Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: What do you think Dazzler should do?
Pursue a career as a performing artist since that is what she loves most. 3 60.00%
Become an X-Men to protect mankind. With great power comes great responsibility. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Let The Music Play! - The Dazzler FS by Bowen Designs

Being a singer is a natural gift.
It means I'm using to the highest degree possible the gift that God gave me to use.
I'm happy with that.

- Aretha Franklin

Hi guys,

A week or so ago I received the Dazzler full-size statue released by Bowen Design.
This statue had been on my wish list for quite some time and when I got the chance to buy it I just knew I could not let the opportunity pass.
Two big THUMBS UP! go to Sash501 from the other forum in this regard since he was the one who made this possible: thanks a lot Sash501; you are the man!

Please feel free to let me know in case you agree or disagree with my views or in case you would like to share your own views about this statue of Dazzler with us.
But in case you just would like to look around a bit you are of course more than welcome as well!
Hopefully the pictures will be able to convey the awesome presence of Alison Blair... Let the Music Play I'd say!
And before I forget: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody; let's make it a good one!
Have fun!

My Verdict

I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do is roller skate.
- Dazzler

Manufacturer: Bowen Designs
Heigth: the statue is over 14.5 inches tall
Sculptor: Mike Cusanelli
Unique characteristics: the statue features a genuine crystal pendant and chromed disco ball base
Statue number: 082 / 700

Sculpt: 9.5 - Outstanding
Being a child of the seventies I have always been fond of disco. I am not much of a dancer but put on Saturday Night Fever and I am ready
to show the world my best imitation of John Travolta on the dance floor.
You could say that this sentiment is what pulled me to this statue. We see Dazzler doing what she does best and what she loves doing most:
to sing, dance and entertain people the best way she can. Dazzler is a born performer and with her talent, unbelievable voice and
incredible moves she will stun and excite every audience time after time.

The Queen of Disco has arrived and she is ready to add some ‘fever’ to your Saturday Night out making it a night you will never forget anymore.
That feeling of excitement, of carelessly enjoying yourselves and having a good time is very well captured in this statue.
I love Dazzler’s beautifully sculpted skintight suit with just a couple of wrinkles here and there to give you a feeling of a dancing Dazzler leaving her audience in awe.
Dazzler has a beautifully athletic body which is feminine and attractive on one hand yet strong and agile enough to enable her to put in her heart and soul whenever she is on stage.
Dazzler’s beautifully sculpted hair which flows freely and follows her ever move is awesome to look at and compliment’s Alison’s eye-catching stance very well.
I really dig Dazzler’s crossed legs as well as the position of her arms since her pose just screams ‘Showtime!’ to me.
Looking at Alison’s pose you get the feeling you arrived just in time for the time of your life!

But there is more to discover if you look closely: the fine details on the microphone Dazzler is holding are nicely sculpted just like the details which you can see on her bracelets.
Looking at Dazzler’s face I see an expression which is a mixture of focus and enjoyment. Dazzler does what she loves most and yet at the same time you can see that
she takes it seriously and is determined to give her audience the best show they have ever seen.
Dazzler could not have looked any better in my humble opinion and that is a big compliment to Mr. Cusanelli, the sculptor of this statue.
The show is about to start guys and I am sure you will be swept off your feet!

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.0 - Impressive

When looking at the statue for the first time you might feel the color scheme is a bit monotonous with lots of greys.
It’s true that Dazzler’s suit and shoes are the same shiny grey metallic color but in my opinion this is far from boring.
The color suits Dazzler and I think she will look great standing in the spotlights on stage.
Besides Alison’s gray costume makes the other colors pop and sparkle more: Alison’s skin color looks realistic, her blonde hair looks great
just like the bluish gray colors of her bracelets.
Add the blue color of her mask to the mix together with her red lips which will catch your attention like nothing else will and it's clear that there is more to the color scheme
than meets the eye at first sight.

The statue may not be very colorful but the colors which were chosen are used to have maximum impact and the colorscheme really adds to the attraction of the statue.
Another good thing to mention is that the paint is applied very neatly to the statue. There are no oversprayed parts nor could I see any parts which were not painted.
When you look for example at the metal bands on Dazzler’s upper arms you will find a strict line between the metallic grey of the bands and the warm color of her skin.
Paintwise this statue may not have raised the bar to new heights but the paintjob itself is neat and very well done.
The statue may furthermore not include any mixed media but I wanted to give a special recommendation to the genuine crystal pendant and chromed disco ball base
which are included.
I really like these additions and feel they give this statue just that little extra ‘oomph!’ to bring it to the next level.
Well done!

Design: 9.5 - Outstanding
The design of this statue is where this statue really shines in my humble opinion.
Dazzler’s pose is dynamic and exciting and with a bit of imagination you can almost hear the music playing and see the light effects which she is creating
to surprise and excite her audience.
I simply love the way Dazzler’s arms are posed and the sexy, 'star-like' way in which she is slowly walking towards the spotlights on stage.
Alison knows her audience is looking at her with great expectations and she knows how to keep that focus on her by giving her fans what they want and more.
The pose could not have been any better since it shows who and what Alison Blaire really is: an incredibly talented superstar who was born to perform and thrill her
fans with every show and with every song.
But the goodies do not stop there. The chromed disco ball base is a stroke of sheer genius and the crystal pendant is just as remarkable since it not only fits Dazzler’s outfit very well
but also because it looks classy and possibly could create some extra special light effects when Dazzler uses her powers.
The way I see it could be a piece of jewelry and an attribute all-in one.

The only thing which I find a little bit of a pity is that dazzler does not wear her roller skates since I think that would have looked incredibly cool.
On her high-heeled shoes Dazzler does look great as well though so it’s no dealbreaker.

Production & Build Quality: 8.0 - Impressive
The statue is solid and sturdy enough to stand the test of time if treated with a bit of TLC.
The base consists of two parts (the chrome based disco ball base and a riser) so I would advise to take a bit of caution when moving the statue around.
Furthermore a bit of caution would be advisable with regards tot he fingers of Dazzler’s stretched out left arm. The fingers are not particulary fragile but I am sure
you would not never forgive yourselves if you would accidently bump her hand against something and cause serious damage to your statue.
Other than that there is not much to worry.
Dazzler is here to stay and once you have welcomed her in your collection she will entertain and enjoy everytime you look at her for many moons to come.

Rather than becoming the best, I want to become a singer with meaning.
- Taeyang

Overall rating: 9.0 - Excellent
Perfection is a diffcult thing to achieve and it might feel somethjing else to each and everyone of us.
Still I think this statue of Dazzler is truly outstanding in many ways. The design is jaw-dropping, the sculpture and paintjob are top-notch and the statue is solidly put together.
There is more to it than just that however.
This statue really captures the essence of Dazzler, what drives her and who she wants to be.
Everytime I look at this statue I have to think of te movie Saturday Night Fever and the pure, careless joy people had when enjoying themselves on the dancefloor.
I am sure Dazzler would have loved the way John Travolta danced in that movie (feel free to click on the link to
see some of the best dance moves ever!) and that’s what makes this statue so great in my eyes.
We not only see a powerful mutant but also a strong and determined women who knows what she wants in life as well a superstar giving it her very best shot to entertain her fans.
That’s who Dazzler is and that is exactly what this statue is all about.
Highly recommended!

Background Information
Alison Blaire was born to Carter Blaire and Katherine Blaire in the Long Island suburb of Gardendale, New York.
Her parents had a tense relationship: her father was a stoic law student, while her mother was a free-spirited entertainer.
Ultimately, this led to Katherine walking out on Carter and a toddler-aged Alison, leaving Carter to raise Alison with the help of his mother.
Katherine's leaving had a profound effect on Carter, who had kept the shameful secret of Katherine from Alison all her life.

As Alison entered adolescence and developed dreams of becoming a singer, her father became increasingly intolerant to the idea.
Instead, he forced Alison to choose a life path similar to his own; Alison would become an academic star, and continue on a path to law school.
Alison's grandmother, Bella Blaire, was more sympathetic to young Alison, and encouraged her to explore her creative energies.
However, while performing at a middle-school dance, Alison manifested her mutant abilities, blinding all in attendance save herself.

For years, Alison kept her powers a secret from those closest to her, further alienating her from her father.
By the time she reached university, Alison began to explore her powers and her musical ability.
She crafted her own performing suit and accessories, naming herself "The Dazzler."
It was at this moment Alison decided to abandon her father's dream.
While at her graduation ceremony, Alison informed Carter that she would not be attending the law school he had selected for her,
and would pursue a life as a singer, without her father's blessing or financial support.
The Dazzler used her light-based mutant powers as a draw for her performances.
Taking the sound of the music and converting it into dazzling displays of color drew the young singer enough attention to land her gigs at several New York clubs and discotheques.
However, Alison knew that she, a mutant, would have to keep the nature of her powers a secret.
Marketing her light shows as a "technological secret," Alison was able to bypass critical speculation for some time.
Yet while this little white lie fooled the club managers and others in her life, it did not escape the notice of Emma Frost, White Queen of the Hellfire Club,
or Charles Xavier, founder and mentor of the X-Men.

With the X-Men, Alison also learned to rely on teamwork and cooperation. Being used to tackling the Marvel Universe's largest villains solo,
Alison attempted to halt the Juggernaut by her lonesome. Fortunately, Juggernaut did not wish to cause the singer harm, and Alison merely passed out from overexertion.

In the course of her inadvertent adventures, she even encountered the planet-devouring Galactus who intially thought she was of little notice and ignored her.
Later Galactus temporarily endowed her with cosmic energyin order to retrieve his herald Terrax.
Being a singer first and foremost Alison declined however stating that the superhero "trip wasn't for her" and instead focused on her own ambitions and career.
Amongst Dazzler's biggest fans in the Marvel Universe are Juggernaut, Colossus, the Hulk, Northstar, the Rhino, Molly Hayes, Shadowcat, and Pixie.

Powers

I'm a singer not a fighter
- Dazzler

Dazzler is a mutant with the ability to transduce sonic vibrations into various types of light. Dazzler prefers utilizing music, particularly that which is rhythmically sustained,
but can use any source of sound for this (with the exception of her own voice unless it is redirected to her via speakers).
Dazzler can generate illumination, create realistic holograms, emit pulses or strobes to blind or disorient others, and fire laser-like cutting beams or "solid photon" concussive force beams.
She is immune to the harmful effects of bright lights and loud noise.
She stores this energy until she is willing and/or able to release it.
She can use this light in a variety of ways. Some of the abilities Dazzler has displayed include:

- Blinding light.
- Dazzle-Blast - A light show so intense it overwhelms the nervous system of the person watching and often causes unconsciousness.
This was her main method of attack in her earliest appearances in her disco era.
- Lasers ( beams of light that can cut through solid metal)
- Photon blast ( a beam of solid light that strikes with concussive force)
- Holograms (both solid and intangible)
- "Light fog" which refracts light to hide people and/or objects from view
- Flight
- Force Fields (offensive and defensive)
- Therapeutic Light to calm and increase blood circulation of allies
- Ultra-Violet radiation blasts

Dazzle:
intransitive verb: to lose clear vision especially from looking at bright light
transitive verb: to overpower with light
- Merriam-Webster dictionary

Dazzler has also learned to release the stored sound inside her in its original form for a supersonic blast.
There is no limit to the amount of sound that she can absorb and release as light.
Alison is a highly skilled and very talented skater (Alison is incredibly agile especially while skating) besides being an accomplished dancer and actress.
As a result of her time with the X-Men she is furthermore well trained in the art of hand-to-hand combat.
Alison also is an incredibly gifted singer, once being told by Odin that she had the most beautiful voice he had ever heard.
Dazzler often wears a pair of roller skates that magnetically adhere to her boots; in the past she used to wear a costume which stored sonic energy.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Let the music play
I just wanna dance the night away
Here, right here, right here is where I'm gonna stay
All night long, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, wee

- Barry White: Let The Music Play

Rainer
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, digging the Dancing Queen

- ABBA: Dancing Queen

Rainer
Old 12-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I feel it comin' together
People will see me and cry. Fame!
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame. Fame!
I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name
Remember, remember, remember, remember,
Remember, remember, remember, remember
Remember my name. Fame!

- Irene Cara: Fame

Rainer
Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

My baby moves at midnight
Goes right on till the dawn
My woman takes me higher
My woman keeps me warm

What you doin' on your back aah
What you doin' on your back aah
You should be dancing, yeah
Dancing, yeah

- Bee Gees: You Should Be Dancing

Rainer
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Once You Get The Beat Inside Your Feet
There Ain't No Way To Stop You Movin' Good
Now The Weekend's Come It's Time For Fun
You Got To Groove Just Like You Know You Should

Gonna Dance, Gonna Shout
Gonna Burn This Disco Out

- Michael Jackson: Burn This Disco Out

Rainer
Old 12-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Woo hoo! The disco queen of Marvel cometh! Great stuff!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
sash501
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Here she is before she shipped. Such a beautiful piece, was hard to let her go. Still plenty of others for those who are interested.

sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #9
Y3E
Gen 13

I really like this statue and to me it represents Dazzler the best. I kick myself for not getting it when my lcs had it for $180 cdn.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Thanks for posting that great close-up of Dazzler Sash; Alison looks nothing short of amazing!

I hope Dazzler will one day find her way into your collection Y3E!
It took quite some time before I was able to invite her into my collection but keep in mind that Lady Luck favors those who can patiently wait for their chance...

Rainer