Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #26801
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

L'Age d'Or (1930) - A surrealist tale of a man and a woman who are passionately in love with each other, but their attempts to consummate that passion are constantly thwarted by their families, the Church, and bourgeois society.

The Criterion Channel was pulling many of Luis Buñuel's movies at the end of the month so I rewatched this kooky collaboration with Salvador Dali before it was gone. I think it's great nonsense. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #26802
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

L'Age d'Or (1930) - A surrealist tale of a man and a woman who are passionately in love with each other, but their attempts to consummate that passion are constantly thwarted by their families, the Church, and bourgeois society.

The Criterion Channel was pulling many of Luis Buñuel's movies at the end of the month so I rewatched this kooky collaboration with Salvador Dali before it was gone. I think it's great nonsense. 8/10
Indeed.

I will try to watch it along with some other favorites of mine like Los Olvidados, El Angel Exterminador and Viridiana.

THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #26803
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Indeed.

I will try to watch it along with some other favorites of mine like Los Olvidados, El Angel Exterminador and Viridiana.

This was in June so many of them are gone already sadly, but Viridiana (my favorite from Buñuel) and The Exterminating Angel are still there.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #26804
ParisDean

Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie / The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) - A surreal, virtually plotless series of dreams centered around six middle-class people and their consistently interrupted attempts to have a meal together.

This is the funniest Luis Buñuel film I've seen. 9/10
Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #26805
statman
Baron Zemo

Sully - 8/10
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #26806
statman
Baron Zemo

Avengers: Infinity War - 9.5/10
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10/10
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #26807
Asgard
Deadman

Life 6/10

with:
Ryan Reynolds (Rory Adams)
Jake Gyllenhaal (David Jordan)

The movie is a bit exciting, even if the actors act as if they had never seen an sience fiction/alien movie before and the plot is relatively predictable.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #26808
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Any Bullet Will Do 4/10

Not a great western but I saw it had Meg Foster in it and I hadn't seen her in years. She looks old AF but still has those creepy sexy eyes.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #26809
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Descent (2005) - They did a really great job with the atmosphere in this movie, it was very tense and claustrophobic and I already felt uneasy before the cave dwelling creatures even showed up! I was really impressed after reading that none of the movie was filmed in an actual cave, it was all done with sets, and lighting from items they would have had (lanterns, glow sticks, flares etc) Another cool thing was that it was an all female cast, and unlike most horror movies, the characters were developed well and I actually cared about their fates - 8.5/10

The Descent 2 (2010) - This was average for a horror sequel and felt very unneeded. It was pretty much a complete retread of the first movie and didnt really add much to the overall story, it just kinda dragged it out longer. I've seen worse don't get me wrong, but it just seemed kind of uninspired. They brought back the original cast in a creative way which I liked, but although they made even more sets for this movie as opposed to the original, it lacked a lot of the tension and atmosphere from the first movie - 6.5/10

Superman 2 (Donner Cut) (1981/2006) - This was my first time seeing Donner's intended version of this movie (or as close to it as possible at this point) and wow, other than a few nitpicky things I really enjoyed this a lot more than Lester's theatrical version. Donner approached the movie with a more serious tone, and he made the Zod trio seem a lot more dangerous and villainous as opposed to Lester's more comedic tone (apparently Lester thought comic book movies were just for kids, while Donner was ahead of his time and thought comic movies didnt have to be childish) Considering the Donner version isn't really a 'directors cut' its almost like an entirely different movie, its hard to compare things scene for scene, but Ill list what I felt where the strengths of each version, and realistically the best version would have been a combination of both cuts - 9/10

Pros of Donner version:
-Darker/more serious tone overall
-Marlon Brando scenes added back in (instead of the Lara scenes) I liked the Lara scenes, but I felt the Marlon scenes connected Superman 1&2 better
-Zod's crew is more serious and villainous, with better explained motives and better resolution
-Expanded and better action scenes (including the statue of liberty torch being destroyed in an epic fashion during the Metropolis battle)
-The "cellophane" Superman symbol is nowhere to be seen (one of the best parts of this cut lol)
-Lois Lane opening sequence shows she is suspicious of Supermans identity which ties right into the ending of Superman 1. She also throws herself off the Daily Planet in this version to try and catch Clark, instead of jumping into a river in the Lester version
-This version picks up right after Superman 1, the missile Superman diverted in that movie is what frees Zod's crew, not the nuke from the Paris scene (which is not even in the Donner version)
-The famous Zod uses a machine gun at the white house scene is in this version, and its perfect

Pros of Lester version:
-I felt Zods crew defacing Mount Rushmore was more impactful than knocking over the Washington Monument in the Donner version
-The Paris and Niagara falls scenes were only in this version
-One of the best lines in the movie, when Superman confronts Zod at the Daily Planet "General, would you care to step outside?" in the Donner version he says something along the lines of "don't you believe in the freedom of the press?"
-This is highly debatable, but the 'mind wipe' kiss at the end, some like that ending some dont, but in the Donner version Superman turns back time again (originally Superman 1&2 were conceived and shot back to back, so Donner wanted the ending of part 2 to be the turn back time thing, but then they couldn't think of an adequate ending to part 1, so they did the turn back time thing in part 1 instead, and were going to think of something else for part 2, then Donner was axed, so Lester came up with the amnesia kiss)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #26810
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Any Bullet Will Do 4/10

Not a great western but I saw it had Meg Foster in it and I hadn't seen her in years. She looks old AF but still has those creepy sexy eyes.
Meg Foster has indeed aged horrifically...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote