Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Shouldn't this be called 27x40? That's what I consider movie poster size. 24x36 are the posters I bought at K-Mart as a kid or Spencer's as a teen.

This you tube video is a good summary of the state of movie posters.

https://youtu.be/VXJiBkFgprQ
It's called 24 x 36 because that is the size that has been embraced by the fans that have helped resurrect the dying art of movie poster illustration.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #12
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
It's called 24 x 36 because that is the size that has been embraced by the fans that have helped resurrect the dying art of movie poster illustration.
If the focus is on the fan art, then tagline "a movie about movie posters" is bit misleading.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
If the focus is on the fan art, then tagline "a movie about movie posters" is bit misleading.
No it isn't about fan art. It's about the art of the poster. How it used to be before movie studios decided to "simplify" things and essentially took the art out of the poster. How the art of the poster was nearly extinguished until fans took it upon themselves to help ressurect it. Yes official studio posters are 27 x 40, but the studios aren't the ones continuing the illustrative aspect of the movie poster and those aren't the posters the fans are supporting.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Shouldn't this be called 27x40? That's what I consider movie poster size.
That's what I thought as well after seeing the title as that's the size of the official studio movie poster. Given the subject matter is covering the evolution of the format though I think either size is applicable.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Given the subject matter is covering the evolution of the format though I think either size is applicable.
Then why not drop the measurements and simply call it "Movie Posters".

This would more accurately cover the origins and evolution rather than mislead people.

With Mondo leading the way, I don't even think they consistently print at 24x36.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
qz33
Rescue

Plus 24X36 is attention getting as an classic idealized female measurement reference.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I dunno, I don't find anything about the title misleading myself. It's clearly aimed at the poster/print collecting community and 24x36 is unquestionably the most popular size for movie posters in today's market. I guess you could've called it "24x36 The Evolution of the Movie Poster" if you wanted but it's splitting hairs if you ask me.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Then why not drop the measurements and simply call it "Movie Posters".

This would more accurately cover the origins and evolution rather than mislead people.
The title says "A movie about movie posters". How exactly are people being misled?

Quote:
With Mondo leading the way, I don't even think they consistently print at 24x36.
That's because they sell prints in general. Not just movie poster art. More often than not their movie posters (prints designed to look like an advertisement for the movie and includes a billing block) are 24 x 36.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #19
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Plus 24X36 is attention getting as an classic idealized female measurement reference.
Ha! Never thought of it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
The title says "A movie about movie posters". How exactly are people being misled?
I was referring to the measurements in the title.

From what I'm gathering here, it seems to be understood that 24x36 seems to be the accepted commercial standard, as opposed to official movie posters released by studios are 27x40 and double-sided.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
From what I'm gathering here, it seems to be understood that 24x36 seems to be the accepted commercial standard, as opposed to official movie posters released by studios are 27x40 and double-sided.
I would say yes, that is what the film might be alluding to. That since the studios abandoned illustrative art in their promotional 27 x 40 posters, the art and collecting community have embraced it's resurgence with the 24 x 36 size.

We'll see though. The film may not even address the dimensions in their title. In which even I myself would question the decision to mention such specific dimensions at all.