Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #451
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
This movie single handedly altered my collecting course.
Towards collecting Star Wars pieces or against?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #452
Mister H
Gen 13

Wow, didn’t care for it at all. The Rey/Snoke/Kylo scene was alright, the rest was just a mess. Too many scenes that tried too hard to be profound. I didn’t care about anyone except Luke. Critics are drooling over it but it’s getting mixed reviews from the moviegoers. Seems no matter what Disney puts out, the critics love it. Hmm. Anyway, looking forward to the Solo movie and the Obi-Wan movie but not the sequel to this.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #453
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I see a lot of people asking this but there was a line in the movie that actually explains it. When Kylo is first talking to Rey when their minds are connected Kylo says, "you can't be doing this(projecting herself across the galaxy) it'd kill you". What is happening between Rey and Kylo though is actually a connection, what Luke does is a projection of himself, and either the energy it takes or the strain is too much and he more than likely knew that going in but wanted to save the resistance.
But that’s ok, he can make an appearance anytime there is a dramatic need in the next film.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:47 AM   #454
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Man, tough crowd. I’m honestly kind of shocked at some of the comments here. That said I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised as this is more or less the typical polarized reaction Star Wars films always seem to receive. I really think far too many people have unachievable expectations with this franchise and unless the narrative goes exactly in the direction they want they’re going to slam it, tear it apart and dissect it like they would no other film.

Now I had my issues with The Force Awakens borrowing too many story beats from ANH but even I could look past that and still enjoy a well put together Star Wars film with some interesting new characters and ideas being introduced. The Last Jedi however took more of the chances I really wanted to see from a narrative standpoint, pushing the franchise in bold new directions. In fact it’s the first SW film since the OT to really do this as the PT was more or less mapped out and you knew how it would ultimately end. Rogue One was literally bookended by ANH and both it and TFA took a play it safe approach relying heavily on nostalgia. TLJ has more unpredictability, twists and turns than any SW film in the Saga and feels like a much needed breath of fresh air for the franchise. I personally loved every minute of it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #455
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Man, tough crowd. I’m honestly kind of shocked at some of the comments here. That said I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised as this is more or less the typical polarized reaction Star Wars films always seem to receive. I really think far too many people have unachievable expectations with this franchise and unless the narrative goes exactly in the direction they want they’re going to slam it, tear it apart and dissect it like they would no other film.

Now I had my issues with The Force Awakens borrowing too many story beats from ANH but even I could look past that and still enjoy a well put together Star Wars film with some interesting new characters and ideas being introduced. The Last Jedi however took more of the chances I really wanted to see from a narrative standpoint, pushing the franchise in bold new directions. In fact it’s the first SW film since the OT to really do this as the PT was more or less mapped out and you knew how it would ultimately end. Rogue One was literally bookended by ANH and both it and TFA took a play it safe approach relying heavily on nostalgia. TLJ has more unpredictability, twists and turns than any SW film in the Saga and feels like a much needed breath of fresh air for the franchise. I personally loved every minute of it.
No one hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans.

I agree whole heartedly. I loved the risks they took, the new direction and precedents that were set.

Some of the negative comments sound like ownership issues. "You didn't explain Snoke" or "Rey's Parents should have been somebody important"comments are the epitome of this to me.

We knew nothing about the Emperor, even really after ROTJ, but it didn't stop him being a malevolent force in the movie. And given the three terrible movies we did get explaining his past, I would have rather that history stay shrouded. Sometimes we don't need a convoluted history to make a character effective. And as for the 'he should have sensed the lightsaber turn', I suppose Palpatine sensed Vader rushing towards him to throw him down the shaft in ROTJ too? Oh wait...

Rey's parents ARE important. To HER. That's kind of the point. The only place in the universe they need to occupy is in that girl's mind. I'm not even truly convinced that Ren isn't playing tricks on her, but if that fact is true then what the hell does it really matter?

I think the Marvel films have spoilt cinema in a lot of ways. If things aren't exactly as the fans EXPECT them, this overarching need to be disappointed with something (seems not to be such a millennial specific problem) and complain that it's not THEIR Star Wars appears.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #456
protector2814
Phoenix

The Wash. Post is reporting this a.m., in their style section, that the movie which made a $450 million global debut & "2 out of 3 viewers judged the movie to be excellent according to comScore." The Post goes on & says "Lucasfilm, led by pres. Kathleen Kennedy & Disney have announced that Director Johnson would be handed the creative reins to a new Star Wars Trilogy after J. Abrams finishes ep. IX in 2019."
So, it looks like Rian Johnson is the MAN for the nest trilogy; according to the Post.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #457
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:

I totally agree with this. Honestly, Star Wars never felt fresher to me and I loved how bold they were with this. The more I think about the movie, the more I like it and I definitely need to see a few more times.

We had 2 years of people complaining that TFA was too much like ANH and now we will have 2 years of people complaining that TLJ is too different.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #458
Mister H
Gen 13

Well, folks are certainly entitled to their own opinions, whether we agree with them or not. I can see where folks would like the movie, just like I could see where folks would like Thor:Ragnarock, neither one were my cup of tea. Rogue One was, IMO, the direction I would like to see the SW films go, in terms of the seriousness/levity ratio. I think that we will have quite a few more SW movies to pick and choose from in the future. Some we will like and some we won’t, and even though “I” don’t care for this particular movie, I’m glad it’s raking in the coin, which means we will see future SW movies being made. And eventually, The Old Republic will be green litt. Fingers crossed.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #459
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

You and I usually have very different tastes but on this we totally agree. I loved it. I hope the Next film is just as unexpected.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #460
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
But that’s ok, he can make an appearance anytime there is a dramatic need in the next film.
Of course! He's a Force Ghost. I can't wait to see those Rey and Luke Conversations.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote