Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Luminous
Cyclops

I have to agree about framing the Perkins set individually. Just my 2 cents.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
If it were me I'd frame that Perkins set individually though. I know it would cost more and not fit in exactly like the other two but it would look so cool like that. It would also break up the uniformity of having 3 of the same size prints on the same wall. Not that that would look bad its just that one of my favorite aspects of that Perkins set is that they're independent prints that by themselves are a small part of a bigger whole, which is quite unique, and I think framing them together completely kills that. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
There you go Nick. That's 4 cents now. Can't ignore that.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Sorry buddy, misread and thought you were looking for a "vote"

If you do go the route of individually framing up the Perkins it may break up the space nicely with the three of them in a horizontal alignment between the other two. One thing to consider, and I am assuming this, is that the Perkins together will neccesitate a larger frame than the other two, so matching frames may be out the window anyways.
Thanks MM. Reading everyone's suggestions we're starting to rethink the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Ah, a blank wall. We have two left in my house. One is upstairs between the kids rooms (probably the next useable real estate) and the other is along our "formal" living/dining area which is currently used by the boys for games/playing. I've done what you're doing right now, IMO, it's one of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby. You heard about the art, obtained it (via whatever means), you flattened it, and there it has sat until today. Awesome. I was pretty particular about which Englerts to put up, they had to not only compliment each other, but, also had to be of more importance to me than the rest. I like your selection and think it's gonna look great! I personally would've fought hard for the Stat Wars set (which one btw). My wife pretty much let's me put up whatever within reason.

Oh, also, you're gonna need a big ass ladder and if your wife is anything like mine, a Xanex for her while you're climbing that big ass ladder. Maybe a nice Chardonnay to chase it down, she'll be flying.
Thanks Rob. I love the SW variants, but my wife wanted a bit more variety in the prints. We both agreed on the BTILC straight up, but my wife chose the Good, Bad, Ugly prints and I chose Robo. We both wanted really iconic films and some pretty diverse looking prints / styles.

As far as hanging them, I think I'll probably get a pro into to do it. There's a local guy here (called The Hangman) who does great work. I don't want to risk anything falling down due to my dodgy handy work. It's a pretty big drop

Quote:
Great choices Nick! Glad to see you framing some stuff from your portfolio. Speaking from experience you're going to love that BTiLC once you get it up on the wall. There is so much detail in Stout's work you'll find yourself staring at it at random times as you pass it.

If it were me I'd frame that Perkins set individually though. I know it would cost more and not fit in exactly like the other two but it would look so cool like that. It would also break up the uniformity of having 3 of the same size prints on the same wall. Not that that would look bad its just that one of my favorite aspects of that Perkins set is that they're independent prints that by themselves are a small part of a bigger whole, which is quite unique, and I think framing them together completely kills that. Just my 2 cents.

As far as frames and mats are concerned I'd recommend going into your framer's and checking out as many combinations as possible. Go with what you think works best. In my frame-ups I try and pull some color out of the prints into my mats and/or frame without taking the attention away from the artwork. Its a fun process and more of a personal taste thing so I'll refrain from making any specific recommendations. Plus you've already seen my BTiLC frame-up so you know how I'd do that one. That being said I'd do something much more simplistic with that Perkins set. Robocop should be a fun one too, a metal frame might look nice.

One thing I will say is I'd refrain from trying to make them all look similar just because they'll be on the same wall. They're not part of a set so let them breathe on their own. Chances are they won't always be hanging next to one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Quote:
There you go Nick. That's 4 cents now. Can't ignore that.
Thanks lads. Really appreciate the advice. We'd originally thought of doing the Perkins set individually, then decided uniformity was more important. But I think you guys are right. We'll frame them individually and we'll choose frames that individually suit the art rather than something generic for all of them. I suppose that's half the fun of actually framing them anyway.

Consider your 4 cents well spent
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Those are awesome looking prints!
Thanks RS. Will post framed pics as soon as there done
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Sithlord32
New Republic

I like that take on the Eastwood flick. Those are all great prints im sure whatever you decide youll be happy with. One thing to consider and ive done this myself without the forethought is how well they look next to each other too. Two busy prints and one solid color. Line them up and make sure your happy with how they look together. Just my $.02
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
I like that take on the Eastwood flick. Those are all great prints im sure whatever you decide youll be happy with. One thing to consider and ive done this myself without the forethought is how well they look next to each other too. Two busy prints and one solid color. Line them up and make sure your happy with how they look together. Just my $.02
Thanks Rob. I know what you mean about being too busy. But it's a decent expanse of wall. We laid them out across the floor with a substantial amount of space and they looked pretty cool.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Thanks Rob. I know what you mean about being too busy. But it's a decent expanse of wall. We laid them out across the floor with a substantial amount of space and they looked pretty cool.
Right on. Well the hard part is over then. Framing and matting can take a while to decide on too. Whether to frame them because they will be adorned on the same wall or set them up to enhance each individually is something i always have trouble with.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Right on. Well the hard part is over then. Framing and matting can take a while to decide on too. Whether to frame them because they will be adorned on the same wall or set them up to enhance each individually is something i always have trouble with.
I think I'll go with the latter. As Scott suggested, they may not always occupy the same wall, but they will always occupy the same frame so I think I'll go the individual route.

As it's a darker hallway wall, I think I might look into some lighting for them as well.