Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #41
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
This thread brings up a subject that I've been mulling over for a while now. Why isn't the buy/sell/trade marketplace here on the boards more active?

I'm very active on the CGC message board. The amount of comics that change hands in their marketplace is tremendous. Everything from 5-figure Golden Age books to cheap moderns and dollar box filler.

As a result, I haven't sold a comic on eBay for years. Why give eBay a cut, and sell to someone who might report to Paypal that the item arrived damaged when I know that I provided bomb-proof packaging?

The CGC boards also offers certain safeguards. A naughty list called The Hall of Shame alerts buyers to board members who failed to deliver their end of the bargain in previous transactions.

We have a pretty tight-nit community here on Statue Forum. Why buy and sell to strangers on eBay when we could be buying and selling among ourselves here on the boards?
I think part of it, probably a big part, is that you have to be an Adamantium member. Open it to everyone and I think you'd see a spike in listings. That said, the Sideshow board is pretty active...maybe lowering the cost for membership would do the trick.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #42
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
But that's exactly the point. You're more likely to know who to deal with on the boards and who not to. eBay is a crapshoot.
Maybe, but the mods (who are probably unpaid volunteers) would have to get involved in disputes, maintain a Hall of Shame, etc. eBay is a business that has paid staff to deal with that kind of stuff.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #43
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Maybe, but the mods (who are probably unpaid volunteers) would have to get involved in disputes, maintain a Hall of Shame, etc. eBay is a business that has paid staff to deal with that kind of stuff.
All I'm saying is that there's an existing example at the CGC boards where it works very well. I see no reason why it couldn't be mirrored here.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
I think part of it, probably a big part, is that you have to be an Adamantium member. Open it to everyone and I think you'd see a spike in listings. That said, the Sideshow board is pretty active...maybe lowering the cost for membership would do the trick.
They really should.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #45
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
That's so self-defeating, though. The idea that you're going to get better service and quality from a stranger than people you interact with everyday here on the boards doesn't make it any sense.
Post a PSA and tell folks to stop being cheap-asses.

For some reason, it makes sense to the buyer if I sell under retail and include multiple perks. Hell, I listed a crapload of XM pieces at retail (local pickup) on a FB group a while back and I still received low-ball offers like I was operating a garage sale.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #46
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

For some reason, it makes sense to the buyer if I sell under retail and include multiple perks. Hell, I listed a crapload of XM pieces at retail (local pickup) on a FB group a while back and I still received low-ball offers like I was operating a garage sale.
Yeah, I don't think people understand or care that a business's unit cost for an entire run of a statue doesn't carry over to individuals who bought one statue.

Also, back to my other point about forum members being savvy shoppers -- the MSRP for the Tweeterhead Supergirl is $250. Many forum members paid MSRP + tax + shipping. Yet, Ent Earth sold it for as little as $105 + Free Shipping. What's a fair price for it? Forum members who know how cheap it was won't want to pay MSRP. Someone who paid MSRP + tax + shipping won't want to take a huge loss on it, either. Listing on eBay, where the regular has been selling for MSRP, seems much less painful than dealing with a constant barrage of "This was $105 just last month!" messages.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 AM   #47
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yeah, I don't think people understand or care that a business's unit cost for an entire run of a statue doesn't carry over to individuals who bought one statue.

Also, back to my other point about forum members being savvy shoppers -- the MSRP for the Tweeterhead Supergirl is $250. Many forum members paid MSRP + tax + shipping. Yet, Ent Earth sold it for as little as $105 + Free Shipping. What's a fair price for it? Forum members who know how cheap it was won't want to pay MSRP. Someone who paid MSRP + tax + shipping won't want to take a huge loss on it, either. Listing on eBay, where the regular has been selling for MSRP, seems much less painful than dealing with a constant barrage of "This was $105 just last month!" messages.
yup... perfect example of forum BST logic
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 AM   #48
nameivom
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

Anything like craigslist? I would prefer to use craigslist myself because it is free to post and all the earnings go in my pocket. The sticking point is my location is a small community and the reach I get with eBay just can't be beat.

I've found out quickly there are not many collectors in my immediate area and the ones that are here are cheap. Typical responses, "I'll take it off your hands for free?" or they want to trade a game system (probably broken) for a statue. Ridiculous responses like that push me back to eBay.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #49
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
They really should.
They should...or, if they need the money, at least lower the cost. I'm not seeing many adamantium members on here... I think you'd have more people willing to pay $20 a year than $60. I think that could be a win-win.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #50
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
Anything like craigslist? I would prefer to use craigslist myself because it is free to post and all the earnings go in my pocket. The sticking point is my location is a small community and the reach I get with eBay just can't be beat.
There are users (like myself) that use those global CL search crawlers to see everything in the country. So that definitely works. The FB groups are pretty much hit/miss because you have the same collectors that are on the boards that know what X item was selling for X months ago or how much it actually costs with X company's loyalty discount, plus shipping. Of course if we are talking about XM pieces... retail pricing varies because collectors don't use the same source or live in the same location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
I've found out quickly there are not many collectors in my immediate area and the ones that are here are cheap. Typical responses, "I'll take it off your hands for free?" or they want to trade a game system (probably broken) for a statue. Ridiculous responses like that push me back to eBay.
... and I'm sure those same collectors would have zero issues turning around flipping the same exact piece for 2X-3X the value.