Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Sculpting lessons

So, just a quick bit of background. For a long time now, I've come to realise that the mainstream manufacturers are simply not making the sort of statues I want to own. I don't want to become 100% reliant on commission work as it would cripple me financially......so, I want to basically spend time and money getting myself the skills to make my own art.

I'm more interested in digital sculpting over traditional methods, but here's the question, should I;

A. Invest in books and video tutorials to gain the skills I need?

or

B. Should I find a one to one teacher to tutor me in this fine art?

What do you guys think is the best, most likely way to get to where I want to get to? Are there other avenues aside from the two choices above?

If the best path is option B. is this something professional sculptors generally offer?

Apologies if this has already been asked before, the search function didn't yield too much to cover my questions.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
iceprince_x
Deadman

I will go for B. I tried doing A but its better if I have someone really training me or mentoring me with my projects though my teacher then is not too keen on comic book heroes and would rather go for the Classical Greek or Roman heroes
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
anbarestani
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
So, just a quick bit of background. For a long time now, I've come to realise that the mainstream manufacturers are simply not making the sort of statues I want to own. I don't want to become 100% reliant on commission work as it would cripple me financially......so, I want to basically spend time and money getting myself the skills to make my own art.

I'm more interested in digital sculpting over traditional methods, but here's the question, should I;

A. Invest in books and video tutorials to gain the skills I need?

or

B. Should I find a one to one teacher to tutor me in this fine art?

What do you guys think is the best, most likely way to get to where I want to get to? Are there other avenues aside from the two choices above?

If the best path is option B. is this something professional sculptors generally offer?

Apologies if this has already been asked before, the search function didn't yield too much to cover my questions.
Ive been sculpting for a year and half now. The best way to become good at any for of art is to just do it. now getting help from others, books, videos help, but its you who should put it to practice.
Also if you're only making stuff for yourself the best material to use would be super sculpy, since it can harden and you wont need to mold it anymore.
I'd say check out some of the videos on Stan Winston school online and go form there.

There is also one video which tells you about all kinds of clay and material.
Also here are some names you might wanna google. They make a lot of toys and maquettes.

Simon Lee (SpiderZero)
Mark Newman
Glauco Longhi
Jordu Schell

these are just a few i can think of now, but also maybe you could try Zbrush because then you can just sculpt and then get it printed.

One more thing, whether you do it on z brush or clay, I highly recommend learning classical sculpting first. Meaning, learn the anatomy and sculpt classical stuff like roman statues and stuff then you have a much easier time sculpting superheros with big muscles. cause then that way you have more control over anatomy of the figure and where everything goes.

Sorry for the long message, hope that helps.
anbarestani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Hey I just saw this. I'm going through a step by step of the whole process if you sign up on my Patreon account. Check out the intro video. I'm going to be covering a lot of the topics you are curious about.
https://www.patreon.com/ehren_bienert
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
kharlamov
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I am totally in the same boat here, started sculpting at the beginning of this year and fell in love with it. I went for option A because I just don't have much options for lessons.

I have had these guys in the back of my mind though they are in vegas like 4 hours away from me: https://vimeo.com/177019485. Looks like they also have zbrush training and stuff, but I mostly prefer traditional. Their website is anatomytools.com and looks pretty legit anyone have any experiences, their facebook profile has some good ratings.
kharlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
Vermis
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
For a long time now, I've come to realise that the mainstream manufacturers are simply not making the sort of statues I want to own.
This is intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbarestani View Post
Ive been sculpting for a year and half now. The best way to become good at any for of art is to just do it. now getting help from others, books, videos help, but its you who should put it to practice.

One more thing, whether you do it on z brush or clay, I highly recommend learning classical sculpting first. Meaning, learn the anatomy and sculpt classical stuff like roman statues and stuff then you have a much easier time sculpting superheros with big muscles. cause then that way you have more control over anatomy of the figure and where everything goes.
QFT.

I'm self-taught - lack of funds and awareness of suitable classes - and although I can't argue against personal instruction and feedback, IMO a few good books can go some way to fill the gap. The first one I'd point to is Anatomy for Sculptors, available as an ebook here:

https://www.anatomynext.com

I was in on the kickstarter for the print book. Pity that seems to have disappeared from the stores, but in any form it's one of the best books on the subject I've seen. That might not be saying much, but it is very extensive, full of clear, explanatory illustrations, diagrams and references.

I'd also recommend Sarah Simblett's Anatomy for the Artist, maybe more for the reference pictures than the instruction, and Eduardo Lanteri's classic Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure, maybe more for the instruction than the reference pictures! The english translation of the latter makes some of the dense wording difficult to follow, but the progression and exercises are quite useful.

As with most things, YMMV.

I think I could check out a few of the video tutes out there for myself, too.
Vermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
roquelaine
Frackin!

hello,

just I could propose you my patreon page www.patreon.com/roquelaine
you have the first part of orc video free, don't hesit to visit it, thanks
cheers

cyril
roquelaine is offline   Reply With Quote