Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

How Often are Games Fixed?

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, bit I've wondered a few times over the many years I've watched sports how often games are rigged? I wondered that as I watched the College Football National Championship game tonight. I'm not a fan of either team that played tonight, just to clear that up.

Any one else have any overall thoughts on the likelihood of professional or college sports being rigged, and if so, how often?
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

As far as games being rigged? I've never seen that myself since the Tulane basketball incident a while ago. I played D1 basketball back in the day and I can tell you that there are a LOT of colleges that buy players. That is still the most common problem with college sports.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

If any primary sport (basketball, baseball, football) that is fixed at the college/professional level, I'd go with the NBA. Regular season and playoffs are night and day, many series seem to go longer than they should as well.

Now umpires and referees are a whole other thing.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I don't think as many games are as fixed as you'd think. Now I'm looking at "fixed" as throwing a game to allow another to win.

Don't get me started on the Saints "Bounty Gate" against my beloved Vikings in 2009. I was HOT about that because I was screaming about the open, blatantly dirty hits the entire game. From the get go, nothing seemed clean about that game and those hits. When it came out that there were bounties on my boys, I felt vindicated and HATE the Saints to this day. Dirty scum (Drew Brees not withstanding, he does seem like a good guy). In today's NFL, half of those players would have been ejected for the hits, but back then it's allowed.

If I had to pick a sport where it's potentially more rigged, I'd say college football. Billion dollar industries have some shady, dark sides.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Nothing is ever fixed at a team level – too many moving parts to keep it quiet. Could a player, coach, or ref be leveraged to try and swing something? Sure. There was an NBA ref in recent history that was fired. Still, it would be very difficult as that would just be an individual on a court/field full of other (not fixing) individuals. I would suspect it most likely in an individual sport where the person could defintiely fix the event (tennis, golf, etc.).

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
If any primary sport (basketball, baseball, football) that is fixed at the college/professional level, I'd go with the NBA. Regular season and playoffs are night and day, many series seem to go longer than they should as well.

Now umpires and referees are a whole other thing.
I'd say the NBA as well. One player on a basketball team has more of an impact than baseball or football and it would be more of a point shaving situation rather than throwing a game.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
nameivom
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Nothing is ever fixed at a team level – too many moving parts to keep it quiet. Could a player, coach, or ref be leveraged to try and swing something? Sure. There was an NBA ref in recent history that was fired. Still, it would be very difficult as that would just be an individual on a court/field full of other (not fixing) individuals. I would suspect it most likely in an individual sport where the person could defintiely fix the event (tennis, golf, etc.).
Ever hear about the 1919 Baseball World Series? Eight members of the Chicago White Sox baseball team intentionally played poorly to lose games for money during a championship series.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
Ever hear about the 1919 Baseball World Series? Eight members of the Chicago White Sox baseball team intentionally played poorly to lose games for money during a championship series.
That was also almost 100 years ago.

JadeGiant is right that individual sports matches are easier to fix. Tennis is the prime example.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
Of course I have. The sports world (heck everything really) was completely different 100 years ago. By today's standards pro sports was more like a recreational league than the multi-billion business that it is today.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote