Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

The Walking Dead - TV spoilers - NO BOOK SPOILERS

SPOILERS AHOY....

I thought since I've watched the first episode twice now, and read the issue of the comic in between, I'd give a bit of a review.

So bear in mind this thread will contain spoilers regarding the first episode and the subsequent ones.

If you don't like spoilers or haven't seen the first episode, run like the dead are after you.

I'll try to keep the review spoiler free, and then all comments after are going to be opinions on the episodes details.

EPISODE 1 - Days Gone By

As a big fan of the comic and zombies in general, it was always going to be hard for me to treat this episode with a reviewer's bias. Anyone who has seen any of the reviews online has probably seen that each one is more or less glowing, with positive adjectives littering the articles.

However, it comes at a time when horror based TV and film have become more shambolic and shaky than the zombies themselves. The Undead in particular have been poked fun at quite a bit with the likes of Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland and the simply amazing Brit mini series Dead Set. What once was a scary yet satirical take on horror has turned to comedy.

But I'm thrilled to say that after watching the pilot episode, I can say that this franchise will give the zombie world a shot in the arm (or head). The first episode has promised to deliver a respectful and thrilling ride over the next few months.

As most if not all on this forum should know, The Walking Dead is based on Robert Kirkman's comic of the same name, detailing the time following an apocalypse of the undead kind. The story follows Sheriff's Deputy Rick Grimes and his makeshift family of fellow survivors as they try to survive in this new rotting landscape. I think most people will be surprised that this TV show has layers that no other zombie product has ever delivered. Human relationships are the key to the story, and we're going to be first and foremost witnessing the best and worst of humanity delivered in this series.

The first episode's opening scene starts exactly as it means to go on. It's a gutsy and risky prologue for potential new fans to swallow, but as a reader of the comic, it was the only way to start the series with the pace and feel that it needed. The series Director and writer, Frank Darabont, has thrown down a sizeable gauntlet, announcing that this TV series will be completely different than the likes of Lost or Dexter, and if you don't feel comfortable with that opening scene, it's only the tip of the iceberg. After the prologue, we're treated to a scene that highlights the series intent to make human relationships the centre of this series. Switching from friendly to tense in a nano second, we witness the event that kicks Rick Grimes right smack bang in the middle of a nightmare.

The episode is simply amazing for a number of reasons. The first is the genius of Frank Darabont. As a movie director, the real threat was that he wouldn't be able to handle a story of prolonged, subtle reveals or that he would lose his artistic vision on a smaller scale. Thankfully this isn't the case. Whilst still remaining amazingly faithful to the comic, Darabont puts his stamp on the series from minute one. Along with the help of cinematographer David Tattersall and makeup FX artist Greg Nicotero, Darabont adds an epic, movie feel to every scene, even those talky scenes are treated beautifully. Add to that the sheer epicness of some of those expositional shots using overhead crane shots add the Hollywood touch and give the drama a real feel that has not compromised on either the comic or Darabont's style.

Of course the other human element is the cast, and there is a great one here. Andrew Lincoln is fantastic as Rick, quiet and considered, but still very human, his actions seem natural and realistic in an unrealistic world. From Rick's 'awakening' to the last scene of the episode, Lincoln's performance never falters. Two brilliant and unfortunately fleeting guest stars are able to really bring in a family connection for the episode in Lennie James as Morgan Jones and Adrian Kali Turner as his son Duane. Some extra elements have been added to this part of the episode that aren't in the comic. Morgan seems very edgy and untrusting at first, which makes perfect sense in context.

In the comic, these two characters merely exist to bring Rick up to date and explain the Zombies, but there has been some great stuff added to Duane and Morgan's characters, which culminates in an emotionally investing end. Character development again at the forefront of Darabont's mind.

It's apparent that Darabont is a fan of the comic. He respects the important elements of the original story, and only adds elements he feels contributes to the story, which completely do. The intensity of the feel of the piece is pitch perfect, the scares are there without taking the easy route of shock horror. Even conversations in relative safety will keep you on the edge of your seat. it's overwhelming almost to think that this will continue for a whole season of TV at least. And to think that if you have knowledge of the comic, you know what horrors are coming.

There are some weaknesses, the action at times feels like it's never coming, which only in turn adds to the tense feeling, so much so that it's almost exhausting to watch. The other minor point is that we didn't get enough time checking on any other survivors, but the small glimpses we do get make me think everything is shaping up nicely.

There are so many other elements to gush about here, the beautiful score, the cinematographic panel-making every scene dreary and gray, and the fantastic opening scene, reminiscent of Fincher's opening credits for Se7en.

Watching the Walking Dead really made me feel as if I was beginning something absolutlely ground breaking. Watch this episode on Saturday and prepare to be amazed. I know I was.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
RichBamf

And I hope people notice that Carl and the other campsite survivors are all wearing EXACTLY the same clothes as in the comic....very cool touch.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

Some changes were made, but all made sense to this being a tv show. I love how seriously they are taking. The last 10 or so minutes was absolutely fantastic!

And wow that was some good zombie makeup.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Some changes were made, but all made sense to this being a tv show. I love how seriously they are taking. The last 10 or so minutes was absolutely fantastic!

And wow that was some good zombie makeup.
The legless Zombie was freakishly good, I was amazed at that. They must have hired an amputee actor for that part...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
rychehitman
Galactus

I thought this aired on the 31st? How are you guys seeing this already?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

I thought it started airing on FX in the UK in Nov?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Time traveler's
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
I thought it started airing on FX in the UK in Nov?
Powers of the internet my friends....
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I was just about to ask where had you seen this Rich. Then I scroll down to see your last post. Is it a torent site or a legit site?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
rychehitman
Galactus

oh great....I have been duped into partaking in a thread regarding illegal activity...

damn you Bamfer! Yet another point next to my name in the mod section!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote