Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

View Poll Results: Another Avengers Relaunch?
Yep, yet another relaunch! 8 88.89%
No, they'll keep it going.....ONE Marvel book has to hit #50! 0 0%
I gave up on The Avengers long ago! 1 11.11%
The movie will make all the difference! 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Hickman wrecked the FF and has made Avengers equally inaccessible. If he leaves, good riddance.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Except Hickmans Avengers and New Avengers are the first Avengers titles ive ever read and ive greatly enjoyed them. So accessibility is in no way a problem...

Lots of "grrrr its not like it was when i was a kid!" In this thread.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I think Hickman wrote the best modern FF run after Waid. His Avengers run hasn't been as good (there's been a real lack of focus and momentum this year), but I still enjoy the current books too. Clearly his writing style isn't for everyone.

On a related note, Marvel announced last night that Hickman's Avengers books are leading to a new Secret Wars crossover starting next May. I assume he'll shift over to that while Marvel relaunches the current books with new creative teams to capitalize on the movie.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

I am starting to really not even care. Unfortunately whenever I pick up a current or recent Avenger's book, I end up trying to piece things together. Janet & Havok had a kid somewhere, sometime & that's effecting what storyline? Stuff like that. I used to love the Avengers, but, by skipping the title(s) when they recently started popping up all over the place, I fear I stepped too far away and into the realm of confusion over the goings-on.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I haven't read Hickman's FF run but have heard nothing but positive reviews about it for the most part. I can see how his style would definitely be more suited to FF than Avengers though.

I've been reading comics for almost forty years and I am definitely not one to be crying about how "these books are not the way they were in my day" I have a great fondness for the books I grew up with, but then I can also say that for different books throughout the years, up until today. I love reading comics, not just certain eras of comics. Personally, I have just not enjoyed what Hickman is doing in Avengers. I think it's an ambitious story, it's just not what I want to read when I read Avengers. Having said all of this, I really think this story will read so much better when it's all said and done, rather than in monthly drips and drabs.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
I think Hickman wrote the best modern FF run after Waid. His Avengers run hasn't been as good (there's been a real lack of focus and momentum this year), but I still enjoy the current books too. Clearly his writing style isn't for everyone.

On a related note, Marvel announced last night that Hickman's Avengers books are leading to a new Secret Wars crossover starting next May. I assume he'll shift over to that while Marvel relaunches the current books with new creative teams to capitalize on the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I am starting to really not even care. Unfortunately whenever I pick up a current or recent Avenger's book, I end up trying to piece things together. Janet & Havok had a kid somewhere, sometime & that's effecting what storyline? Stuff like that. I used to love the Avengers, but, by skipping the title(s) when they recently started popping up all over the place, I fear I stepped too far away and into the realm of confusion over the goings-on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I haven't read Hickman's FF run but have heard nothing but positive reviews about it for the most part. I can see how his style would definitely be more suited to FF than Avengers though.

I've been reading comics for almost forty years and I am definitely not one to be crying about how "these books are not the way they were in my day" I have a great fondness for the books I grew up with, but then I can also say that for different books throughout the years, up until today. I love reading comics, not just certain eras of comics. Personally, I have just not enjoyed what Hickman is doing in Avengers. I think it's an ambitious story, it's just not what I want to read when I read Avengers. Having said all of this, I really think this story will read so much better when it's all said and done, rather than in monthly drips and drabs.
I enjoyed Hickman's first year of FF, then it just went off the track for me!

Much of what plagued the last year or so of his FF run has also been problematic with his Avengers stuff....zero characterization, stories that went on too long, no continuity between the rest of the Avengers books (Havok is spying on, and clearly still cares for, Lorna in X-FACTOR, but he's with Jan in UNCANNY).

I've also been reading comics for 40+, and while I'm certainly open to new things, I think a lot of the overall continued downward spiral for comics is due to the overall lack of direction and/or focus. The fact is...most of the companies just are NOT bring in new readers. And the same time, they're pissing off and/or pushing away long time readers. So the market just keeps shrinking, smaller and smaller.

In the Avengers' case, you have to have someone you can handle a big cast, equally juggling action and characterization. Contrary to a lot of opinions, the larger the cast is, the more important characterization....it's the only way to know who everyone is, and thus care for them! That, for me, has been the biggest problem with Hickman's run....I just haven't cared about the characters. (NEW has been a little bit better than the main book, but the story line in NEW has just dragged on WAY too long).
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I enjoyed Hickman's first year of FF, then it just went off the track for me!

Much of what plagued the last year or so of his FF run has also been problematic with his Avengers stuff....zero characterization, stories that went on too long, no continuity between the rest of the Avengers books (Havok is spying on, and clearly still cares for, Lorna in X-FACTOR, but he's with Jan in UNCANNY).
Havok doesn't appear in any of Hickman's Avengers books so how is that lack of continuity his fault?

And I think it's quite obvious that the entire Uncanny Avengers Planet X story where Havok and Wasp began their relationship, takes place after the current issues of X-Factor because Havok's face was burned immediately after the current timeline was reset in Uncanny while Havok's burned face has yet to show up in X-Factor.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The only continuity problem I found was in an issue of Uncanny Avengers after Planet X which showed old man Steve Rogers alongside Thor with Mjolnir strapped to his side. Thor lost Mjolnir during Original Sin before Captain America aged so that's an error on the artist.

And Wolverine losing his healing power also apparently takes place after Planet X which seems like a big time discrepancy (didn't he lose that power over a year ago?). Anyway, again, these have to do with Uncanny Avengers being out of sync with the rest of the Marvel universe and not Hickman.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Uncanny Avengers was lagging behind everything else in terms of continuity until recently. The whole Apocalypse Twins/Planet X story was too continuous to allow Remender to catch up before now.

Thor has been a recurring continuity problem, though. He's been showing up in a lot of post-Original Sin books still carrying Mjolnir. Obviously not all the writers are on the same page, which is the fault of editorial for not keeping better track of the various books and how they all fit together. It's not like Thor showing up out of turn is a story-breaking mistake, but it is annoying how often stuff like this slips through the cracks these days.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just wait for Wolverine to show up in various books after he died.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote