Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #6781
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I wear my Pokemon t-shirt when I'm pumping iron in the gym.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #6782
VindictvePotato
Shadowhawk

I don't think either are childish. They both strive to tell a story that anyone can learn or draw inspiration from. It's just a matter of personal interest that determines your investment in either one.
What makes them childish to you? That they are comic books or cartoon? That they may not have nudity or violence?
imo...the inability to separate the message from the medium is the ultimate childishness.
VindictvePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #6783
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I wear my Pokemon t-shirt when I'm pumping iron in the gym.
Edit:
Replace "iron" with "fist"
Replace "gym" with "Jim"

Now it makes sense.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #6784
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Edit:
Replace "iron" with "fist"
Replace "gym" with "Jim"

Now it makes sense.
HOLY!!!...
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #6785
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindictvePotato View Post
I don't think either are childish. They both strive to tell a story that anyone can learn or draw inspiration from. It's just a matter of personal interest that determines your investment in either one.
What makes them childish to you? That they are comic books or cartoon? That they may not have nudity or violence?
imo...the inability to separate the message from the medium is the ultimate childishness.
With an open mind, I respect your opinion and 100% see your angle on this. To be completely honest, your right.

This was my reasoning:

I don't think it would be outlandish in saying that this forum is consisted of collectors from the age range of 17 - 50 years old. Would you agree? This would mean that the oldest members here, grew up in the 60's - 70's - most of us in the 80's - 90's.. I personally feel that in the time where most of us grew up, comics have since been targeted for a younger audience. It's not like the 30's/40's when Captain America and others were first created. Captain America was a patriot made in times of war - not to say the ideologies of the character have changed, but it's definitely not the same as it once was and the target has definitely shifted to another demographic .. IMO - (in general), there's something "childish" or "kiddish" about people who can fly and obtain super powers from the bite of radioactive spiders. It's a make believe world that exists only to the furthest extent of our imaginations - something I feel would best suit the creative mind of a child/kid. Listen to some Stan Lee interviews and what he has to say on the process of creating Spider-Man. It was targeted for teenagers - he wanted to make a character that everyone could relate to (specifically kids). I understand that the underlying message for some characters have a more mature tone, but at face value - the mediums used (colorful costumes, capes, bat-like cowls, magic scepters) are "childish" to me. Btw.. there's NOTHING wrong with liking "childish" things. I've talked to many collectors and most collect to fuel their nostalgic cravings. They literally collect to bring them back to childhood days.. Myself included.

Listen, you may not agree with me on what I consider childish - and that's fine, but there's no need to come here shooting down the means by which someone found out about a character or the type of things they're interested in. Especially when they're characters that we both love.
Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #6786
adee
Green Arrow

The older I get the more childish I become.

Honestly this stuff is ageless for me.

ps
good to see MNG living up to his handle yeesh
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #6787
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Am I reading this thread correctly?!?! Thanos on throne will be wearing a Pokemon shirt while holding Yu-Gi-Oh cards in his gauntlet hand? GRAIL!!
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #6788
Bowen or Bust
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
The older I get the more childish I become.

Honestly this stuff is ageless for me.
Yep, I've been reading Marvel comics for over 40 years and I am proud to be an old school geek ... Hell, even my son is still a super hero freak at 22 and I couldn't be more proud lol .
Bowen or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #6789
VindictvePotato
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
With an open mind, I respect your opinion and 100% see your angle on this. To be completely honest, your right.

This was my reasoning:

I don't think it would be outlandish in saying that this forum is consisted of collectors from the age range of 17 - 50 years old. Would you agree? This would mean that the oldest members here, grew up in the 60's - 70's - most of us in the 80's - 90's.. I personally feel that in the time where most of us grew up, comics have since been targeted for a younger audience. It's not like the 30's/40's when Captain America and others were first created. Captain America was a patriot made in times of war - not to say the ideologies of the character have changed, but it's definitely not the same as it once was and the target has definitely shifted to another demographic .. IMO - (in general), there's something "childish" or "kiddish" about people who can fly and obtain super powers from the bite of radioactive spiders. It's a make believe world that exists only to the furthest extent of our imaginations - something I feel would best suit the creative mind of a child/kid. Listen to some Stan Lee interviews and what he has to say on the process of creating Spider-Man. It was targeted for teenagers - he wanted to make a character that everyone could relate to (specifically kids). I understand that the underlying message for some characters have a more mature tone, but at face value - the mediums used (colorful costumes, capes, bat-like cowls, magic scepters) are "childish" to me. Btw.. there's NOTHING wrong with liking "childish" things. I've talked to many collectors and most collect to fuel their nostalgic cravings. They literally collect to bring them back to childhood days.. Myself included.

Listen, you may not agree with me on what I consider childish - and that's fine, but there's no need to come here shooting down the means by which someone found out about a character or the type of things they're interested in. Especially when they're characters that we both love.

I agree. I think that's what makes either medium highly resilient through all age groups. Kids are usually fixated on the visuals and the idea of "cool" super human abilities that lets their imagination run wild. Most reasonably functioning adults will go through these same comics or cartoons and pick up on underlying themes/ motifs.

Where a kid sees a caped crusader dramatically fighting and winning against an evil clown-- an adult may look at the same thing and see a symbol of altruism fighting incessantly against unrelenting temptations to take the easy, self-serving way out.

That's why I disregard the notion of categorizing things into "childish" or "adult" brackets. I don't prescribe to the idea of fantasy tropes like superhuman abilities as being childish either. Think of Game of Thrones. It's a fantastic show that tackles so many interesting themes like betrayal, human nature in literature, societal/relationship constructs, etc. But none of that should be dismissed as being childish because it has fire breathing dragons, magic swords and beings that can see through time and space. Is it realistic? Not really, but one could say that they are. to some extent, grounded in reality. Radio active spiders, chemical mutations, geniuses making mechanized war suits...all these can tell you a lot about the time and history in which these ideas came to be. You may be able to draw parallels to rise of nuclear power plants emitting radioactive waste that causes long term detrimental effects on people. Or maybe the rise of the soviet space program in the 1930s may have inspired the creation of an alien who comes to earth to become a superheoro....and so on and so forth.

All in all, I think it just boils down to the individual consuming the media. They can choose to look at it at face value or they can choose to dig deep and look at many different layers the artists and the writers took the time to create...whether intentional or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
there's no need to come here shooting down the means by which someone found out about a character or the type of things they're interested in. Especially when they're characters that we both love.
I agree. That is just stupid elitism/ superiority complex.
VindictvePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #6790
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Every point has been take out of context.

Simply put for the YugioH and pokey fans. Sorry. Marvel and DC crushes both those universes artistically all around.
To say different is an opinion. But it is wrong lol

It's like comparing a Pauly Shore movie to an Academy Award winning movie. Both movies. People can love both. But one is definitely less quality- more immature- etc than the other one.
This isn't even the point.
Like what your u like, and who cares. Buy what u want. Who cares.

You can't expect not to have your balls busted on a Statue Forum, derived mostly on comics, when some of y'all admit to not at all or maybe a little bit of knowledge of a character. It kind of looks dumb. your spending cash on stuff you barely know about except for a particulaR version in a tv show or game. To each is own and all, but it's kinda silly.

Who did the OA for Pokémon and also Who did YugioH? After you SJW kids look it up on Wikipedia, go head and let them very everyone know.

Like anything you want.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote