Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #151
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Well... the "Stargate" explanation, as you called it is really the "Star Trek" explanation, since Stargate stole the idea from the original Star Trek series. Trek had already introduced this idea back the 60's.
Way before my time grandpa
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #152
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I'm talking about Thor and Thor 2. Movies based on mythology (even Marvel's interpretation). You cannot tell me Odin is more known than Zeus. Greek mythology has always been popular, probably the most popular of the ancient world. Yet Marvel has spent a few hundred million bringing Thor, not even one of their top three characters to the big screen yet DC cannot adapt the most important female comic book character steeped in mythology and easily in their top three characters, apart from Spider-man more known than all of Marvels characters.
How is Thor and Thor 2 based on mythology? There not really gods as explained in the movie but advanced aliens who pretended to be gods to the less advance human race at the time.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #153
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Live action? They cast the Turtleman in this?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #154
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
How is Thor and Thor 2 based on mythology?
my god man you just love to argue don't you? it doesn't matter if they're aliens, zombie or friggin Smurfs in disguise Thor is obviously based around mythology no matter what random origin they decided to slap on it and you damn well know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
So, you think WW is more known than all of Marvel characters other than Spider-Man? Heh, that's a good one.
and you're nearly as bad as B2S is of course Wonder Woman is the most famous female comic character of all time, or are you going to argue that Black widow is more well known now because she's been in a couple movies? she's one of those characters that's so ingrained in the worlds culture that even people that have no clue who the hell she is have heard of her
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #155
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
How is Thor and Thor 2 based on mythology? There not really gods as explained in the movie but advanced aliens who pretended to be gods to the less advance human race at the time.
The fact that they're depicted as alien-like beings from another dimension doesn't discount the idea that in the 616 they're still regarded as gods. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. In fact, it's clear from the films that Norse mythology does exist in the MU, so arguably the characters in the film can be said to be based on both our mythology as well as the fictional mythoi built into the films.

So how exactly are they NOT built on mythology?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #156
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
my god man you just love to argue don't you? it doesn't matter if they're aliens, zombie or friggin Smurfs in disguise Thor is obviously based around mythology no matter what random origin they decided to slap on it and you damn well know it

and you're nearly as bad as B2S is of course Wonder Woman is the most famous female comic character of all time, or are you going to argue that Black widow is more well known now because she's been in a couple movies? she's one of those characters that's so ingrained in the worlds culture that even people that have no clue who the hell she is have heard of her

WW, sold exactly the way Thor was, is definitely the way to go. Marvel has already field tested audience reception to this tactic; twice.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #157
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post

WW, sold exactly the way Thor was is definitely the way to go and Marvel has already field tested audience reception to this tactic; twice.
Agreed; it's do-able, and has tons of promise. Furthemore, they sort of have to do it in order to make a Justice League film possible!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #158
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

There is even a sequence in the first Thor where Odin refers to humans having worshiped them. There is also a sequence in Capain America where Red Skull is looking for the cosmic cube and the Norse mythology was evident in the great hall.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #159
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Hell they are even referred to as gods in Avengers by both Black Widow and Iron Man. Loki refers to himself as god, Hulk calls him puny god.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #160
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Can't you read or are you just being dense on purpose? We are not arguing if the WW is the most well known female super hero in the world, but Bullseye's claim that WW is more well known than EVERY Marvel super hero other than Spider-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
That could be leveled at me if I were not a fan of Captain America which I am. I love his integrity and heroism considering he is not a powerful hero much like Daredevil who I also love. So your argument is invalid, at least in regards to your assertion towards my fanboyism. There is simply no way CA is as well known as WW world wide. He is a national character specific to America. He is essentially a comic book version of Audie Murphy. A hero for Americans. Hell even Marvel created a character Captain Britain as they knew he was specific to their comic book readers. Since the 40's his character has struggled to maintain readership as he was so specific to fighting Nazi's, something which could also be levelled at WW in many respects. The advantage she has over him in popularity is that she is one of only a few female characters who have had an impression on women. Her image transcends comics and she is employed by feminists as a role model. CA is competing against Spider-man and Wolverine and has fallen behind in that regards.
As I said before even as a child I knew about CA and other major Marvel characters like Hulk, IM, FF and Thor. Considering that I live in a country where comics are niche and read by few people, these characters must be well known enough to be picked by the publishers in my country. I can't say the same thing for WW.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote