Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #2471
Foxgod
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I've asked the same thing in this thread, and all of the people claiming she looks Asian have yet to provide a single picture of an Asian woman that looks anything like this portrait.

Lucy Liu? Are you kidding me? God, I cannot imagine how offended she might be if she knew she was being compared to this.
I gave two examples who together got all the features of Psylocke.
If i am supposed to find a woman that looks exactly like her, how am i supposed to do that? not all statues are based off existing people.

The fact that all her features are present in two different asian women, is more then enough evidence the portrait is asian.
Theres probably some random asian woman out there that looks exactly like the Psylocke statue, but finding her is not a possible task.

So your request is not realistic.
I have a more realistic one, why dont you describe what isnt Asian about her face? that summary is far less daunting then what you are asking.
Foxgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #2472
Foxgod
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
Isn't that what this whole collecting industry is based on? personal taste. You can make you claims till you are blue in the face it will not convince anyone that this thing looks like any of the people you have mentioned because their taste are obviously different than yours. We don't have to like her. You like her. You buy her. Simple.
That is true, but there are people here claiming she doesnt look asian, and thats just bull.
Its logical not everybody can find the same face beautifull, our minds dont work like that.

I am merely countering the people who state she isnt looking asian.
While the proto indeed looked weird, the final piece has a very asian look.
Unless you are used to the way Kpop girls look, but 99% of those had sugery.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2473
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Yeah and who put you on the "what Asians should look like" committee?
If I can choose, put me on the " Asians don't look like that Psylocke" committee instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Did God create all Asians from a template and printed them out?
If you really want to talk about God in this thread, I prefer: "
God - and we should praise His great wisdom- didn't create Asians resembling this Psylocke."
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2474
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxgod View Post
I gave two examples who together got all the features of Psylocke.
If i am supposed to find a woman that looks exactly like her, how am i supposed to do that? not all statues are based off existing people.

The fact that all her features are present in two different asian women, is more then enough evidence the portrait is asian.
Theres probably some random asian woman out there that looks exactly like the Psylocke statue, but finding her is not a possible task.

So your request is not realistic.
I have a more realistic one, why dont you describe what isnt Asian about her face? that summary is far less daunting then what you are asking.
Actually, it is. In almost EVERY SINGLE thread pertaining to a female statue, people talk about how X character looks like Y actress. Rogue looks like Fergie, or Angelina Jolie. The initial WIP of Dejah Thoris had her looking like Naya Rivera. The original portrait that was nixed for Psylocke looked just like Jessie J (to me). All real life women.

But, for the people that are claiming "oh but she's Asian," have yet to find a single picture of celebrity or non-celebrity alike that looks even a tiny hint of what this portrait looks like. Even Googling for pictures yields no results. Trust me I've looked many times trying to find one picture of any woman that looks like this.

Now, as Grphyx stated we all see different things. If you see Lucy Liu, then more power to you. I don't see even a hint of resemblance.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #2475
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
I only hear statements, and zero arguments, my comparison between Psylocke, Mizuno and Lucy is far more in depth then any of the Psylocke haters have given.
Fox, here is my problem with the Psylocke portrait -- which others seem to agree with -- it's not the cheekbones, its the eyes. The defined cheekbones are fine on the statue and do match the beautiful ladies you've used for your human references. The problem is the eyes which SS made (IMO) stereotypical (almost to the point of racist) with the high angle and slant. Neither of the women you have chosen have eyes with that position or shape. Nobody is saying that Lucy or Mizuno don't have upturned, almond eyes. What we are saying is those eyes are NOT what is on the statue. IMO SS went damn near old-school-now-banned-from-TV-Looney Toons with those eyes.

At some point, somebody at SS looked at it and had the paints changed because never once did Psylocke have that much eye make-up. And I think that change was for the better. She looks better now, not great, but much much better.

And to agree with you, Psylocke at one point had a hint of Lucy Lui -- with the original portrait. Not this one. Damn the first portrait was stunning AF.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #2476
Foxgod
Justice League

Quote:
Actually, it is. In almost EVERY SINGLE thread pertaining to a female statue, people talk about how X character looks like Y actress. Rogue looks like Fergie, or Angelina Jolie. The initial WIP of Dejah Thoris had her looking like Naya Rivera. The original portrait that was nixed for Psylocke looked just like Jessie J (to me). All real life women.

But, for the people that are claiming "oh but she's Asian," have yet to find a single picture of celebrity or non-celebrity alike that looks even a tiny hint of what this portrait looks like. Even Googling for pictures yields no results. Trust me I've looked many times trying to find one picture of any woman that looks like this.

Now, as Grphyx stated we all see different things. If you see Lucy Liu, then more power to you. I don't see even a hint of resemblance.
Not all, there are statues that dont resemble any celebrity. i have several.
Again, i see Mizuno in her, with the eyes of Lucy, she doesnt look like 1 person, because shes not based on any person.
Its a made up asian person, that looks asian.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #2477
Foxgod
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Fox, here is my problem with the Psylocke portrait -- which others seem to agree with -- it's not the cheekbones, its the eyes. The defined cheekbones are fine on the statue and do match the beautiful ladies you've used for your human references. The problem is the eyes which SS made (IMO) stereotypical (almost to the point of racist) with the high angle and slant. Neither of the women you have chosen have eyes with that position or shape. Nobody is saying that Lucy or Mizuno don't have upturned, almond eyes. What we are saying is those eyes are NOT what is on the statue. IMO SS went damn near old-school-now-banned-from-TV-Looney Toons with those eyes.

At some point, somebody at SS looked at it and had the paints changed because never once did Psylocke have that much eye make-up. And I think that change was for the better. She looks better now, not great, but much much better.

And to agree with you, Psylocke at one point had a hint of Lucy Lui -- with the original portrait. Not this one. Damn the first portrait was stunning AF.
I was never defending the proto, i am defending the production piece.
If you read back, youl notice people are hating on the production piece, claiming she doesnt look asian.

I am fine with people not liking her, i am not fine with the claim she doesnt look asian, because she does.
ps, the original in my opinion, looks manly, looked more like the Rock in a wig. asians have soft pointy shapes, the original was square and pronnounced in masculine ways.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #2478
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Not all, there are statues that dont resemble any celebrity. i have several.
Again, i see Mizuno in her, with the eyes of Lucy, she doesnt look like 1 person, because shes not based on any person.
Its a made up asian person, that looks asian.
Then I'm happy for you, and we can just agree to disagree.

But, some people didn't think the prototype looked Asian, and the same applies to the production piece. For some of us, nothing has changed. Simple as that.

Personally, if Sideshow actually does what some people are hoping for and releases the old portrait on an X-Force variant, I'd buy it for sure and have it repainted to her classic colors.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #2479
Foxgod
Justice League

Quote:
Then I'm happy for you, and we can just agree to disagree.

But, some people didn't think the prototype looked Asian, and the same applies to the production piece. For some of us, nothing has changed. Simple as that.

Personally, if Sideshow actually does what some people are hoping for and releases the old portrait on an X-Force variant, I'd buy it for sure and have it repainted to her classic colors.
Tastes are different, but i dont want the an X force variant with a Dwayne the Rock Johnson portrait on it.

Mizuno + Lucy > The Rock.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #2480
SONICobra
Batman

the new portrait reminds me of jennifer carpenter from dexter (who is not asian at all)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote