Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #11
strife87
Spider-Ham

I am still looking forward to this.

In the first film Myers was calculated while he played a creepy and suspenseful game of cat and mouse with a random group of girls. There was no sister connection with Laurie in that film other than she sorta looked like Judith. He played this game nearly perfectly, until the last few minutes of the film where he was thwarted.

While we haven't seen how he was captured that Halloween night in the new film, I'm sure that Laurie surviving that night has been burning in his mind for nearly 40 years. When presented with freedom, I really don't see it as chance that he would run into Laurie again, I see it as drive to complete what he has most likely been dwelling on for four decades. I think it'll be ok without the sibling angle if done well.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #12
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
JLC is all pumped up on Activa and ready to kick ass!
This should be official PR for the movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
not a fan of them just erasing all the other movies (even if they weren't all great), and if they took out the sibling angle then it's just a crazy guy that bumped into a girl 40 years ago randomly and now he's going back after her for literally no reason?
Other than 2 the others really are pretty erasable. I like 4 & 5 but I don't need that exposition of Michael's motives to be forever included as canon and they already erased them once. Let's be honest here Halloween is at it's best as a 1 hit wonder that leaves so many questions but that doesn't mean I don't want to see more.
"CARPENTER: I didn’t think there was any more story, and I didn’t want to do it again. All of my ideas were for the first Halloween – there shouldn’t have been any more! I’m flattered by the fact that people want to remake them, but they remake everything these days, so it doesn’t make me that special. But Michael Myers was an absence of character. And yet all the sequels are trying to explain that. That’s silliness – it just misses the whole point of the first movie, to me. He’s part person, part supernatural force. The sequels rooted around in motivation. I thought that was a mistake. However, I couldn’t stop them from making sequels. So my agents said, ‘Why don’t you become an executive producer and you can share the revenue?’ But I had to write the second movie, and every night I sat there and wrote with a six pack of beer trying to get through this thing. And I didn’t do a very good job, but that was it. I couldn’t do any more."

https://deadline.com/2014/10/john-ca...-myers-861942/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I completely disagree with his reasoning and TBH, it makes me want to skip this film despite liking what I’m seeing stylistically.

McBride acts as if random people who encountered Myers weren’t in danger because his focus was on Laurie. Has he even watched these films? The brother/sister angle was what fueled his drive. Anything that got in his way was simple mowed down. THAT makes him “scary.” Having him as some random killing machine with no purpose is less scary. Not only that it makes Laurie and him crossing paths again 4 decades later seem all the more improbable. What an idiot! I think I just talked myself out of supporting this film.
Until that article I had always expected that the sister angle would be re-revealed anew in this movie and that is why they were ignoring the 2nd Halloween. The brother sister angle was originally totally tacked on and it honestly felt like it. The ages didn't match and how Michael would have known he had a sister. Even Carpenter admitted as much it just gave the movie something which it desperately needed otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
I am still looking forward to this.

In the first film Myers was calculated while he played a creepy and suspenseful game of cat and mouse with a random group of girls. There was no sister connection with Laurie in that film other than she sorta looked like Judith. He played this game nearly perfectly, until the last few minutes of the film where he was thwarted.

While we haven't seen how he was captured that Halloween night in the new film, I'm sure that Laurie surviving that night has been burning in his mind for nearly 40 years. When presented with freedom, I really don't see it as chance that he would run into Laurie again, I see it as drive to complete what he has most likely been dwelling on for four decades. I think it'll be ok without the sibling angle if done well.
I agree with strife here and his suggestion has made me realize something about the original movie I never have before.

I don't want to watch the trailer as they're notorious nowadays for giving things away and horror movies always rely heavily on suspense. There's always some outcome I can figure out watching a movie when I've seen a trailer.
However my understanding for this was that it is Laurie that has been waiting 40 years to finish off Michael.

I think Strife is totally right about the girls. There's a obvious motif in Halloween many could find uncomfortable. Sure Michael Myers kills people that get in his way but it's not a path to Laurie, it's a path to reliving and revisiting his past of stabbing his sister Judith for his jealousy of her sexual intimacy compounded by his own sexual maturation. THAT is Michael's driving force. His breathing is much more uncontrolled and labored when killing the girls because it hits those same notes for him. Annie's death especially has obvious sexual undertones. Sex is THE driving force of the planet but for Michael Myers it's forever intertwined with his past of stabbing his sister instead of the actually having sex.

Laurie happens to be the 1st girl he sees at the house, looks close enough to the right age of Judith and his institutionalized mind isn't so sure Judith was really dead so he's confused but he's gonna make sure and that explains his extra fascination with Laurie. He's never going to be done after killing Laurie anymore than any guy is done with sex after their first time. Having her actually BE his sister was a bit unnecessary as he was PLENTY scary in Halloween before Halloween 2.
And if it is Micheal instigating the pursuit then him being crazy and dwelling for 40 years on that Laurie still COULD be his sister is enough for him.

As good of a director as Carpenter is and as much credit as he deserves Dean Cundey deserves a lot of credit for creating the feel of scenes (as Carpenter has given credit) and the new one would do well to imitate that.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #13
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm so excited for this even tho they removed the brother part. And I liked part 2 a lot.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just what we need..ANOTHER remake of Halloween. I Can't wait for another 4 years when they Remake it for the third time.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Just what we need..ANOTHER remake of Halloween. I Can't wait for another 4 years when they Remake it for the third time.

A bit over dramatic. Firstly, it's not even a remake. It's a true vision of a sequel to the first film, with Carpenter behind the helm as ex producer.

It was rebooted 10 years ago,. It wasn't well received, sothe less said about those, the better. It's not going to get rebooted again if nobody cared enough about the first reboot.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

not a remake, sequel to the first
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
A bit over dramatic. Firstly, it's not even a remake. It's a true vision of a sequel to the first film, with Carpenter behind the helm as ex producer.

It was rebooted 10 years ago,. It wasn't well received, sothe less said about those, the better. It's not going to get rebooted again if nobody cared enough about the first reboot.
It is a remake of the sequel but it's not called Halloween part deux or 2 or II since there was a part 2 already made. Kinda misleading, which is why I didn't bother reading about it. What ever you call it reboot or reimagining or remake all the same thing. The trailer looks promising. The reason I was "over dramatic" which I suppose to you is anyone showing any sort of emotion other than a slack jawed, glass eyed look on their mug, is because I was disgusted with Zombie's Halloween and was not interested in seeing another vomitous version of a beloved film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
not a remake, sequel to the first
I see. A sequel named Halloween just like Halloween. They didn't bother adding the 2 or II cleaver. I didn't even bother reading about it after the last abortion of a remake or reboot or whatever the hell you call it by Zombie.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Halloween is my favorite horror film of all time. While I enjoy some of the sequels, to varying degrees, nothing tops the original.

That said I consider Halloween II to be an underrated entry, the best of the sequels and a brilliant expansion without pushing the boundaries too far. This new entry looks promising but I don’t like how it seems to discount the events of Halloween II, specifically the revelation of Michael being Laurie’s brother. Other than that I’m liking what I’m seeing.
Dittos all over this post.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #19
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
The reason I was "over dramatic" which I suppose to you is anyone showing any sort of emotion other than a slack jawed, glass eyed look on their mug
I rest my case.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #20
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I saw it tonight and thought it was really bad. Disappointing for sure on so many levels. Cast is awful. Story bad and no atmosphere. Not scary at all. Would easily put it towards the bottom of the Halloween movies. It’s that bad.

I loved 1 and 2, some of my favorites of all time. Even enjoy part 4 but this one was not good.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote