Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 05-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #51
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacon13 View Post
I really miss Bowen statues. There was a quality to the way Bowen sculpted that I felt really captured the characters in their comic book format. I wish he would come back to the market as I think there is a place for his 1/6 scale pieces. After all to the best of my knowledge he really is the guy who started it all along with Clayburn Moore and a few others beyond just action figures. The companies that produce all these pop culture statues today really do owe a debt of gratitude to Bowen and others. My 2 cents!
Totally agree.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #52
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Bowen is definitely the Godfather of the statue game. I wouldn't have started collecting if it wasn't for him. He created the market. There would be no SS if it weren't for RB.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #53
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Agree all the way around. The vast majority of my collection is Bowen Design. As a bit of a comic book purist, comic book accurate is my preference with statues and no one, and I mean no one, has done this as well as Bowen Designs. My first Bowen piece was the Thing/Hulk bookends and my firs FS statue was Bowen’s first Thor. I’d never have gotten in this game if not for Bowen.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #54
Mister H
Gen 13

Mine was the first Daredevil, then Cap.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:52 AM   #55
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

My first Bowen FS was the first Black Widow statue. I got it from my LCBS 6 years ago for only $60. I got it that cheap because some customer brought in about 50 mini busts and statues and this person still had the boxes but threw away the styrofoam, which is why I got it at that price. That was the purchase that led me down the path to purchasing FS statues and away from mini busts.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #56
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Mr. Sinister was my first. I was spoiled from the get go.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #57
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

My first Bowen was the Graphitti Designs Batman. After that it’s snowballed!

My favorite Bowen pieces is the Bronze base Superman Animator Maquette. I also had it signed by Bruce Timm. This was the one created as a prototype for the Grey base Superman Animator Maquette used at Warner Animation as a model guide for the animators on Superman the Animated Series. The Warner Brothers Studio store also made a Superman Animator Maquette for public consumption but it was considerably smaller and had a black Superman symbol base. It also did not match the size of the Batman Animator Maquette so the 2 looked weird together. The Batman Animator Maquette created for the animators was the same as the one sold in the store except the one sold in the store had a black Batman symbol base while the actual Batman Animator Maquette had a simple black oval base.

I was lucky enough to attend the 2 most recent signings Bowen did in Oregon and then in Washington. He was very gracious and signed everything I brought. Almost all my full size and some of my busts are signed. He even did sketches on a large majority of them! For the first show Metajon helped me bring them in. For the second my wife helped me! I’m a lucky guy. Good friend and great wife!
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:00 AM   #58
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Majority of my Bowens are mini-busts (I have 10), and it's only recently that I purchased a full sized - the museum Daredevil. And boy, it's a different beast altogether!
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #59
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I bought my first Bowen last year (Falcon mini bust). I now have 5 mini busts and 5 FS statues.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #60
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I think the sad thing is that since Bowen is not producing statues anymore is that alot of the prices for his statues on Ebay are on the rather high side. Now a statue like Modern Nova or YellowJacket are always on the high side price wise, I am seeing other statues on there being priced high and I am wondering why. Now obviously a person can price their item at any price they want to, not every statue is a gold bar that commands top dollar.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote