Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
conopida
Doh!

SCULPTING ADVICES - BEGINNER

Hello, i'm new here and i would love to take some advices from you guys. I love to sculpt and make busts of my favourite characters and I have some questions:

1) What do you use for sculpting? I'm using traditional clay and i would like to expand my knowledge about sculpting materials. I saw you guys are using some type of plastilina or polymer clay. What is the difference between all these materials? What are the best reusable materials for sculpting?

2) What do you recommend in making the moulds? What type of silicone?

3) What do you use for casting?

Thanks a lot!
conopida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Howdy Conopida!

1. I really enjoy using Super Sculpy Firm. It's the grey colored one. Sometimes I mix it with reg. Super Sculpy. The advantage of SS over traditional clay is that you can bake SS fairly easy in your own oven, and then add to it or modify as needed and continue to sculpt and bake as you go. Very strong and durable. You can file, sand, cut of or add to it very easily.

2 I use Smooth On Moldstar silicone for molds. A very easy 2 part system that works well.

3 Again, Smooth Cast resin (320) is great for casting.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
conopida
Doh!

Thanks! But is there any material that you can make a mould from, but without baking it? Just let it harden and make a mould.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

There are air hardening clays, but they usually aren't very good for detailed work.
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
conopida
Doh!

OK, so if i use sculpey i must complete the sculpture in a limited time so the clay doesn't get hard?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
QOBrien67
Frackin!

Super Sculpy won't harden up that I know of until you bake it. I'll take a week or so off leaving it uncovered then go back and start up again.
QOBrien67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I like using Chavant's Y2Klay.

It never hardens but is so firm when you stop working it that it can be milled, drilled and polished. I use a juice glass on a cheap mug/candle warmer to soften it up.

It is not cheap but is 100% reusable.
It accepts very fine detail.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Freakshow19
Doh!

I use plastilina for sculptures, followed by a cheap silicone mold and casting in plaster, plastic or resin.

The mold I use is made from silicone caulk, found at any home depot store. It's not super cheap as I use 3-4 tubes per sculpt, but it's far cheaper than traditional silicone molds. It's a lot of extra steps versus oven baked clays, but I'm not a fan of sculpy, myself, and prefer to use and reuse the giant bucket of plastilina I've amassed over the years.
Freakshow19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Vermis
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conopida View Post
Thanks! But is there any material that you can make a mould from, but without baking it? Just let it harden and make a mould.
Two-part epoxy putty. Stuff like Magic Sculp, Aves Apoxie Sculpt, Milliput, Kneadatite blue/yellow, and more. Mix the two parts to a uniform colour and you have about 1-3 hours before it becomes too stiff to work, a few more hours for full hardness. Needs a slightly different process and attitude to clay sculpting, building in layers and parts from core to details. With the cost of the stuff, it may be better suited to fairly small scale sculptures too.
Vermis is offline   Reply With Quote