Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
rolleypolley18
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Mitch Itkowitz - Graphic Collectibles

The guy is a total douchebag.

My story starts like this...I originally spoke to Mitch and told him I wanted to purchase the Superman 226 cover by Ed Mcguinness, but he said "I don't hold art pieces for anyone. This was about a month ago or so.

Of course very recently, to my surprise I see that another collector has already snatched that cover. Suffice it to say, I was annoyed and emailed Mitch (who is Ed Mcguinness's rep) about the reasons, etc.

He plainly stated that the anonymous collector paid alot for it and he decided to sell it to him before it ever got posted on the Graphic Collectibles site. I respond by saying he has bad business etiquette and that he was showing preferential treatment to certain collectors.

I'm fine with the fact he sold it to someone else, but he didn't let others who might've paid as much if not more for that same piece...it's incredibly lame and I'm just ragging on him for the statement he made about not holding art. In my opinion, holding art for other collectors is just as bad as showing preferential treatment, especially when he clearly stated that he did not.

He proceeds to respond back by saying based on my previous offers on other art, that the anonymous collector would've paid more than I would. Excuse me for being a normal minded consumer, I prefer to see if I'm able get the best deal on art for my money. Furthermore, it seemed to me that he attacked my socio-economic ability to purchase art.

I responded by saying he has no idea the background I come from or who I am..who is he to say I can't afford something. To me that was a low blow, considering I've spent about 2k in the past with this guy. I proceeded to inform him about his lack in social skills and business etiquette and that by continuing to be a hypocrite he'll continue to have more clients.

With all things considering, I love the artists he represents, but Mitch is a socially and business inept gentleman. I have no idea how he has lasted this long. In any case, I apologize for complaining, but I thought you guys should know who you are dealing with. Viva la douchebag.
rolleypolley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

It's too bad there are so many A$$holes in this business.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sorry to hear that... You're not the first to have issues with comic art dealers.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

You should be happy you did not get the cover. McGuinness stuff does not hold value for what Di ck, err I mean Mitch sells it for. I bought 3 covers from him and everything worked out fine. We had a problem with another transaction and instead of being nice, and trying to come up with a solution he turns into a real di ck. 0 customer service skills. This was almost 4 years ago, and I have not been back to his site since.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks for the info , I've been looking to buy a Sienkiewicz piece he got up for offers , I know where I can find a similair piece for the same money so I'll take it to someone who appreciates it .
And that Mcguinness art goes down in value is true , but it is worth what you want to pay for it and I know you are a big fan of his work so it's not seen as an investement but as an artpiece .
Better luck next time ,
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
bigben7
Kindly Asked To Leave

if you like the mcguiness buy it! dotn worry about holding value. art is mostly about what you like. im into ed benes right now. his art is amazing and going for alot more than i thougth it would. since i love it im not lookin at wether or not it will hold
bigben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Nah.... you don't want to spend $1,800 on a Superman cover and you see them going on Ebay for $500 that's way overpriced. I bought a Birds of Prey cover of McGuinness for $1,000 and I tried to sell it to raise money for Spider-Woman. The auction ended on Ebay for $255.......WAYYYYYY over priced I say.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote