Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Game Over

Guys, I'm proud to announce that my Ryan Ottley commission is completed. After all the trials and tribulations, hotels and airfare, dozens and dozens of emails, thousands of curse words, hours spent dreaming, it has finally happened. The first time I contacted Ryan was in 2011, that's dedication. He's coming here to Phoenix next week and in the past I had offered to help however I could. After a very frustrating ECCC for me, I had kept quiet. Out of the blue, got an email from Ryan last week about not only my commission, but, also the possibility of me helping at the con. So, apparently, I'll be slinging Invincible swag with Ryan Ottley at PHX Con next weekend.

Now, the commission is one that as changed at least a dozen times over the last few years. In SLC last year, I had it locked down. Paid for it and then was refunded. I thought maybe it was the subject matter, so, I added a few other options for ECCC. I let Ryan choose. I absolutely cannot wait to see it. Full color 11"x17" of a character that has never been drawn.

In the Invincible universe, Lord Argall used to be the ruler of he Viltrumites. Invincible and Omni-Man are direct descendants. The only time Argall has been seen is a DPS (during Viltrumite war) where the good guys are flying through the center of a planet and it explodes. Argall can be seen as only a statue that is being destroyed. Also, Argalls skull was kept as a memento by current a Invincible baddie, Thragg. So, my commission is of Lord Argall in all his prime. Ryan has said it will definitely make it to the back of the next TPB and maybe even recur if the story has an Argall flashback.

Ryan had offered to show me the piece and even send it with some prints I'm collecting here for him before the show, but, I declined. Having said that, Thursday, May 28, I will finally lay my eyes on something that has been the bane of my collecting existence since I've been a collector. Wow.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Wookiee
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Awesome tale! Looking forward to seeing you post the finished piece! Have fun at the show.
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
BillC
Hellboy

Hey now! As Cartman would say, that's hellacool. Congrats!!!

Having the series creator do up a piece on someone meant to be in the storyline but never drawn- that is amazing. That's a huge deal. And to potentially have it published as well is also wild. Glad to hear you may be spending time with him, and can possibly get the chance to have him explain stuff from the series you were wondering about (if there was anything...)

Great news.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Good story and (probably) a fantastic commission! I'm reading up on some Invincible back issues at the moment. I just finished 'The Viltrumite War' and know exactly the scene you're talking about.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

congrats dude. hopefully ottley goes all out. you definitely deserve a masterpiece after the long wait, the multiple shows and the strong support that you have provided the title and his artwork!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
MrYac
Hercules

pretty awesome. try and tone down the fatal attraction vibe when he's trapped in that small booth with you though. don't want to scare him away the first day
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Glad to hear this saga turned out well for you! Are you considering this the send off/feather-in-the-cap for your Invincible collecting or re-opening it?
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #8
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Feel good story of years of harassment and stalking finally paying off. Congrats!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #9
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold Gravitas View Post
Glad to hear this saga turned out well for you! Are you considering this the send off/feather-in-the-cap for your Invincible collecting or re-opening it?
More feather in the cap, I think. There are still pages left that I'd like, but, I have no idea where they are and I currently have no inclination to exhaust myself again pursuing them. This is gonna be a good way to send off. Whew.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #10
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I would expect this to be nothing short of Epic!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote