Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 01-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #71
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i dont think film accuracy was the goal here, people want thanos in his battle armor with the infinity gauntlet. if it was a smaller statue im sure there would a nano gauntlet switch out (like the iron studios statue)
This.

Without armour he can get the hulk vibe. Infinity gauntlet over nano all the way, it was the one that did the damage and the one he mostly wore in both films. Aesthetically the crystals also look better encased in gold imo. I would be shocked if QS R&D chose the nano gauntlet over the infinity one for a piece of this size and calibre.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #72
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

This new version does appear underscaled.

But then again so was the original bust as well. I have it, and imo it should’ve been bigger.

And film accuracy can be a bit iffy when it comes to statues.

The original bust was under the Endgame licence, but his neck armour never once looked like that in the entire film. The original bust seems to be based on that first scene in Infinity War.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #73
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Anyone saying this bust is not underscaled is simply unfamiliar with the proper scale and/or has not seen in it person. I had the pleasure of seeing this bust near the IS Aquaman bust and the size of the head and shoulders on this Thanos is only slightly bigger. Thanos should be at least 2x the size and in fact it is not even 1.5x.

Don’t take my word for it. Compare the dimensions from the respective companies yourself and adjust for the trident height. It’s clearly not 2x no matter how you look at it.

Now Thanos is a nice piece, and it will be impressive—but not to scale.

I also appreciate the silicone work that goes into making humanlike skin & punched hair. In that aspect the Aquaman bust is much more impressive.

To each their own but I passed on this bust for those reasons.
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #74
qz33
Doctor Doom

And yeah I know all this stuff is made in China. China looks for any opportunity to cut corners at every business contract and endeavor even at the expense of the final result.

Risking the price for the usual Chinese standards of deception for one of the most ambitious pieces ever in the hobby just isn't worth it. If the face is silicone, maybe but polystone is the least likely material for capturing details and giving a consistent result.
Go check out the latest thread posts for Sideshow's Endo to see a fine example of those standards.

But yeah Thanos is supposed to still be bigger. As far as the arm scale perception trumps accuracy because here's the rub regardless of measurements these things function mainly by initial perception. Now these assessments are taken by 2D video and pics but decisions can only be formed on the information available.

As far as value, people mainly justify these purchases comparatively either looking at their own (or others) relative financial perspective or the price of comparable products but there's also intrinsic and absolute value of the same amount of money. Bill Gates can pay $100 for a candy bar all day long that doesn't mean he's stupid enough to even when he wants one.

So for the questionable final result, identified design issues along with the uncertainty of the industry and company (collectible companies that have been around a lot longer than Queen have been in turmoil) 7K just seems like a lot to risk in one basket.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #75
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
And yeah I know all this stuff is made in China. China looks for any opportunity to cut corners at every business contract and endeavor even at the expense of the final result.

Risking the price for the usual Chinese standards of deception for one of the most ambitious pieces ever in the hobby just isn't worth it. If the face is silicone, maybe but polystone is the least likely material for capturing details and giving a consistent result.
Go check out the latest thread posts for Sideshow's Endo to see a fine example of those standards.

But yeah Thanos is supposed to still be bigger. As far as the arm scale perception trumps accuracy because here's the rub regardless of measurements these things function mainly by initial perception. Now these assessments are taken by 2D video and pics but decisions can only be formed on the information available.

As far as value, people mainly justify these purchases comparatively either looking at their own (or others) relative financial perspective or the price of comparable products but there's also intrinsic and absolute value of the same amount of money. Bill Gates can pay $100 for a candy bar all day long that doesn't mean he's stupid enough to even when he wants one.

So for the questionable final result, identified design issues along with the uncertainty of the industry and company (collectible companies that have been around a lot longer than Queen have been in turmoil) 7K just seems like a lot to risk in one basket.
I’m not sure this has been true for many years now.

Sure maybe prior to this century anything made in China ‘could’ be of questionable quality, but now quality is dictated not by country of origin but by how much one is paying their factories now (at least for this type of item).

If the design house pays well they get quality, but if not they may get something subpar. Essentially you get what you pay for. It’s like the old comparisons between ECC versus Sideshow etc.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #76
Dundee
Hydra

I wouldn't compare Sideshows QA to Queen Studios. Sideshow is just as bad if not worst at cutting corners. There still a US company and meant to have good control measures but that is something of the past, disturbingly they choose to not give a rats and value profit over the product.

Collectors don't really have much choice if companies move manufacturing to off shore for cheaper labour and production cost. Can you really blame China for taking this on when countries are literally knocking on their doors wanting to do cheaper business to save significant cost? US companies well know that standards are different there but they don't give a rats, it's simple human greed. In Australia we have sold almost all our critical infrastructure to China. It's absolutely crazy. Why? Because people are inheritantly greedy, especially fat cats and politicians and this works on both spectrums. It's easy to blame it on inferior Chinese products and using this as the scape goat but doing so just clouds the real problem, human greed. There is a simple solution, don't buy their products and move it all back to home soil. Will it happen? Fat chance, why would major corporations do so if there making a killing from it.

The genisys endo lifesize was one of the last pieces to be made in the US and half way through they also decided to move production and painting to China. Its not just China alone but also expanding to the SE asia regions and eventually to countries like India as well. What can we do as collectors? Besides choosing not to buy, nothing else. These big fat cats make the rules and call the shots, it's the world we live in. Either adapt, disrupt it (if your brave enough) or disengage from it all.

This statue is possibly is underscaled, just like the Thanos head as phoenixblazes mentioned but the proportions seem correct to me. If it is indeed underscaled, that would be a shame and also misleading to label it as life size. Ultimately it still sold out, so it seems most people don't care enough for this to be an issue. If scaled correctly, it may end up costing 8-9k plus extra in shipping. Either way, collectors bleed.

I still think this piece is priced correctly for what you get. 7k may be a lot for some of us, but as I said, it's peanuts for others and those others may also happen to be hardcore fans. It sold out surprisingly quickly, so it seems QS knows the market well. Pretty sure quite a few fans missed out (maybe even Brolin himself!)

I wouldn't get into the Bill Gates candy bar example as these type of examples don't hold well because equally we can use examples like new cars that cost around 30k to 40k which we know after a few years easily loses 10k + of it's value, more than this Thanos statue. The average Joe can purchase a 30k car and fine for it to lose value but the average Joe sees a 7k statue as super expensive akin as pricey as a mercedes? See how this doesn't quite compute when we start using examples of candy or cars and compare them to statues and art? The statue can be made to sound super expensive and also equally pedestrian.

As I said it costs peanuts for some and mercs for others. Each to their own. But I will say this piece does look awesome and whoever is able to afford it and got lucky to snag one of the 99 will have an incredible piece to enjoy for years to come. We might even get a few who brought it commentating here in the future and take some sweet pics for the rest of us to enjoy :-)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #77
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’m not sure this has been true for many years now.

Sure maybe prior to this century anything made in China ‘could’ be of questionable quality, but now quality is dictated not by country of origin but by how much one is paying their factories now (at least for this type of item).

If the design house pays well they get quality, but if not they may get something subpar. Essentially you get what you pay for. It’s like the old comparisons between ECC versus Sideshow etc.
You never get what you pay for but you rarely get for what you don't pay for.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #78
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
You never get what you pay for but you rarely get for what you don't pay for.
LOL, never is a strong word. Tell that to those who brought the cinemaquette pred back in 2009 for $1900. They got what they paid for and definitely some more.

The same bloke that says 'arm scale perception trump's accuracy'. Hahaha too funny.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #79
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
LOL, never is a strong word. Tell that to those who brought the cinemaquette pred back in 2009 for $1900. They got what they paid for and definitely some more.

The same bloke that says 'arm scale perception trump's accuracy'. Hahaha too funny.
Exactly because these things have no other purpose but perceptions, appearances, & feels especially in absence of any real actual reference.

If it looks small in person then well it is, no matter what the measure tape may say.
Even if that's not what she said, she definitely thinks it which is all that really matters.

Some people deciding to pay a few times over original still doesn't make it worth the money.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #80
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Exactly because these things have no other purpose but perceptions, appearances, & feels especially in absence of any real actual reference.

If it looks small in person then well it is, no matter what the measure tape may say.
Even if that's not what she said, she definitely thinks it which is all that really matters.

Some people deciding to pay a few times over original still doesn't make it worth the money.
You can say that about most luxury goods.

For me it wasn’t so much the price (which I was hoping would be capped at $5K), but my lack of space to display this monster that stopped me from preordering.