Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #31
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
The show's definately top notch, no doubt about that, and I don't want everything exposed, but if you're gonna set something up in previous episodes you should atleast have some sort of pay off for it.
I guess I just saw it differently.

I actually think it was intentional to leave us wanting more or even be somewhat unsatisfied with the resolution. Much the same way Rust and Marty were. Rust's dismay over not getting everyone involved and Marty's response "but we got our guy" illustrated their disappointment and ultimate acceptance that despite not revealing the whole conspiracy it was enough for them, that it had to be enough given their cumulative sacrifices. That in the end light prevailed over darkness but also that the darkness will always overshadow the light. Marty - "the darkness takes up more real estate in the sky."

As far as the Yellow King goes, I don't think that was the groundskeeper Errol at all but instead a symbolic archetype. A greater ideal that Errol and the group worshiped. Errol was just one of many followers, but he was still "their guy." This just reinforces Rust's theory on the "sprawl" of this group and to me that was maybe more frightening than anything.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #32
AsOneDead
You got red on you

I'm good with all those things, well atleast now I am, but one thing that seemed pretty important but there was no mention of again was the weird nature of Marty's eldest daughter. Was she a victim or a witness to the cult's doings? She did do those sexual drawings of masked men and women. Seemed there was more to that.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Also, she had her dolls playing out some weird sex scene.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #34
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I'm good with all those things, well atleast now I am, but one thing that seemed pretty important but there was no mention of again was the weird nature of Marty's eldest daughter. Was she a victim or a witness to the cult's doings? She did do those sexual drawings of masked men and women. Seemed there was more to that.
Quote:
Also, she had her dolls playing out some weird sex scene.
Oh I'm totally with you there. Look no further than my theory a few posts back. I really thought I was onto something when I picked up on even more red flags during my second time through the series.

I think the answer is we were reading into it too much, trying to connect things that weren't there. There was a lot of symbolism in the series used to draw parallels. Her behavior was likely only foreshadowing how her parents and maybe even Marty's job was damaging her. I think if she had ties to the cult in any way that would have been revealed.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
The show's definately top notch, no doubt about that, and I don't want everything exposed, but if you're gonna set something up in previous episodes you should atleast have some sort of pay off for it.
Agreed. So many interesting subplots were built up in those early episodes, yet they had absolutely no resolution, especially the one with Marty's elder daughter. I understand that Marty's career, his absence from the home, and his infidelity could cause his daughter to turn away from him and act out - sure! But her pictures and her dolls indicate that it was so much more than that. So why bother to write and film those specific scenes, yet not address it?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Maybe she got into some of Marty's case files? What she did in all those cases was an attempt to get attention as far as I can tell due to the neglect from her parents, specifically her father. I think what they were trying to illustrate was she was simply the product of a broken home, nothing more.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #37
Vallos
Jubilee

Carcosa.

Interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcosa

When I heard the word mentioned on the show, I immediately recognized it. Not from the link I just provided, but when reading the history of the Church of Satan many years ago.

Shaving the head is also traditional to the Yezidi devil worshippers as a rite of passage that the emerging adept must perform. The razor for this rite is washed in the waters of Zamzam, the subterranean well of Islam said to be the point of origin for underground streams flowing under the Seven Towers of Satan. The caverns beneath the Towers are supposedly tributaries leading to the place of the Satanic Masters, known as Shamballah, or Carcosa. Thus, shorn of his locks, he leaves the world of the descendants of Adam behind him. To make the ritual complete, LaVey declared 1966 Year One, Anno Satanas—the first year of the reign of Satan.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/cos-church-of-satan.php

I always loved the sound of the word and took it as my gamertag on Xbox Live back in 2001. However I could not, for some reason use the spelling and had to change it to Carkosa.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #38
Babytoxie
Ghost

I recognized the name "Carcosa" from the works of Ambrose Bierce (I'd read his stories years ago); however, I was unaware of Robert Chambers and The King in Yellow. It's in public domain. I may have to get it from Librivox.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #39
Vallos
Jubilee

The creator of this show was certainly reading Robert Chambers, which now I am also intrigued in reading.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #40
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
The creator of this show was certainly reading Robert Chambers, which now I am also intrigued in reading.
Yep. Sounds pretty interesting.

Robert W. Chambers - The King in Yellow

The King in Yellow is a book of short stories by American writer Robert W. Chambers, first published by F. Tennyson Neely in 1895.

The book is named after a fictional play with the same title which recurs as a motif through some of the stories. The first half of the book features highly esteemed weird stories, and the book is described by S.T. Joshi as a classic in the field of the supernatural. There are ten stories, the first four of which, "The Repairer of Reputations", "The Mask", "In the Court of the Dragon" and "The Yellow Sign", mention The King in Yellow, a forbidden play which induces despair or madness in those who read it. "The Yellow Sign" inspired a film of the same name released in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow