Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #421
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

the spider-man, captain america and wolverine were Moon Knight's mpd characters in Bendis's run. That was such a desperate attempt to sell the book to spider-man and wolverine fans etc... i was just having a face palm lol
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #422
protector2814
Phoenix

Yeah "sigh" I remember that. Think I stuck around for 5 or 6 issues of that one.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #423
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I'm in the middle of The Cosmic Odyssey, the Mignola art is great and all but the story is so medicore... It's such a chore to read, i don't know if i can finish it... I was eyeing my mangas on the shelf like what have i got myself in to when there is to read those babies while i was reading it. :/

The villain is nothing new if you know Galactus, Anti-Monitor or Dormammu... The Anti Life aquation is acutally an alive cosmic being like them who wants to consume the galaxy if he can get out of his dimension and heroes try to stop him. If the desing of Anti life was cooler, i would be like at least he looks cool but no, it's just somekind of goo or something... so boring...
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #424
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Gotham Central - Book 3 - ''On the Freak Beat'' - by Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, and Michael Lark and various - 9.5/10
- Collects issues 23-31

Again - this is an excellent book. I enjoyed every page. Very highly recommended.
This whole series is top notch. I've got all the HC volumes after having read them already from the beginning as monthly comic books. Just a stunningly good concept and series.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:22 AM   #425
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Harbinger vol. 3: The Harbinger Wars TPB 7/10

I started The big Valiant event called ''The Harbinger Wars'' with this volume. It was lots of fun to read. Gives you the back ground of The one of the main villains, Toyo Harada. The Peter and gang had it pretty rough... Bloodshot really messed them up. I like the gang but Faith is so wholesome, she's the ''real'' goody good super hero couse she's the comic book nerd and as we all know, if the us comic book nerds had super powers, we would all use them for the good cause we are all so wholesome and good persons... lol give me a breake... lol just know that it's a good thing that i don't have super powers lol

Wolverine by Claremont and Miller HC (the first Wolverine mini) 9/10

It was so much fun to read the book. Gave me a chance to sample the one of the most praised writters of comics, Chris Claremont and i liked his writting. I will definetly try his X-Men. The story was very modern, it didn't feel dated but then again as far as i know 80s is the foundation of modern comics so it is being still good is not a big surprise.

Wolverine and his history with Japan is amazing. (I love Japan) I would love to see more, like how he met with Mariko Yashida for the first time and all of his time in japan before the mini. Wolverine's fights against ninjas were all so much fun to read even if i was like ''they are partying like it's 1580'' lol i mean katanas, shirukens and even Wolverine was like ''i don't usually do that but i will use a weapon this time'' and he brought a crossbow with him and hunted the ninjas with that lol Hello ! There are more efficient ways of killing people, you know... Have any of you guys ever heard of GUNS ! lol

Yukio the wild one was a fun character, i liked her. I wish they showed what Yukio did with Storm to change her in to that crazy punk new look in The 2 issues of Uncanny X-Men which was came after The 4 issues Wolverine mini in The HC. And ofcourse the guy who brain washed Mariko to not to marry Wolverine... Who was that guy ? Did he hypnose Mariko or something ? the end stayed dangling in the air with questions... I really want to read that era Clearmont X-Men to find out where all of those go now... It's certainly a minus that the book doesn't have a satisfying conclusion :/ and it's the only minus, really, oh there was Wolverine explaning his powers at every issue's begining too xD i was like ok i got it ! after the second time xD but i gave the book 9 out of 10 never the less I'm a Wolverine fan boy

Star Wars Episode II: The Attack of The Clones 6/10

This is a proof that the cinema is a better story teller than the medium of comics. There are so many scenes that taken out in the comics that it took away from the experience. The film was not that good to begin with anyway... so the result is not very good. Aspecially the depiction of action scenes were not very good. The duel of Anakin&Obi-wan and later on Yoda vs Dooku was kind of ok compared to duel of the fates in the previous volume but not there nevertheless. I gave it 2 more points cause they took one jar jar scene out in the comics so less jar jar is the better lol

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 23 TPB 9/10
Berserk Vol. 28 TPB 10/10

And back to the sweet Manga. They were both so much fun to read. I missed reading manga, i dwelled in super hero comics too much lately that i haven't read many mangas but that will change certainly since aspecially i encounter crapy super hero series more and more... I'm looking at you Cosmic Odyssey...
Old 05-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #426
Y3E
Gen 13

After watching the live Gantz movie I've been reading the Gantz volumes and wow, what a great story. Much better than the movie.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #427
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I watched two seasons anime of Gantz at 2007 or something like that. It was pretty good, i have wanted to get into the manga ever since but i still couldn't... Just too many series out there. But i hope i will eventually get in to the manga someday.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #428
risingstar
Jedi Order

Daredevil - Lady Bullseye - by Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark - 7.5/10
- Collects issues 111-115

Interesting new villain, though she didn't really have much in common with Bullseye, at least not in any obvious way that I can see in this tpb. I liked her but in the end, she felt like another neurotic female nutjob out to get Daredevil, just because. However, I can't speak for any follow-up appearances. If DD sticks to profile, he'll probably end up sleeping with her, fall in love, and then she'll get killed by yet another villain who knows his secret identity and he'll go into his 96th emotional downspin.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #429
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Planetary Omnibus - by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday - 7/10
- Collects issues 1-27 (the entire series), and a couple one shots with The Authority and the Justice League.

This is a really really slow burn. It took a good 10-12 issues or so just to get a sense of the point of this book, and you need to get to the very end to see what this long journey was truly all about. Thankfully, the incredible artwork kept me entertained otherwise I might have stopped reading it at one point as I'm not typically a fan of writers intentionally keeping me in the dark for that long. In the end, it's a decent scifi yarn. I may want to read it one more time as I am sure that I missed all sorts of double meanings prior to the reveals that unfolded throughout the omnibus. All this to say that while the story was mediocre to above average, the artwork was simply spectacular.

The extra one shots are useless. I would stop reading after issue #27. The nonsensical one-shots with The Authority and JLA were clearly money grabs that didn't even fit into the ongoing storyline.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #430
Babytoxie
Ghost

Kurt Busiek continues to impress me with his Image series The Autumnlands, a sci-fi fantasy blend with elements of Jack Kirby's Kamandi and Jack Vance's The Dying Earth - two things that I love. Two volumes of 6 issues each have been released so far, and the first is only $9.99.

It's set in an unspecified world & time, populated by anthropomorphic animals that wield magic; however, the magic is fading. Several of these mages combine their powers to summon "The Great Champion", who, according to legend, was responsible for bringing magic into their world. To their surprise, the Champion turns out to be a foul-mouthed bio-enhanced human soldier who has no idea what these crazy animals are talking about.

The story explores the interactions between the various classes of animals, as well as slowly revealing the history of this world. Busiek drops some hints as to what could really be going on - some of them are so familiar that it's hard to not see this as some future Earth, and the fascinating pulp excerpts at the beginning of each issue seem to figure into this. Whatever the case, I'm enjoying the story so much that I try to avoid over-analyzing it. Ben Dewey's realistic art is perfect for the story, his character designs are excellent, and his cover and pulp paintings show that the guy has some serious talent.

This series is another must-read from Image. There's lots of great stuff coming from this publisher right now, and The Autumnlands is at the top of my list.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote