Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMan
Galactus,
What if you really like an artist, but they refer you to their dealer, you won't buy that artist's work regardless that you like the artist's work?
Mitch
Well, I suppose I should have qualified my previous statement. I like getting commissions as opposed to published pieces. Since these are more personal pieces to me, I like dealing with the artist directly so we are both clear on what I am looking for. I've definitely purchased artwork from dealers, but more because I happened upon something while browsing as opposed to actually searching a piece out. I also happen to be in the NY area and, due to my many "dealings" with Albert Moy, I have been soured to the whole idea of dealing with art dealers

Last edited by galactus; 04-09-2006 at 07:42 PM.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Galactus,
So let me ask you, if you didn't have good dealings with him, why did you keep going back, or was it the last deal with him that did it for you.
BTW, I don't handle commissions for any of the artists I rep.
Mitch
MitchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
rolleypolley18
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Mitch, I understand that as comic art collector you do have deals outside the realm of where you generally deal with which is outside Graphic Collectibles.

My beef with you is that you clearly stated in your previous email to me that you "don't hold art for anyone." Now you might argue, that you didn't hold art for someone, but it still never made it to your site so the majority of the population could not even see it or even get a crack at it. And, secondly I did inquire about it.

How am I supposed to stay on top of you about the Mcguinness cover piece? When you give me a comment like, "I don't hold art for anyone." . I had no idea you were even getting that cover until it showed up in Alex's gallery. The email correspondence between us ended with you saying "I don't art for anyone". I mean comeon now Mitch, I know you can reply a potential client's email with a little more humility.

Indeed, $1600 is what I've spent with you. You don't think thats money?

(About the Mcguinness Cover)

You were simply presented with an offer and you took it without even considering there might be other ppl, namely myself who could offer just as much if not more than the other collector.

My second beef to you is that you went on to attack my ability to be able to buy art pieces from you. Where do you go off saying I can't afford this or I can't afford that? I was pretty damn offended you said what you said in your email. You think because I wanted deals on your art pieces, that I'm some bum who can't buy art pieces that I really like for cost? I'm not sure where you learned your customer service skills, but thats absolutely uncalled for. Do not ever degrade a client.

As a client, I am simply asking you to understand where the client is coming from. I don't mean to attack you, but I only have what I have experienced with you so far. I wish it never came to this point.
rolleypolley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Galactus,
So let me ask you, if you didn't have good dealings with him, why did you keep going back, or was it the last deal with him that did it for you.
BTW, I don't handle commissions for any of the artists I rep.
Mitch
I have, on a number of occasions, attempted to talk with Albert at local shows. He's never been either accomodating or cordial while I've tried to speak with him. So my "dealings" with him weren't even art purchases, just attempts to talk to him about pieces he had. I finally decided it wasn't worth even trying to deal with him and his (IMO) VERY inflated prices.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Rolley,
And here you keep coming back to the "holding" thingy. I never held the art for anyone. I had no idea that I was getting it until the art showed up that day. There have been quite a few McGuinness covers that never made it to the site! Why do I need to put it on the site if I have what I think is a very good price.
What it comes down to is that, the customer spent quite a bit that day, and not selling him the cover whould have squelched the deal.
Now maybe you would have paid more, and maybe not. Thething to remember is that it's not always about the money, especially when there are multiple pieces involved.
As you insulting you, it wasn't an insult, based upon your lowball offers on art on my site. You keep lowballing the art I have and I keep telling you that 10% is all I'm going to do. You even made lowball offers on art that was just put up on the site!What am I to think? 99% of the time anyone emails me with a ridiculously low offer, these guys are not going to be my customers.
Sorry if you took it as an insult, but it's not always about the customers. Sometimes it is about the dealer, especially, when I have been in business for 30 years.
And BTW your "Douchbag" crack was uncalled for. Talk about unprofessional!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #16
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Galactus,
I've known Albert since before he bacame an art dealer. At no time did I ever get a discount and when I would sell him stuff, he would always tell me to throw something in the deal. I don't buy comic art anymore for my collection because of guys like him.
Mitch
Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #17
rolleypolley18
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Yes, Mitch I did lowball the figures, because I know you guys highball the price on the art. Naturally, as a consumer I would try to get the price down as much as I could. As for calling you a "douchebag," yes that was quite low and I apologize for doing that, but I felt a bit slighted at an email I thought was insulting from you, especially when I felt you were questioning my socio-economic ability to buy art.

I understand Al is a good client, and I can understand where you are coming from about giving him the cover now. You simply had to explain to me what was going on.

I don't appreciate the very brief and terse emails you write to me. One could confuse your emails with a lack of care or even understanding. All I'm saying is that in the future you could be more clear and maybe even provide ways for clients to feel comfortable (give them choices). I do agree its not always about the consumer, but many times it is. I apologize for the misunderstanding and for calling you out.
rolleypolley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Galactus,
I've known Albert since before he bacame an art dealer. At no time did I ever get a discount and when I would sell him stuff, he would always tell me to throw something in the deal. I don't buy comic art anymore for my collection because of guys like him.
Mitch
Mitch, feel free to sign up for the National Albert Moy Un-Fan Club a few of us have started
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
My only comment is, where on earth did this rant come from?

Dude, aren't you a MOD??? Way to keep up with things!!

J/K Drew..........
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #20
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171
Dude, aren't you a MOD??? Way to keep up with things!!

J/K Drew..........
I think I was on the can when that other thread was making the rounds