Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

IMO...of course the "big" companies are going to pay more...how much in return are they profiting from the image...so in turn the art will be more expensive...the artists want their cuts too...same reasoning as in sports...the better player gets the better paycheck cuz in turn he makes the most profit margin for the owner...

We can't profit in any way with our commission so there would be no reason to charge us the same rate for art...we are not using the art to make profit or bring in clientele to further expand our company or profit margin...if I get the same rights as Marvel or DC to use said image to make money like they do...maybe I would pay the same rates...
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
IMO...of course the "big" companies are going to pay more...how much in return are they profiting from the image...so in turn the art will be more expensive...the artists want their cuts too...same reasoning as in sports...the better player gets the better paycheck cuz in turn he makes the most profit margin for the owner...

We can't profit in any way with our commission so there would be no reason to charge us the same rate for art...we are not using the art to make profit or bring in clientele to further expand our company or profit margin...if I get the same rights as Marvel or DC to use said image to make money like they do...maybe I would pay the same rates...

I can't believe some people drink the Kool-Aid....

Artists DON'T SPEND THE AMOUNT OF TIME ON OUR ART THAT THEY DO ON PAGES FOR MARVEL OR DC. ARTISTS ARE ACTUALLY MAKING MORE DRAWING A FULL FIGURE PENCIL FOR $500 THEN THEY MAKE DRAWING A PAGE FOR MARVEL AND IT TAKES THEM 90 MIN OR LESS WHERE THE PAGE CAN TAKE ALL DAY.. If you want to add in the original art sale at the end, well the penciled fullsize is still more money for the time in most cases with that even added in.

Buying a J. Scott Campbell cover from Mitch for 3k-4k is a way better bargain then buying a fullsize commission for 2k. Also that commission takes Campbell less time to draw then the cover.

A ton of these artists are making bank on selling sketches under the table and making boot leg prints. Don't be fooled, they are making a ton of money from the little guy.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
IMO if an artist accepts a job and knows what he is being paid for the job he should treat all his clients the same way no matter how much the customer pays.The guy today that spends $200 could be the guy in charge a year later that spends $20,000.
If artists have problems with lower spending customers then I think they should stop taking commissions from them.
I agree - it's insulting at best to differentiate between clients - considering a certain group "patrons" and giving the group a lesser value.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
liamsynclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post

Artists DON'T SPEND THE AMOUNT OF TIME ON OUR ART THAT THEY DO ON PAGES FOR MARVEL OR DC. ARTISTS ARE ACTUALLY MAKING MORE DRAWING A FULL FIGURE PENCIL FOR $500 THEN THEY MAKE DRAWING A PAGE FOR MARVEL AND IT TAKES THEM 90 MIN OR LESS WHERE THE PAGE CAN TAKE ALL DAY.. If you want to add in the original art sale at the end, well the penciled fullsize is still more money for the time in most cases with that even added in.

Buying a J. Scott Campbell cover from Mitch for 3k-4k is a way better bargain then buying a fullsize commission for 2k. Also that commission takes Campbell less time to draw then the cover.

A ton of these artists are making bank on selling sketches under the table and making boot leg prints. Don't be fooled, they are making a ton of money from the little guy.
when I wrote this statement...I just had what Brooks said on my mind about what they get paid from the Company as opposed to what we pay and quality of the work...the whole clients versus patrons comment...we couldnt get the same quality or services cuz we dont pay the same money as they do...
Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:

It's too true - and even though they are taking our hard earned money - they still want to treat us as "less imporatant"
Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
when I wrote this statement...I just had what Brooks said on my mind about what they get paid from the Company as opposed to what we pay and quality of the work...the whole clients versus patrons comment...we couldnt get the same quality or services cuz we dont pay the same money as they do...
I highly doubt that's true - especially the "big name" artists.

And the whole "I am giving up my free time" garbage? No one asked you to! You're not giving up anything - you're being compensated for your time! If you don't like having to draw on your "time off" from having to draw - don't take commissions
Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well said.

Quote:

Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
liamsynclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post

And the whole "I am giving up my free time" garbage? No one asked you too! You're not giving up anything - you're being compensated for your time! If you don't like having to draw on your "time off" from having to draw - don't take commissions
exactly, its not free time if you are accepting commishes and taking payments...IMO you are now on the clock...no?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post

And the whole "I am giving up my free time" garbage? No one asked you too! You're not giving up anything - you're being compensated for your time! If you don't like having to draw on your "time off" from having to draw - don't take commissions
Agreed.

That's like people b!tching about their charity work taking up free time; I build houses for Habitat for Humanity, and one guy's always saying "this is my day off"... the only people there who aren't working there on their day off are the (paid) contractors.

Nobody's asking you to be there, asshole.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
exactly, its not free time if you are accepting commishes and taking payments...IMO you are now on the clock...no?
You get my Gmail, Mike?

I'm on my way to a bbq.. so.. not on for but a minute, but... it'd be great to get some feedback from you (via Gmail, regarding my idea) if you have a chance today. If not, no worries.

Happy 4th, bro...

Happy 4th, Ryan.