Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Statue Repair

I have a Green Lantern Bust with a small dent on the green plastic chest symbol. The dent is about 8/32" wide and 3/32" deep. Does anyone have suggestions for repairing this please ? I need to match the color and texture as closely as possible.
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
06gto

The bust is the larger DC Direct 1:2 size. The chest emblem apprears to be plastic,fiberglass, or clear resin. I'm not sure which.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
06gto

Help ! Help ! Does anyone make clear and colored resin or fiberglass or plastic that I can soften enough to shape and then that will set ?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
06gto

Did I do something to offend the sculptors ? If so, I apologize profusely. Why the icy silence ?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Do u have a picture. We need to see what the issues are.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I think the silence is due to there is no solution to your problem. Well, at least probably no easy solution. No matter what material you use to fill the dent, I don't think you can make the dent "disappear". Even if you make a perfectly smooth repair, where the dent meets the new material, you might get refraction and it would still show. Plus I think it would take experienced model kit building/painting skills as it would require fine sanding and polishing to blend a repair. Plus I wouldn't want to try it on something that is attached to a fabric covered figure due to possibly damaging the fabric from debris or splattering. I think you are best off leaving it be.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
06gto

It's too small for me to take a decent photo. Like I said in the beginnning it is very tiny and would only require filler the size of maybe 2 drops. Is there any type of clear green colored plastic or resin or fiberglass that I can apply in a liquid or at least soft form that will harden upon setting.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I have never used it, but many modelers use Future floor wax as it is a thin clear acrylic. I've seen it airbrushed as a gloss cote. I've also seen where you dip clear plastic model parts to get a smooth gloss.

You could also try clear paint like Tamiya. You can try clear green and clear to get the right shade.

Always practice on scraps. Use these recommendations at your own risk.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
06gto

Thanks for your reply. Yes, clear paint might work. I didn't know anyone made it. I would do the same thing you recommended with floor wax except I would use glossy sealer but I don't know how to color it. That always worked fine as a durable filler for small areas, but, again, I don't know how to color it so it would maintain clearness (clarity?). Maybe a comibination of the sealer and paint ? My original idea was to try to liquify or soften a similarly colored piece of clear plasitc and the apply it to the area. I'm not sure how to soften the plastic though.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
06gto

Does anyone know the best way to liquify or soften hard plastic ?