Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
spenca7
Loki

Star Wars Book Help!

So I am getting into the EU of Star Wars more and more. So far I have read Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Acadamey Trilogy. M

I am trying to get into New Jedi Order, do I need to really read X-wing series? Also what else should I read up to it
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

read the Crimson empire comics and Shadow of the empire
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Don't bother with the New Jedi Order series ...it really sucks. Same with the Legacy series with Caedus...anti-climatic

I would recommend the following:

Cloak of Deception
Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
Spectre of the Past
Vision of the Future
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
ThinWhiteDuke
Doh!

ThinWhiteDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

has anyone read deathtroopers? how was it? no spoilers please just opinion on book
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I started to read one series of books, but noticed a different author wrote each book, so much for consistency of story. I don't even remember what the series was called.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
Brru
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenca7 View Post
So I am getting into the EU of Star Wars more and more. So far I have read Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Acadamey Trilogy. M

I am trying to get into New Jedi Order, do I need to really read X-wing series? Also what else should I read up to it
To answer your specific question:
The New Jedi Order is not all that bad. No it is not typical star wars movie goodness, but they do some interesting things with the universe. If you like the idea of Han and Leia having kids and where they end up then NJO is a good read. No you do not NEED to read X-Wing series. I've never read that series (although Im told I should since its supposed to be amazing) and I was fine with NJO. The beginning books are the best ones as that is when everything is in turmoil.

The problem with NJO is that it was supposed to be the last "age" of the star wars universe that Lucas would allow, so it is anti-climatic. It concludes a lot of things though. Unfortunately, lucas is a capitalist and has since gone back on that deal and effectively ruined any semblance NJO might have had to a solid ending.
Brru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
tstrike99
Frackin!

I agree with Brru, NJO was pretty decent. Not all of them are fantastic reads, but that's what you get when you have multiple authors telling a story that spans 5 years in the EU.

The X-Wing series is excellent. As long as you don't have to see lighsabers in your SW books all the time. Stackpole and Allston did a great job making the non-Jedi characters kick-ass.

The Legacy of the Force series was good. Not the best. I agree it was anti-climactic, especially the "showdown" between Jaina Solo and Darth Caedus.

Death Troopers was surprisingly good. It's a little on the short side though, around 250 pgs. It's a fun quick read that stands alone in the EU. You don't have to know anything else about Star Wars to enjoy this book.

There's a method to my madness. About 2 1/2 years ago I made the great decision to read all the Star Wars novels in order. I mean ALL of them. And I've done it. The last time I checked I had read 112 SW books. All in chronological release order!
So Spenca7, if you have any questions about ANY of the SW books or the EU novels, I'll be happy to give you an honest opinion of what I thought about the books. I've read that many of them, and honestly enjoyed all of them except 3 or 4.
tstrike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
hawkeyethearcher

was it tales from the mos eisley cantina that had the story of greedo and how he shot first and missed. that was a funny arse story
Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
hawkeyethearcher

does no one want to admit to reading the courtship of princess leia. good book to read right there