Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #1021
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It's sad that there are still people upset over predator fans wanting accurate pieces.

Can't make a complaint about an inaccurate predator statue without being labeled a "nitpicker", or, "anal retentive", etc.

It's getting on my nerves, actually. I'm sick of being insulted because I want greater accuracy that is also very easily achieveable.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #1022
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
Nope - I saw the invoice. It clearly showed the amount removed from the NRD . . . net charge at this time was zero.

That would be a first and was probably a coding error then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I'm not refuting the accuracy part...believe me...but there is also a lot to appreciate about this SS Predator statue as well.

It's like the kid that comes home with all A's and one B on his / her report card and the parents only look at the B instead of congratulaing him on all the A's. Sure, talk about the B because we can all improve, but don't forget to praise the A's.
Well said Loric.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #1023
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:

How about we all give a care and stop being so anal retentive about super duper screen accuracy. Why not just enjoy the sculpt and the essence of the character? Predator and SW fans are just so damn persnickety.

Here here Predator and SW fans. Here is ABC and a great word that pertains to you all today.

Full Definition of persnickety

a : fussy about small details : fastidious <a persnickety teacher> b : having the characteristics of a snob

: requiring great precision <a persnickety job>

persnicketiness play \-nəs\ noun
This attitude is literally the reason that SS doesn't strive for higher quality. They know that customers won't sweat the small stuff. You know, like the leg armor being completely in the wrong location, the P2 spear being half the scale it should be, using a stunt helmet as reference to sculpt the P2 bio. Substandard paint application. Using decals on a $1200 collectible. If everyone else was screwing up too, and we were holding SS to a higher standard, your criticism would be justified. Everything that SS can't seem to get right, NECA manages to succeed at with a $200 figure. Logically speaking, do you expect a higher level of quality from a $200 item or a $1200 item?

This new license holder may do more cartoony representations. They may do more of an artist's interpretation. If so, I probably won't be very interested, but at least we will have a choice. There is another company who has implied that they might get a license, and a third confirmed to me personally that they would indeed be doing full figure statues of the character. None of them may deliver in the end, but neither is the only choice we have now, IMO. I have several great finished kits from some of the best artists in the Predator community, and I would be okay if the best days of Predator statues has passed us by. That just gives me the freedom to choose not to spend massive amounts of money on something that I don't think is worth the money.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #1024
Xenoburger

Quote:
I'm not refuting the accuracy part...believe me...but there is also a lot to appreciate about this SS Predator statue as well.

It's like the kid that comes home with all A's and one B on his / her report card and the parents only look at the B instead of congratulaing him on all the A's. Sure, talk about the B because we can all improve, but don't forget to praise the A's.
You could have the body of a statue sculpted and painted by the gods themselves, but if the head sculpt is messed up the whole thing is pretty much ruined.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #1025
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

Well said!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #1026
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
It's sad that there are still people upset over predator fans wanting accurate pieces.

Can't make a complaint about an inaccurate predator statue without being labeled a "nitpicker", or, "anal retentive", etc.

It's getting on my nerves, actually. I'm sick of being insulted because I want greater accuracy that is also very easily achieveable.
If it was very EASILY ACHIEVEABLE, then it would have been done already. Would you not agree Xeno?
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #1027
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
This attitude is literally the reason that SS doesn't strive for higher quality. They know that customers won't sweat the small stuff. You know, like the leg armor being completely in the wrong location, the P2 spear being half the scale it should be, using a stunt helmet as reference to sculpt the P2 bio. Substandard paint application. Using decals on a $1200 collectible. If everyone else was screwing up too, and we were holding SS to a higher standard, your criticism would be justified. Everything that SS can't seem to get right, NECA manages to succeed at with a $200 figure. Logically speaking, do you expect a higher level of quality from a $200 item or a $1200 item?

This new license holder may do more cartoony representations. They may do more of an artist's interpretation. If so, I probably won't be very interested, but at least we will have a choice. There is another company who has implied that they might get a license, and a third confirmed to me personally that they would indeed be doing full figure statues of the character. None of them may deliver in the end, but neither is the only choice we have now, IMO. I have several great finished kits from some of the best artists in the Predator community, and I would be okay if the best days of Predator statues has passed us by. That just gives me the freedom to choose not to spend massive amounts of money on something that I don't think is worth the money.
Sideshow doesnt strive for higher quality, lol. If you honestly believe that then you don't understand artists at all. I guarantee each and every artist working at Sideshow strives to improve thier work each and every time they step up to the plate for a particular piece. I have never met an artist in my entire life that wasn't seeking to continue improving on thier work in some manner or another. And Sideshow's quality has improved, both on the design front and QC front as well. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly hasn't gotten any of thier pieces lately. Bringing in sculptors like Will Harbottle is all the proof anyone needs that Sideshow is looking to improve the quality of thier work. And his pieces have been absolutely dynamite thus far.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #1028
Xenoburger

Quote:
If it was very EASILY ACHIEVEABLE, then it would have been done already. Would you not agree Xeno?
It has been, but not in the form of high-end statues because only Sideshow holds the license for Predator statues as far as I know.

NECA's cheap-o plastic predator figures have more accurate head sculpts than Sideshow's $1000+ statues, except for the SWS Maquette of course.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #1029
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post

Everything you point out is on the money. I absolutely agree companies need to be held to a high standard. And of course I expect accuracy on both $200 and $1200 items. $200 is nothing to sneeze at either. But holding them to a perfection standard is not realistic. Nothing's perfect. It's a tried and true statement.

I get more a sense of Predator and SW fans are perfection hounds. Is the Cinemaquette Predator done by Steve Wang perfect? Because if it wasn't perfect coming from his own hands, how can anyone expect it to be from SS?
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #1030
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
Finally, some thoughts about the gap in the mask. I'm thinking that maybe the mask wasn't pushed into the head far enough for the photo shoot. As you can see from the SDCC pics, the mask sits flush with the head here. Why would they change that for the final piece?
I wonder whether the bio is actually not a COH, but an add-on piece. Magnetized, perhaps.

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote