Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
Who is Ant Adams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
He runs PCS
I heard he moonlights as an English new wave singer, too, but maybe I got some details mixed up.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:32 PM   #22
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I heard he moonlights as an English new wave singer, too, but maybe I got some details mixed up.
Yes, his palindromic alter ego

IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:38 PM   #23
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm not saying it's true - but there is precedent for such things. If you're caught buying fake Swiss Watches in Switzerland - you can be arrested and / or fined - even if you don't live in Switzerland or are a Swiss citizen....

But to be fair - the Swiss state has a huge vested interest in banning or restricting those products, and we're talking about 1:1 fakes - not custom homage watches. In the case of unlicensed statues - the law won't act as there is a certain allowance for custom / derivative work, and let's face it - it wouldn't be hard to make a Batman Statue that looks like Batman but has enough tweaks to be a stand alone, original character.....
Here in the states they don?t care. Most people I know at all levels of law enforcement have fake Rolex watches. The openly laugh about it.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:38 PM   #24
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Yes, his palindromic alter ego
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:49 PM   #25
SDguy

Based on mentioning licensing difficulties, sounds like he's just frustrated/venting.

Just make great statues... people will buy them. Me buying a custom Star Sapphire isn't deciding whether or not a buy a PCS piece.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:57 PM   #26
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

I would think the scummy chinese recast market hurts companies more than customs.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #27
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Manufactured, yes, but I think they're typically designed and organized in the US or elsewhere outside of China.
Not even close, the VAST majority of unlicensed statues are designed and organized by chinese studios. There is some western custom groups for sure, but they are a drop in the bucket.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:47 PM   #28
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
Here in the states they don’t care. Most people I know at all levels of law enforcement have fake Rolex watches. The openly laugh about it.
I’ve never understood the need to have imitations. I mean why bother. Sure we might deceive others, but we’re not about to lie to others that we’re close to, like friends and family (unless one does, but that’s just sad). At which point, it’s more or less pointless. And nowadays from what I hear, in the US it’s not even worth it to wear any valuables out and about, unless you have security.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:12 PM   #29
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I?ve never understood the need to have imitations. I mean why bother. Sure we might deceive others, but we?re not about to lie to others that we?re close to, like friends and family (unless one does, but that?s just sad). At which point, it?s more or less pointless. And nowadays from what I hear, in the US it?s not even worth it to wear any valuables out and about, unless you have security.
Well when I got fake rolex when I was younger I got it cause it was a nice looking watch that costs $15. I didn't pretend it was real, in fact the opposite I got this nice looking watch for cheap and it does exactly what I want out of a watch which was look cool and tell time. To me spending on a real rolex is/was a giant waste of money. It might not be for someone else cause they like that but I would get a dope watch for cheap. Nowadays there are plenty of great looking cheaper watches too if you wanted, haven't worn a watch in ages though.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:29 PM   #30
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I?ve never understood the need to have imitations. I mean why bother. Sure we might deceive others, but we?re not about to lie to others that we?re close to, like friends and family (unless one does, but that?s just sad). At which point, it?s more or less pointless. And nowadays from what I hear, in the US it?s not even worth it to wear any valuables out and about, unless you have security.
Other than seeing if they could fool someone for a few minutes they were very up front about them being fake. It was just a laugh for them and conversation starter.

But as for imitations?I would never spend that much on a stupid watch?I may the imitation one but that?s because I set in my head how much value something has to me. No watch in the world is worth more than $40 to me (haven?t worn one in years so even less now). I have in my head a range of what I would pay for something and if only a KO falls in that range then so be it. Normally I prefer originals but have seen in the toy world where ko?s are better and cheaper. Though to be honest outside of toys finding a ko better than the original will be rare.

And yes the states have taken a rather bad violent turn sadly.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote