Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

New Superman Jon Kent Bi-sexual??

I have no issues with peoples sexual orientation but in comics, this is just not the right place for going full Woke. DC has been doing this with there TV series but doing it in comics is questionable at best…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vul...-bisexual.html
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

as an openly gay man (for over 30 years) I have no problem with someone being gay but I do wonder is it something that is just being done because it is an organic part of the characters evolution or is it just being done to be "trendy" or "woke" or just to get noticed by a larger audience where a comic book character coming out would not normally be noticed.

Now I truly believe that having this character (and Tim Drake Robin) as either bisexual or gay can only help one's own coming out and can actually make a person who is just discovering their own sexuality a bit easier to accept that within themselves. As someone who did not have really any type of role models when I was discovering that part of myself (back in the late 70's and early 80's) I have to say that if it does make someone's realization easier to accept then it is a good thing.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
as an openly gay man (for over 30 years) I have no problem with someone being gay but I do wonder is it something that is just being done because it is an organic part of the characters evolution or is it just being done to be "trendy" or "woke" or just to get noticed by a larger audience where a comic book character coming out would not normally be noticed.

Now I truly believe that having this character (and Tim Drake Robin) as either bisexual or gay can only help one's own coming out and can actually make a person who is just discovering their own sexuality a bit easier to accept that within themselves. As someone who did not have really any type of role models when I was discovering that part of myself (back in the late 70's and early 80's) I have to say that if it does make someone's realization easier to accept then it is a good thing.

I have no issues with peoples sexual preferences or relationship they may have with someone. I’m just not sold on using comics as a platform to show it. I would rather if they made the character gay. The world is so screwed up with all these politically gender correctness. I just had an applicant who put She/ Her on their resume. IMO, totally unnecessary. I want to hire the best and I could care less what gender you want to call yourself.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
becakbagus
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
I have no issues with peoples sexual orientation but in comics, this is just not the right place for going full Woke. DC has been doing this with there TV series but doing it in comics is questionable at best…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vul...-bisexual.html
I think that's fine with that, but should be noted this is just for 18+
becakbagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Augen
The Hulk

Stepping back in comics romance has been an element for characters going back decades. Every character I read had their sexuality touched on.
I would get an objection if a character had their sexuality ret conned because ret cons in general come across as lazy. People get attached to characters as they are and see them as people rather than a tool. Fair enough, but new characters can be a blank canvas. This isn't Clark Kent, it's Jonathan Kent. Reading his stories sexuality wasn't touched in because he was a boy of roughly 10, but they did a time jump and he's roughly 18 so makes sense he would have that element added. He could have been hetero, homo, bi, pan, etc. Someone made that decision and then it is up to people to like the character or not.
If it bothers someone "I like this character...but I cannot get over their sexuality". That's their choice, but have to understand others will see such a stance as bigoted in the same way if you claimed being a different race, gender, nationality, religion, etc. as being a problem.

I get for some folks the world has changed a lot in past fifty years socially and can be hard to keep up. New concepts and variations of them seem to emerge each year. The question you may ask yourself is why does the new bother you? Is someone else's benign happiness that upsetting because you don't share the same identity? I don't think you have to fully understand someone to express empathy on a human level and accept them for what they are.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
Mister H
Green Goblin

I'll throw in my 2 cents and then shut up. Comics have sucked rocks for a good decade now. The sales prove that. Anyone who thinks that this stunt (and that's all it is, a stunt) is anything more than a desperate money grab is being naive.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents and then shut up. Comics have sucked rocks for a good decade now. The sales prove that. Anyone who thinks that this stunt (and that's all it is, a stunt) is anything more than a desperate money grab is being naive.
And so they think that why manga is skyrocketing this much ???
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
And so they think that why manga is skyrocketing this much ???
Yeah Manga is killing it right now. American comics are dying. It's all about events and copying storylines from 20 years ago or more or making sexuality a selling point. None of that stuff is working.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

There appears to be no way to respond to this without seeming either for or against gaytuality in comics. Ultimately, I imagine this will also come down to how parents feel about their 7 year old opening a comic book and seeing two adolescent boys making out on the front page splash.

P.S. I take it a Robin/Superboy love interest book is now in the planning stages.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
There appears to be no way to respond to this without seeming either for or against gaytuality in comics. Ultimately, I imagine this will also come down to how parents feel about their 7 year old opening a comic book and seeing two adolescent boys making out on the front page splash.

P.S. I take it a Robin/Superboy love interest book is now in the planning stages.
I do not think that you are against it if you do not want to see it in a certain medium. This might be a bad example but I always hate when a soap opera (ok, love a good daytime and nighttime soap-pure escapism) do a storyline involving rape. They always go the same way it seems. However, even though I do not like them it that storyline can help a person who was the victim of rape cope and deal with it then it can help.

That is where I see this with both Jon Kent and Robin. Part of it I feel is a stunt by DC but on the flip side if it is helping a person or opening someone's eyes and attitude then that is not a bad thing.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote