Vallejo... mix colors to get a match, test in a small usually nonvisible area, touch up inside the chip and slowly build up till the paint is flush. looks like mauls face so I would just seal it with testors dullcoat but mask off the eyes
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
Ash
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
just use some acrylics like Tamiya, createx, model master, Vallejo... mix colors to get a match, test in a small usually nonvisible area, touch up inside the chip and slowly build up till the paint is flush. looks like mauls face so I would just seal it with testors dullcoat but mask off the eyes
Thanks! It doesnt have a chip.. There was black paint by the center of his nose where it suppose to be red. The center of his nose is suppose to be "V" shaped. Close in the pic you can see the sculptors etched lines making the "V" but the painter didnt follow the etched lines and added extra black in the wrong spot. So, I wanted to paint that area red over the black making that "V" shape better. Do I have to remove any of the black paint with remover or can I just paint over the black with red once I match it?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
SONICobra
Batman

im familiar with his tattoos, see below

I was talking about the chips on the lower part of his nose. for the "v-portion" I would try this - BUT YOU ARE WARNED, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK - take a brand new x-acto blade, dip it in rubbing alcohol just so the blade is not dry but not dripping and try to very lightly scrape the black paint off the portion you want to remove. try not to let the alcohol get on anything else. worst case scenario you have to touch up the red portion, which again I would suggest those paints and mixing colors until you get a match and again seal with a dullcoat. otherwise you can just try painting over the black portion with red but it may take a few coats and might build up and get gloppy

which piece is this? looks like the mech legs pf, if its the lsf or a bust I would definitely not try just painting over it at that scale

again, all this stuff is attempt at your own risk - I cannot guarantee results but its what I would try if I didn't want to strip and repaint from scratch

Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
Ash
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
im familiar with his tattoos, see below

I was talking about the chips on the lower part of his nose. for the "v-portion" I would try this - BUT YOU ARE WARNED, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK - take a brand new x-acto blade, dip it in rubbing alcohol just so the blade is not dry but not dripping and try to very lightly scrape the black paint off the portion you want to remove. try not to let the alcohol get on anything else. worst case scenario you have to touch up the red portion, which again I would suggest those paints and mixing colors until you get a match and again seal with a dullcoat. otherwise you can just try painting over the black portion with red but it may take a few coats and might build up and get gloppy

which piece is this? looks like the mech legs pf, if its the lsf or a bust I would definitely not try just painting over it at that scale

again, all this stuff is attempt at your own risk - I cannot guarantee results but its what I would try if I didn't want to strip and repaint from scratch

Thanks for all the info, I highly appreciate it.. It is the LSF. Im just worrried since it was a $2000 piece. I love it but, want to fix the flaws. I was stupid unboxing the piece on day 32 due to being busy, so Sideshow denied me a replacement head since it was 2 days past the time to make a claim. I learned the hard way and now I check pieces right away. Even when you pay premium prices their QC is still bad. Anyway, Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 AM   #9
SONICobra
Batman

for a piece that size that you spent that much money on I would strip it and repaint it or have someone professionally repaint it - just my opinion at 1/2 scale that would drive me nuts
Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Does anyone know how I can fix this statue with touch up paint? In the pic you can see by Darth Mauls nose there is a line of black paint in the center with green arrows pointing to it should be painted red. How can I either remove the black or paint it over with red?

Also a little bit of red paint is by his right nostril. So how can I paint that black? Any advice is appreciated. I cant find any local artist that repairs or does touch ups on statues.

What are some methods I can do? What paints and brush should I get?
looks like it's not just the 3 things you highlighted that's the problem. the overall painting is just unequivocally sloppy. lots of overlap with the blacks. was that all done with a paintbrush?

it's just messy. strip it and repaint it. you can't go wrong since it's only monotone red and black to begin with.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote