Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
sputnik
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Protecting statues from water damage.

Are some paints better than others, or is there a sealer that would help protect statues from extended water exposure?
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
EndoPredAliens
Kindly Asked To Leave

Wow, where do you live? It may be time to move to higher ground.
EndoPredAliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Almart
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

the Nautilus
Almart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
sputnik

I found Atlantis and am seriously considering moving.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I would think twice before spray water seal over statues as it might make the entire statue with a glossy look to it. Also, Atlantis and statues just don't make a good fit.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
EndoPredAliens
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
I found Atlantis and am seriously considering moving.
AWESOME!
EndoPredAliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
sputnik

Can I take your FM Alien with me?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
sputnik

Here's someone's dilema, posted in Bowen section......

I had a flood in my basement over the weekend due to a storm here in NY...And I have to say I am not happy at all with my Bowen Statues...I am not sure if it was due to crappy paint, or the statue just being to porous.. Anyway here is what happened...

Alot of my Statues are still in the Original Boxes because I will be moving withing the next 6-9 months...So anyway I had 4 Bowen Statues and 4 SS statues get Soaked...(only the Bases of the Statues were submerged)
My Damaged Bowen are --Spidey- Symbiote, REG and Scarlet Spider and A Spider Woman, all FS...After 2 days of being in the Water the paint Bubbled up all over the Base and they are watter logged...The SS pieces were in the water the same time. And All I Did was wipe them dry and they are 100% fine...WTF!!! (those were my SIM, Indy PF, IM classic Comiquette and Celtic Predator mask)

Why would this only happen to my Bown Pieces??

Did Bowen use Cheap paint back in the Day..or cheaper material...Just can't not understand why this only happened to them...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:

I had a flood in my basement over the weekend due to a storm here in NY...And I have to say I am not happy at all with my Bowen Statues...I am not sure if it was due to crappy paint, or the statue just being to porous.. Anyway here is what happened...

Alot of my Statues are still in the Original Boxes because I will be moving withing the next 6-9 months...So anyway I had 4 Bowen Statues and 4 SS statues get Soaked...(only the Bases of the Statues were submerged)
My Damaged Bowen are --Spidey- Symbiote, REG and Scarlet Spider and A Spider Woman, all FS...After 2 days of being in the Water the paint Bubbled up all over the Base and they are watter logged...The SS pieces were in the water the same time. And All I Did was wipe them dry and they are 100% fine...WTF!!! (those were my SIM, Indy PF, IM classic Comiquette and Celtic Predator mask)

Did Bowen use Cheap paint back in the Day..or cheaper material...Just can't not understand why this only happened to them...
I have seen this post. The only thing the person can do is to let the entire statue dry out. If the paint is still bubbled or cracked, then the only way to fix it would be sanding and repaint. It would be a easy fix if it is just the black paint, otherwise it would be more complicated. Option #2 would be to have someone fix it, which might be costly when you factor in round trip shipping fees. Option #3 would be to sell them on Evil-bay to offset buying replacement statues.

For anyone that still have statues in the boxes, I would suggest put/seal them in large garbage bags to avoid this problem.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
garou_terry
Blue Falcon

Quote:

sputnik, you and me both man. i don't know if you heard about the big flood in the Philippines last year, my bowen cap (stat 99) and thor (stat 86) were both soaked. boxes of both are a mess. fortunately, my thor's stryo packaging apparently soaked in the brunt of the water, so my thor, on my last very thorough check, was still fine.

the cap's round base on the other hand had water bubbles in it. at first i thought that this was some kind of design that i didn't notice the first time around and i accidentally chipped it off. dang. i have been looking for someone, anyone to advice me on how i can go about this. have you any ideas or PM's regarding this matter now sputnik? if i would paint it myself, that would be no problem, i just want to be sure that the color would come out the same as the rest of the base..
garou_terry is offline   Reply With Quote