Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #41
B_dub345
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Correct. A child could still view your video. YouTube is putting the onus on content creators rather than shouldering it themselves.

Fair? Absolutely not.
Maybe I'm missing something here but what's to stop you from age gating your videos (restricting them to 18 and up) which will guarantee the viewer be signed in to confirm their age and no kids will even be able to watch your videos unless they falsify their own account information? And at that point that's on YouTube/google, not you.

Using this method there would seemingly be no way for the FTC to come at you since there'd be no way for kids to view your content in the first place.

Is that not an option?
B_dub345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #42
FeistyMidget
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I would be willing to bet my entire statue collection that the FTC will never come after statue reviewers for this. If you're reviewing adult collectibles, not targeting kids with any content, and not really making any money - it's not worth their time. The FTC usually doesn't do the audits themselves, they hire outside consulting firms to gather data they need to bring lawsuits/cases and rely on their recommendations. That's a lot of taxpayer money they need to spend. They're going to focus their time, money, and effort the big fish that can net them more money than they spend. When they're deciding on the amount of the fine, they're going to look at what your intentions were, whether or not you profited, how many people were impacted. No statue reviewer is going to have to worry about getting a fine, much less a $42K one.
FeistyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #43
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyMidget View Post
I would be willing to bet my entire statue collection that the FTC will never come after statue reviewers for this. If you're reviewing adult collectibles, not targeting kids with any content, and not really making any money - it's not worth their time. The FTC usually doesn't do the audits themselves, they hire outside consulting firms to gather data they need to bring lawsuits/cases and rely on their recommendations. That's a lot of taxpayer money they need to spend. They're going to focus their time, money, and effort the big fish that can net them more money than they spend. When they're deciding on the amount of the fine, they're going to look at what your intentions were, whether or not you profited, how many people were impacted. No statue reviewer is going to have to worry about getting a fine, much less a $42K one.
I hope you're right! Everything you say is logical, but I worry about assuming that a government agency will operate in a logical manner.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #44
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Very interesting topic. As a non YouTube content creator, but an avid consumer.....a couple of things occur to me.

1. YouTube may have just signed its own death warrant by throwing content creators under the bus. Sure, they may have saved themselves in the short term, but in the long term, their duplicity and greed may have buried their company.

2. COPPA is a US federal law. This is important, because it means only US citizens and people operating in US territory can be guilty of breaking this law. If you're a content creator based in (for example) Sweden, creating content in Sweden, then it's impossible for you to break a US federal law.

On the other hand, for YouTube to operate in Sweden, it must comply with Swedish regional laws....If COPPA is not a statute law in Sweden, then no Swedish citizen can be persued by the US government for fines.

There could even be grounds for a legal battle (in Sweden) if YouTube closed the Swedish content creators account on the basis of violating US federal law....but that will depend on the terms and conditions of YouTube platform usage.

So, COPPA is a problem for US folks and YouTube. That is of course, until YouTube opens up a non US HQ and basically bases itself outside the US, and basically washes its hands of US YouTube content creators.....watch this space
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #45
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyMidget View Post
Funny you should mention fish- the ftc called youtube the barrel, all the content creators are fish, and taking us out will be like shooting fish in a barrel. They apparently claim to have the means to sweep 30 million channels and have a variety of means to review them expeditiously.

Here’s the video: https://youtu.be/yXP7RK8RiLg

These guys are a bunch of child exploiters themselves with dollar signs in their eyes. That Samwise Gamgee bastard pissed me off with his fish analogy. How does a govt official get away with saying that when your kid would get arrested for saying it in school?
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #46
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

heard another interesting take, this all happens right as Disney+ is being launched...

https://youtu.be/Zn4nGWhLuys
Old 11-23-2019, 03:27 AM   #47
ukshaun
Hercules

From what i can gather, users are deciding to take down their videos and move else where to Facebook or Twitch
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #48
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Another thing to consider is the snowball effect. Youtube and the FTC said that even if your channel isnt directed toward kids but large amounts of kids are watching it, youre screwed. So whats gonna happen after all the childrens content leaves youtube and the kids are still out there watching? All the child stats on content that thought they were in the clear are going to rise. Either the ftc is the stupidest organization in the history of govt, or theyre dirty and this is either about payoffs from Disney or the corporate media trying to take back influence.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #49
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
FTC said that even if your channel isnt directed toward kids but large amounts of kids are watching it, youre screwed.
I don’t know how they’re going to determine that large amount of kids are watching a channel.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #50
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I don’t know how they’re going to determine that large amount of kids are watching a channel.
That social media lawyer guy posted an update. Apparently youtube hid that there is a general audience exception in the coppa law. Instead of giving us a general audience label, youtube forced us to choose black and white- because they cant make money off the gray.

I’m not sure if that means that we’re all safe legally or if youtube forcing black and white on us puts general audience channels at risk even though they shouldnt be. Such a mess.

https://youtu.be/pwnvjuCTb54