Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

What You Need to Know About Art and Art Dealers!

Dear Rolley,
Here is how it actually happened as opposed to your version.
You might have contacted me a while ago about the cover, if you did, I don't remember, but then again, when I am having a 10% sale on some of the art on my website and you email me asking for more, I'm not going to take you so seriously. Especially when I keep telling you that 10% is all that I can give on most of the art.Sure, I run 15% sales, but only with the artists permission.
Now, the person who wound up with the cover had asked me also, but he kept on top of me to find out when the art would come in. At first, I didn't know if I was even going to get the cover, or if the inker would get it. I told you that also, if you remember. I can't sell what I don't have or if I'm even going to get it. I didn't know I would receive that cover until that Friday when I received the interiors and cover to Superman/Batman #24. The customer just happened to contact me that day and I told him I just received it. What would he pay for it? He made an offer and then made offers for several other pages, including a Frank Quitely Superman splash. The total came out to a very nice figure, so why shouldn't I sell it to him?
You keep saying I held it for him, which is not the case. He happened to be in the right place at the right time. It happens. Where does it say that every piece of art that comes in has to go on my site? Do you know how many art deals I do with art that never makes it to the site? And if you are going to brag about how much you spent with me, the number is more like S1600.00, not over $2000. I have the invoices to prove it.
I have only held art for my accountant, because he is that important to my business and he like to be paid in art. I'm holding the Superman/Batman #23 cover for him along with several other originals.
Spencer Beck and every other dealer "holds" art for their good customers if they ask. Does thatmean you won't deal with them? I don't think so.
As far as showing preferential treatment to certain/good customers, of course I do! There isn't an art dealer or art gallery in the world that doesn't! How do you think we stay in business? when a piece of art comes in that we know a good customer wants, we offer it to them, if it passes, we either offer it to the next person on the list, or it goes on a website. That's the way of the world. It's sour grapes with you, because you can't get what you want.

Now on to Marvelboi...
I don't know who you are, but nobody put a gun to your head and told you to buy those McGuinness covers from me. If you bought them just to turn them over, and can't sell them, you get what you deserve. I'm not in the business to see anyone art to turn over immediately. That would be a great disservice to my artists, and consigners of art. The fact you can't sell them on Ebay means nothing either. Many times I have put up art by Sienkiewicz, Sale, McGuinness, Campbell and other, only to not sell. So does that mean that none of the art I have, or anyone else for that matter, if it doesn't sell on Ebay, it isn't worth anything? I don;t think so. Ebay have become the worlds largest garage sale. Many pieces never sell, no matter how many times you try to sell it on Ebay. But art sure sells from my site!
My motto has always been: Buy what you like, don't buy it for investment. People always ask me if I know if a piece of art will go up in value. I tell them, if I knew that, I wouldn't be selling art, I'd have my own Psychic TV show!

Well, I'm done ranting.
Can't wait to see what comments this will bring!
Best,
Mitch Itkowitz
Graphic Collectibles
MitchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Hey what is the url to your site? I don't believe I have been there... Got any Maguire pieces?
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

My website is http://www.graphiccollectibles.com
I have no Maguire, but lots of other art!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMan
...Well, I'm done ranting.
Can't wait to see what comments this will bring!
Best,
Mitch Itkowitz
Graphic Collectibles
My only comment is, where on earth did this rant come from?
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
My only comment is, where on earth did this rant come from?

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=26428
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil
ahhh, ok. Well, as always, 2 sides to every story. I've personally had good dealings and bad dealings with art dealers and such. My solution: I only deal directly with the artists. If they don't deal direct, I don't buy their stuff. Part of getting the art, for me, is meeting/dealing with the artist him/herself.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Galactus,
What if you really like an artist, but they refer you to their dealer, you won't buy that artist's work regardless that you like the artist's work?
Mitch
Old 04-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Neomotion
I pity the fool!

Hmm, i don't think it is good business manners to disclose how much a client paid for a piece. And even though it is your right to post here, i am not sure if it is a smart thing to do. Best would be to ignore the comment and keep doing your business. Now it looks like you are a bitter and frustrated person.

If business is good, why care and post here? Sure, i can understand it must be aggrevating to read this about your person, but still, try to stand above it. Just my 2c.

ps: you've got some pretty good stuff on your site.
Neomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Oh well...sorry but, I really only buy Maguire stuff. Thanks though.
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Disclosing what someone paid is not such a big deal, I just didn't mention the customer by name. I responded because there are always 2 sides to a story. I'm not bitter nor frustrated. I don't like my name bandied about without my side of the story.