Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Why did they replace the actor with Rob Zombie?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #22
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

AQUA-LOBO
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Why did they replace the actor with Rob Zombie?
Exactly what I was going to say!

They really want to distance him from the classic look, I do get that, but he looks nothing like Aquaman.
I like Momoa, so I'm sure he'll be good.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #24
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Well, it's a tat fest. I was hoping they wouldn't go this direction. I'm also not fond of the beard. They might as well call him King Triton, and just bag the Aquaman handle, because he looks nothing like Aquaman. Now.......that's not to say that he doesn't look cool, because he does look cool....he looks VERY COOL. He just looks like he's playing a role in a Greek myth, Clash of the Titans film, or something.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:29 AM   #25
SONICobra
Bane

he looks awesome, makes me want to get some new ink
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 AM   #26
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Exactly what I was going to say!

They really want to distance him from the classic look, I do get that, but he looks nothing like Aquaman.
I like Momoa, so I'm sure he'll be good.
"Looks nothing like Aquaman"?

Even Peter David, on his Twitter, noted (and was flattered) that they used his version of Aquaman as their template. This is absolutely an Aquaman we've seen before.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #27
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
"Looks nothing like Aquaman"?
I should have been more specific, he looks nothing like the Aquaman most people would recognize. The classic and current Aquaman is probably the version most people are familiar with. I myself am well aware of the bearded, hook handed Aquaman, but that's not at all what I think of when I think of Aquaman. I do get them going with the harder edge Aquaman though, they need to toughen him up in people's minds.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #28
adee
Green Arrow

I don't think he looks anything like that Aquaman either
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #29
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I should have been more specific, he looks nothing like the Aquaman most people would recognize. The classic and current Aquaman is probably the version most people are familiar with. I myself am well aware of the bearded, hook handed Aquaman, but that's not at all what I think of when I think of Aquaman. I do get them going with the harder edge Aquaman though, they need to toughen him up in people's minds.
The reality is that most people in the general population, and even many comic fans, didn't give a hoot about the classic/current Aquaman and worse yet thought him a joke. Why on earth would WB/DC then attempt to force feed people that version?

The widest audience for these CBM's are the "cartoon watchers". The now teen and twenty somethings that were reared on the animation, but never invested enough to buy a book. The version of Aquaman that they would have an affinity for would be the "Peter David" version as well. This dynamic also speaks to why John Stewart is more popular than Hal Jordan in some circles.

I have read Aquaman in fits and starts since the 90's and just dropped the New 52 book. Honestly I am all in with Mamoa and where WB looks to be taking the character.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #30
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
The reality is that most people in the general population, and even many comic fans, didn't give a hoot about the classic/current Aquaman and worse yet thought him a joke. Why on earth would WB/DC then attempt to force feed people that version?

The widest audience for these CBM's are the "cartoon watchers". The now teen and twenty somethings that were reared on the animation, but never invested enough to buy a book. The version of Aquaman that they would have an affinity for would be the "Peter David" version as well. This dynamic also speaks to why John Stewart is more popular than Hal Jordan in some circles.

I have read Aquaman in fits and starts since the 90's and just dropped the New 52 book. Honestly I am all in with Mamoa and where WB looks to be taking the character.
Good points, and I can totally see that that is most likely what DC/WB thought as well. I can also see them going with John Stewart for the next go-round with GL. Personally, being more of a Marvel fan over the years I don't really care too much, as long as their choices make the movie better. Having said that, Marvel has not always gone the way I thought or hoped with their films, and so far they haven't gone wrong. Let's hope DC/WB knows what they're doing as well.