Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #1221
KELPIE
New Republic

I don't understand how anyone could excuse the thigh armour and believe that some people won't notice?

It's not in the same position on each leg. If only for the sake of symmetry, it looks wrong.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #1222
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
I don't understand how anyone could excuse the thigh armour and believe that some people won't notice?

It's not in the same position on each leg. If only for the sake of symmetry, it looks wrong.
It has been my belief for a while now that the collecting community has become more concerned with not missing out on a potentially rare item, than the item itself.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #1223
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Regarding your post JAWS:

The thing is, we know Steve's take on it was just that - his own take. Having a nameplate stating as much wouldn't change a thing at this point, because everyone already knows his intention behind it. Sideshow is in the business of making screen-accurate collectibles (or they try to at least).

Accurate or not, the Cinemaquette looks phenomenal. That head sculpt is a thing of beauty. Sideshow's head sculpt? Not so much. Personally I think it looks like a sub-par imitation.

Steve Wang is also an incredibly talented artist who even worked on the original creature. If anyone has the right to change the sculpt up a bit and show how they think it should have looked, it's him.

I'm all for artistic interpretations. I like and appreciate some of Narin's stuff and other custom predator creations out there. But Sideshow's sculpt isn't supposed to be an artistic interpretation, it's just inaccurate.

So I wouldn't say this is the same situation as the Cinemaquette at all.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #1224
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
It has been my belief for a while now that the collecting community has become more concerned with not missing out on a potentially rare item, than the item itself.
I agree, I see this all the time.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #1225
jfyahui
Death is hereditary.

What I mean is...most people will not spot those mistakes..including me ...and I'm a fan...I'm getting this statue because I've always wanted a p/1, and its good enough for my taste,
I think this statue will be worth a lot more then retail once its sold out...I get the issue with the leg armour, but for those of us that missed out on the earlier versions,when are we likely to see another
P/1 statue?
jfyahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #1226
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfyahui View Post
What I mean is...most people will not spot those mistakes..including me ...and I'm a fan...I'm getting this statue because I've always wanted a p/1, and its good enough for my taste,
I think this statue will be worth a lot more then retail once its sold out...I get the issue with the leg armour, but for those of us that missed out on the earlier versions,when are we likely to see another
P/1 statue?
If it is good enough for you, then get it. But there will be another. In all honesty, there isn't a huge pool to draw from with Predator. They can make Wolf, P2 Elder and maybe Berzerker maquettes. There would never be enough interest in Celtic, Chopper, Scar, Falconer or Tracker to make 1400 1/4 maquettes. Jungle, City, Wolf and P2 Elder are really the bread and butter of Predator. If SS doesn't do one, someone else will.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #1227
jfyahui
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
If it is good enough for you, then get it. But there will be another. In all honesty, there isn't a huge pool to draw from with Predator. They can make Wolf, P2 Elder and maybe Berzerker maquettes. There would never be enough interest in Celtic, Chopper, Scar, Falconer or Tracker to make 1400 1/4 maquettes. Jungle, City, Wolf and P2 Elder are really the bread and butter of Predator. If SS doesn't do one, someone else will.
I'm getting it,I've already committed,it doesn't look that bad... and who knows..they might change some issues?..
They did it with modern batman,the emblem issue ,..
I love xm...I get most of my marvel fix from them,but predator/aliens?im not sure I like their take on them,sideshow did some amazing alien statues(big chap,warrior)..I prefer more sideshow's take...just wished their qc was better.
jfyahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #1228
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

I think that some people are looking at the original P1 maquette, the Cinemaquette, and the Wolf LSF, and thinking that the same is going to apply with the new P2 and this maquette. I think a lot of people are potentially going to be disappointed if they are buying these for their future values. Although flawed, these two recent statues are still nice for all intents and purposes, but not in the same category as the other three. Even if some truly great pieces come out later, the SWS P1, the Cinemaquette, and the Wolf LSF will retain their value because they are all very high quality and desirable. I think that if something better comes out in a few years it will negatively impact the aftermarket value of these two. In other words, buy these because you like them, not because you think they are going to be the next Cinemaquette.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #1229
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

The Pred is stated as 1:4, and I think Sideshow's Dutch is supposed to be about the same.

If I've got the measurements right, this is what they look like scaled next to one-another.

Dutch seems a bit undersized until you look at movie stills (and Narin's "Encounter") + allow for Dutch's bent knees, and then it seems about right.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this as well (lol) - but I think they look great next to one-another.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #1230
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Some of you guys seem to forget that as with almost everything in life, there are casual fans:

And there are hard core fans:

The casual fans just don't have the same motivations nor do they care about the same level of detail that hardcore fans do and yet they probably make up the majority of people who buy this stuff.

Doesn't mean they are wrong, ignorant or that they are suffering from FOMO. Just makes em different.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote