Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
stoo009
Doh!

Using stone clay as a base

I'm currently working on a Thanos bust and wondered if it's a bad idea to use normal stone clay for the base of the body rather than tinfoil. I'm not sure if the stone clay will cause any damage to the outer later of super sculpy when I bake the bust.

Any advice would be great.
stoo009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Can be done, but I ask why?
Stone clay/any air dry clay is much more expensive than tin foil and it's a pain to work with.

I found the bigest risk using these method is when baking the stone clay it has the tendency to split in the oven and when it splits it will destroy the sculpey on the outside.
Stone clay is designed to be air dried.
But this doesn't always happen..

Also one last thing, you need to put petroleum jelly/Vaseline over the air dry for the sculpt to stick to it.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
stoo009
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
Can be done, but I ask why?
Stone clay/any air dry clay is much more expensive than tin foil and it's a pain to work with.

I found the bigest risk using these method is when baking the stone clay it has the tendency to split in the oven and when it splits it will destroy the sculpey on the outside.
Stone clay is designed to be air dried.
But this doesn't always happen..

Also one last thing, you need to put petroleum jelly/Vaseline over the air dry for the sculpt to stick to it.
Thanks for the reply, the reason was because i was given stone clay from work for free and thought it would be easier to shape than tin foil. After attempting it however, you are spot on about the fact its a pain to work with. I've just resorted to the tried and trusted tin foil....

Thanks again.
stoo009 is offline   Reply With Quote