Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The moment you find yourself asking that question is likely the moment it's time to take a step back. Collectors by nature are completists, obsessive, compulsive, and often enough perfectionists as well. Collectors need to be able to know when and how to rein themselves in, otherwise what was once fun and recreational can become an unhealthy habit or an addiction. Don't ignore the signs and red flags. It only gets worse if you don't take care of it.

If you think it's enough of a problem to bring it up, do something about it. Don't minimize the issue. You'll feel much better once you feel you have a greater control over your hobby than the other way around. Keep the hobby about what you "must have" not on just what you "like" as you'll always like more than what you need.

JMHO
This.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

risingstar pretty much nailed it. We've all been there, some of us are still there, while others have been there and back again. Those of us that have taken that step back can appreciate the knowledge dropped in his post.

Heck I'm in the process of taking another step back myself. In regards to posters/prints I too went way overboard. Breaking my rule when I got into this game not to buy anything I didn't see myself hanging on my walls someday. Once more I find myself dialing it back, selling off large portions of my collection and regrouping. It's a vicious cycle.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
risingstar pretty much nailed it. We've all been there, some of us are still there, while others have been there and back again. Those of us that have taken that step back can appreciate the knowledge dropped in his post.

Heck I'm in the process of taking another step back myself. In regards to posters/prints I too went way overboard. Breaking my rule when I got into this game not to buy anything I didn't see myself hanging on my walls someday. Once more I find myself dialing it back, selling off large portions of my collection and regrouping. It's a vicious cycle.
The killer for me is knowing that money is lost that one will never recuperate. Sure there have been some nice appreciations on pieces but more often than not, once shipping ect. is calculated, I am finding myself in the hole. Statues and prints in my experience and I never seem to sell at the sweet spot either.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #14
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
The killer for me is knowing that money is lost that one will never recuperate. Sure there have been some nice appreciations on pieces but more often than not, once shipping ect. is calculated, I am finding myself in the hole. Statues and prints in my experience and I never seem to sell at the sweet spot either.
I guess I've been pretty fortunate over the years then. Most of what I've bought and then later sold I've enjoyed in my collection and then profited from when the time comes to part with them. Some I've broke even on but there have been very few I've actually lost money selling. That said my experience selling items from my collection has been mostly limited to statues. Up until recently I've sold very few art prints.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

I noticed you're selling a lot of older statues now Hellboy. Are you just scaling down?
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
I noticed you're selling a lot of older statues now Hellboy. Are you just scaling down?
Yeah, scaling down a bit, trying to help finance new pieces and paying off a little debt.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Yeah, scaling down a bit, trying to help finance new pieces and paying off a little debt.
funny. we recently started a statue collection. mostly my sons, but, he's got some beauties already.

reading you guys' thoughts really helps me put things into perspective. for a bit i thought i was "betraying" myself in looking to dump so many great pieces. as i said, our walls are pretty much packed and I'm definitely not gonna be one to swap out art/frames. once its done, its done. of course, if i was to ever land a Drake Falcon Metal, id swap it with the Blade Runner in a second.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote