Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

When is it time......

........to stop?

My print purchasing has dramatically slowed the last few months. I find myself invested in way too many things to come. The Englert sub will pay off whenever that happens, the JC sub (honestly, no idea what's in it anymore) 2nd tube is due soon, the Olly GOT are supposed to ship in July, freaking Lone Indy set taking forever, the Perillo GOT commission is nothing but crickets, and Diaz printing/shipping on hold due to an illness in the family. Am I crazy here? Granted, I'm an exception with the Polyfather thing, but, still, that's $1k! Out of pocket, deducted from the bank account, with absolutely nothing to show for it! At some point someone must've slipped some sh!t in my koolaid because that is completely unlike me. No wonder I slowed down. I guess it also kills me seeing the same kinda stuff each month or every show.

I've pretty much reached the maximum of wall space allocated for hanging any artwork. The billiards room still has an empty wall, but, not for long. I think I've decided to stop buying and maybe even sell, recover my costs and be done. I'll keep the Englerts.

Am I just in shock? Do you guys have bouts with the bug to sell and find something else? I have a whopper Invincible OA collection that is more of a priority that my prints any day.

Just wondering.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

Tuesday June 24, 2014 at 3:55 am est? Just a guess.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

The moment you find yourself asking that question is likely the moment it's time to take a step back. Collectors by nature are completists, obsessive, compulsive, and often enough perfectionists as well. Collectors need to be able to know when and how to rein themselves in, otherwise what was once fun and recreational can become an unhealthy habit or an addiction. Don't ignore the signs and red flags. It only gets worse if you don't take care of it.

If you think it's enough of a problem to bring it up, do something about it. Don't minimize the issue. You'll feel much better once you feel you have a greater control over your hobby than the other way around. Keep the hobby about what you "must have" not on just what you "like" as you'll always like more than what you need.

JMHO
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I slowed down a lot to maybe 2-3 prints a year,Before it was have to have it so I won't miss the boat attitude.Now if i like it then get it.Sold a lot lately.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Simplyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Tuesday June 24, 2014 at 3:55 am est? Just a guess.
Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The moment you find yourself asking that question is likely the moment it's time to take a step back. Collectors by nature are completists, obsessive, compulsive, and often enough perfectionists as well. Collectors need to be able to know when and how to rein themselves in, otherwise what was once fun and recreational can become an unhealthy habit or an addiction. Don't ignore the signs and red flags. It only gets worse if you don't take care of it.

If you think it's enough of a problem to bring it up, do something about it. Don't minimize the issue. You'll feel much better once you feel you have a greater control over your hobby than the other way around. Keep the hobby about what you "must have" not on just what you "like" as you'll always like more than what you need.

JMHO
Dude. Straight knowledge.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I got in this hobby a little over a year ago. Recently i found myself selling alot of my collection and downsizing until i only keep pieces i will 100% frame someday.

Yeah i hear you rob. I'm in like 4-5 commissions, plus who knows what will come out this summer!

For me personally, i'm keeping things uniform to my favorite films, 24x36 or 12 x 36, and only stuff i will 100% frame.

With that said i recently went through my collection and started moving things out. Sold several pieces this and last week. While i liked them you know what? I can't say i miss them a whole lot. Meanwhile my collection feels even better and smaller. I appreciate my favorite pieces even more!
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Right now I have the universal monsters posters hanging up and the S King Dark Tower piece from SDCC. When I move, I am debating selling all posters and prints and getting the stout Star Wars trilogy to hang in our movie room. If not, I will hang the monster ones there.

It's tough because there is no enjoyment in having a print in a tube.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Simplyrob

Quote:
Right now I have the universal monsters posters hanging up and the S King Dark Tower piece from SDCC. When I move, I am debating selling all posters and prints and getting the stout Star Wars trilogy to hang in our movie room. If not, I will hang the monster ones there.

I get this. I'd love to sell what I have and put it all in OA. No enjoyment outta an oversized, overweight, immobile portfolio either.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

There's good argument to suggest that out-of-control collecting can become a kind of hoarding. It isn't healthy to keep stacking up on collectibles, especially if there's no genuine intent or even time to enjoy them.

Over the last few years, I have found that the smaller my collection, the more I enjoy it.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
None whatsoever, other than to feel you might have something rare and coveted or to flip. IMO, sell everything you don't need while you can and get something else you can enjoy. Don't stress necessarily over making top dollar if you don't have to. Incidentally, you may actually make more selling two or three at a time. Make your cash and get something which won't end up in tubes.

Over the last few years, I have found that the smaller my collection, the more I enjoy it.
This^
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote