Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #851
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
Goes into Kylo's room, laser sword in hand with the intent to kill him in his sleep.

Not a flawed person, a psychopath that is antithetical to the heart of Star Wars and the Skywalker character.

What amazes me is that people are willing to make any excuse for this terrible monstrosity of film making. The decimation of the Skywalker character is the most troubling but there is a lot of other stuff to hate about this movie as well. Lol.
Agreed, the writing and story was just GOD AWFUL on so many levels. Amazed that it was even approved and JJ or any other Star Wars fan allowed it. Unreal.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #852
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Agreed, the writing and story was just GOD AWFUL on so many levels. Amazed that it was even approved and JJ or any other Star Wars fan allowed it. Unreal.
JJ has a lot of work ahead of him if he has any chance of correcting this dumpster fire of a movie when he makes episode 9, I dont even think he can save this new trilogy at this point its too far gone. Ill never appreciate or like the direction they took with "luke skywalker" and regardless of how many people try and explain it and justify it, it'll never sit well with me or from the looks of it at least half of the fan base
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #853
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
JJ has a lot of work ahead of him if he has any chance of correcting this dumpster fire of a movie when he makes episode 9, I dont even think he can save this new trilogy at this point its too far gone. Ill never appreciate or like the direction they took with "luke skywalker" and regardless of how many people try and explain it and justify it, it'll never sit well with me or from the looks of it at least half of the fan base
JJ messed up big time in TFA by not having at least one scene with the original cast “together again.” Major disappointment and now that can never happen. I liked TFA but it too could have been so much more with Luke.
I loved Hamill’s idea of Luke seeing Han’s death.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #854
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
JJ messed up big time in TFA by not having at least one scene with the original cast “together again.” Major disappointment and now that can never happen. I liked TFA but it too could have been so much more with Luke.
I loved Hamill’s idea of Luke seeing Han’s death.
trust me, I have no love of TFA, (TFA and TLJ are my 2 least favorite star wars movies) and I feel JJ's best sci-fi work was his star trek movies, but as of now hes our last hope to right this trainwreck, at the very least he laid out some interesting plot points in TFA that could have been great if Rian didnt drop every one of them, he is a better movie maker than Rian by leagues so im going to remain optimistic and see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat...but even if ep9 is amazing, the trilogy as a whole will still be bad because of TFA and TLJ dragging it down. Also im still not sure if its JJ or Kathleen to blame when it comes to the original characters getting shoehorned out of the movies without even getting to be reunited, im assuming that was more disney/kathleens decision than JJ's because they want to make the iconic characters look like tools to make their new lame as hell characters like rey and finn look better by comparison
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #855
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

As painful as it is, the franchise needs to move on. You cannot have Luke, Han or Leia running forever young. It is ridiculous to assume that every story has a happy ending. That the galaxy is a perfect place once the end credits roll. whether we accept it or not, a new conflict needs to arise. New heroes need to be brought up from the ashes of old ones. Unless we are willing to accept a re-boot of the entire universe, nothing else is going to happen. Might as well enjoy the ride.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #856
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
As painful as it is, the franchise needs to move on. You cannot have Luke, Han or Leia running forever young. It is ridiculous to assume that every story has a happy ending. That the galaxy is a perfect place once the end credits roll. whether we accept it or not, a new conflict needs to arise. New heroes need to be brought up from the ashes of old ones. Unless we are willing to accept a re-boot of the entire universe, nothing else is going to happen. Might as well enjoy the ride.
i have no problem with the franchise moving on with new characters, as long as they did it with respect to the legacy characters, which they did not, they could have not been anymore disrespectful to Luke's character especially. It'd also make it an easier pill to swallow if even one of their new characters was actually good or interesting in any way, but none of them are. Snoke was the only interesting character...and well, we all know how that turned out

Luke's character could have progressed anyway they wanted, his path was not set in stone and was up to the writer, they chose to make him look like a disgusting failure and fool knowing how many fans they'd piss off

if this is the future of star wars I dont think I can just sit back and enjoy the ride, i'd rather just get off the ride until they start treating this property with respect instead of treating it like a golden goose to be used and abused without any second thought
Old 01-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #857
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
i have no problem with the franchise moving on with new characters, as long as they did it with respect to the legacy characters, which they did not, they could have not been anymore disrespectful to Luke's character especially. It'd also make it an easier pill to swallow if even one of their new characters was actually good or interesting in any way, but none of them are. Snoke was the only interesting character...and well, we all know how that turned out

Luke's character could have progressed anyway they wanted, his path was not set in stone and was up to the writer, they chose to make him look like a disgusting failure and fool knowing how many fans they'd piss off

if this is the future of star wars I dont think I can just sit back and enjoy the ride, i'd rather just get off the ride until they start treating this property with respect instead of treating it like a golden goose to be used and abused without any second thought
I respect the points you make. Unfortunately, I do not see them under the same light. Perhaps, I am tired of the same old Hollywood formula. Or perhaps it is the consequence of getting cynical in my old age.

In any case, I have to agree that the demise of the classic characters felt a bit rushed and deliberate. But I believe it to be a calculated risk. One way or another, the studio has to pass the baton from one generation to another. And that means killing or deposing the previous main characters.

Although I could not understand the motivation of overpowering Rey at first, now I can see the reason behind it. In order to make the transition viable, they need to have old and new interacting at the same level. Once this is accomplished, they can safely kill the relics of the past. It is not a clean kill but it is a safe one.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #858
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Man, they moderated the heck out of this thread.

lol
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #859
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I respect the points you make. Unfortunately, I do not see them under the same light. Perhaps, I am tired of the same old Hollywood formula. Or perhaps it is the consequence of getting cynical in my old age.

In any case, I have to agree that the demise of the classic characters felt a bit rushed and deliberate. But I believe it to be a calculated risk. One way or another, the studio has to pass the baton from one generation to another. And that means killing or deposing the previous main characters.

Although I could not understand the motivation of overpowering Rey at first, now I can see the reason behind it. In order to make the transition viable, they need to have old and new interacting at the same level. Once this is accomplished, they can safely kill the relics of the past. It is not a clean kill but it is a safe one.
In order to make the transition viable? It seems to me that the slip shod method they used of disregarding so much of what came before is a pretty hazardous way of transitioning. Alienating so many of the fans of the original Star Wars is a tricky business, because this new "guard" may bury this franchise if the new Star Wars audience doesn't become as invested as the old crowd was. They're on a slippery slope with this tack, IMO.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #860
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

This new trilogy will not have a lasting effect of the original or even the prequels. TFA and TLJ are forgettable. We all need to move on.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote