Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #1511
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
It's because Sideshow isn't always the best at what they do. There's a reason why GG's is more popular....and it isn't because they completed the entire line.
Just going back the last few pages and even looking at current comments it doesn't look like there's much love for this piece at all.

I do like it and SS seemed to be a truer representation of the actress. It also seemed to be one of their better female efforts. Didn't keep up with the views here and its a little surprising to see quite a few of us don't think much of the piece
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #1512
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
It's because Sideshow isn't always the best at what they do. There's a reason why GG's is more popular....and it isn't because they completed the entire line.
SS Babydoll is much nicer than the incorrectly sized GG one IMO. Pose is great and quality is top notch.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #1513
gomur
The Tick

Quote:

Each GG piece could stand alone as a Steampunk meets Fantasy Art display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
SS Babydoll is much nicer than the incorrectly sized GG one IMO. Pose is great and quality is top notch.
I can understand the scale argument... to a point. Otherwise I've always found the SS version to be painfully posed. The GG line-up is great top to bottom and the quality is astonishing on these highly detailed full sculpts.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #1514
dechirico7
The Flash

This piece is nice, but it doesn't come close to the Gentle Giant pieces. Plus, if you really are a fan of the movie, wouldn't you want all the girls? That was the appeal of the movie, the group of girls fighting together. I just sold my last GG girl (Sweet Pea) it was kind of sad. Those retailed for under $250!!! and had FAR superior quality to pieces we pay $450 for now. I found my original receipt for Sweet Pea and I paid $215 for her. My jaw dropped. Even the higher price on Blondie was low. Wasn't she at $350? But the details and quality on those made other 1/4 scale pieces look bad.

For Sideshow, this is a nice piece. The mixed media and base are neat.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #1515
zxplee
Fantastic Four

I have all the gg statues(except baby doll) busts and ss hot toys figures.The babydoll sideshow has one main Issue. It is the pig tails.They have a habit of falling out and breaking.There easy to repair with some glue. But collectors tend not to want to re-clue something that should not be happening in the first place.Other than the pigtails its a great statue. and wont cost you a Grand to finish the collection
zxplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #1516
worstgamerever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
This piece is nice, but it doesn't come close to the Gentle Giant pieces. Plus, if you really are a fan of the movie, wouldn't you want all the girls? That was the appeal of the movie, the group of girls fighting together. I just sold my last GG girl (Sweet Pea) it was kind of sad. Those retailed for under $250!!! and had FAR superior quality to pieces we pay $450 for now. I found my original receipt for Sweet Pea and I paid $215 for her. My jaw dropped. Even the higher price on Blondie was low. Wasn't she at $350? But the details and quality on those made other 1/4 scale pieces look bad.

Hm. Good post. Price point is another issue. I paid (the USD equivalent of) around $350, just weeks ago. Pretty low by today's standards. I guess I can't really complain. Plus I got the EX. For what it is, its a very nice piece. Quite a lovely addition to my collection.

I respect that she isn't well loved. But I am happy with her. I felt fellow owners would share my sentiment. Oh well.

On another point, she hands down get the vote for smallest and lightest PF box ever. Wish they made even the larger pieces in such compact boxes! Gladiator Hulk's box is only a million times bigger
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #1517
worstgamerever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
if you really are a fan of the movie, wouldn't you want all the girls?

Good point. I could see why the GG series will have a more completionist appeal. I haven't seen the movie. I do know Emily Browning (she was really good in Pompei!) was in it and I got the movie just the other day. I'll queue it up and see it soon.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #1518
superboylives
Mephisto

I had all of the GG sucker punch statues and I have the sideshow babydoll. I thought sideshow's representation of babydoll was much closer to Emily Browning and it could have been successful if think sideshow drop the ball when they didn't do the entire line. This however doesn't prevent me from loving the SS version. I sold the GG version a few years ago and I've never regretted it. I never loved babydoll's expression on the GG statue.
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote