Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
TheMasterTurtle
Frackin!

Looking for a mold maker

Please lock if this is inappropriate and I apologize in advance if it is. I promise I wouldnt have even posted this if I hadn't given up completely.

So somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years ago I REALLY started to enjoy sculpting as a hobby. Some pieces would be fully sculpted but primarily they were some base (an action figure in most cases) and I would sculpt over areas of them either adding more detail or design to the character which was already there. Some of the characters were also original.

This grew into wanting to sculpt things which never had seen the light of day or licensed releases never seemed to be up to par with what I wanted. I went down the avenue of full sculpts. Just as always these were in the 6" to 12" scale. Some of these characters had multiple color schemes I wanted to explore but also I had some requests from friends to add them to their collection.

This brings me to my dilemma. I have tried a multitude of different mold making and casting products with continued failure. I've read numerous tutorials, watched countless amounts of videos both on youtube and dvds, followed all the steps, always seem to think "Ive got it this time" and my results are always lackluster and definitely inconsistent.

I would always test a new product of a factory produced product and attempt to mold and cast it but I suppose the level of complexity was never enough to compare to the sculpts I would then attempt to mold. Obviously the plastic factory parts would never break however 50% of the time my original super sculpey always suffered a different fate. I prefer to use this medium over most so despite having used some different epoxies and such, I always go back to this one because I enjoy working with it more. I use the epoxies more for small, less detailed things. I like that sculpey doesnt have a work time.

I have never completely finished any of my works because they always get stuck or broken in the molding phase. I feel like, and could be wrong, there has to be individuals out there that offer molding services where you send your sculpt off, they mold and can essentially make low runs for you. I'm struggling to find anyone that offers a service like that and don't even know how else to begin except post in forums such for this pleading for anyone to point me in the right direction. I realize there are logistics to this which would need to be discussed but I'm ready for that.

Due to so many failures and lost works I have decided I really just need to give up on what I'm not good at and stick to what I actually can do well. I'm not an OUTSTANDING sculptor and don't feel like I could hold my own against 90% of talent on this forum however I feel that my work is simple, effective, and nice enough to paint and display.

It's a hard thing to describe - I feel like I'm continually inspired to put my mind, imagination, skill, & tools to work against some clay however discouraged and unmotivated because every project ends in failure (the reproduction, not the sculpts themselves);

Anyone out there have a direction to point me in? And although I appreciate the encouragement I can't accept "just keep at it" or "keep practicing." If those are the sorts of directions I get then I guess I just need to let this hobby die. I can't take the time to keep failing anymore.
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Have you searched all the smooth on videos on mold making?

I watched a lot of their videos, gone to shows like wonderfest and jerseyfest to pick poeples brains, sit in on seminars etc.. on how to do what you are looking to do.

what i have learned on how to make a mold is get smooth ons Mold Max 30, make sure i correctly measure and use a vacuum chamber/Pot to take out all the gas, then you can make a 2 part mold.

Videos like this is what helped me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51pruopJOpE

smooth on also has a calculater on how to properly mix the contents

http://www.smooth-on.com/tools.php

while im no pro yet its getting into the hobby and going to the shows that helped me learn from the pros
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I hope this advice doesn't sound insulting as you didn't mention what you have tried. So please ignore if you did all this. But make sure you seal the sculpy with primer and a light coat of gloss paint after baking. Then of coruse the mold release spray. I haven't played much with sculpt, but with some experimenting, the baked sculpy seemed somewhat porous. Priming and gloss along with eh mold release would keep the silicone fro sticking.

You can also check the RPF (replica prop forum) as I am certain that there people there who can either proivde guidance or point you in the dirction of hiring someone. Resin casting is common in hobby prop making as well for Hollywood

You can also check the Stan Winston school as there are a variety of course for purchase. They might have some courses on mood making

Check some articles on Tested.com. I've seen some articles like the one on the custom Halo Needler.

Your other bet is tapping into ther small network of remaning garage kit producers. You could give the people at Monsters in Motion a call as they have had some resin model kits produced in the past. They might point you inthe direction of who they use to produce kits.

Hope this helps.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
TheMasterTurtle
Frackin!

Nothing insulting - Thats sort of advice keeps me going. I didnt start this hobby to not be willing to listen from every angle. I never did either of those thing so who knows - if I do it could rock my world and I could become a molder/caster.

Any and all info is appreciated to thanks for making this list for me!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Dose your sculpt break when you are trying to take it out of the mold?
Are you making 2 piece molds?

To answer your question directly, yeah there is people who offer molding and casting services.
I know someone who gets their sculpts kitted by a company in china.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
TheMasterTurtle
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
Dose your sculpt break when you are trying to take it out of the mold?
Are you making 2 piece molds?

To answer your question directly, yeah there is people who offer molding and casting services.
I know someone who gets their sculpts kitted by a company in china.
Typically no it actually stays in tact. I would say the materials I've chosen and lack of a pressure pot have a lot to do with my failures.

Im nervous to invest the money in it because I much prefer the sculpting over the molding but also, perhaps it's something that I still wouldnt have success with and then I have expensive material and a pot sitting there. Its a tough call for me to make financially.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterTurtle View Post
Typically no it actually stays in tact. I would say the materials I've chosen and lack of a pressure pot have a lot to do with my failures.

Im nervous to invest the money in it because I much prefer the sculpting over the molding but also, perhaps it's something that I still wouldnt have success with and then I have expensive material and a pot sitting there. Its a tough call for me to make financially.
I've been making molds for a few years now and while pressure pots are great and all, they are not a Necessity.
Making 2 piece molds and pre-pouring your resin is the key.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
I've been making molds for a few years now and while pressure pots are great and all, they are not a Necessity.
this, THIS so much. your pre-pouring advice changed my life.

and molds, even two piece do not require a pressure pot. the key is to mix it properly, use mold release, pour from a high point in one corner of the mold and let the silicone flow over the sculpt; at least that has worked for me. sometimes it helps to brush some mold making material into small detail areas so air pockets don't get trapped
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:

All the guys who have done this and the kits i got from them, always has bubbles in the worst spots, and horrible bubbles at that.

Unless its a basic smooth not super detailed item, i think you can get away with it, but for detailed items i won't take on kits that are no pressure pot.

Nothing sucks more then getting a kit, with a bubble in the figures only to pop off as i prime and sand the flashing cause it wasn't put into a pressure pot.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
this, THIS so much. your pre-pouring advice changed my life.

and molds, even two piece do not require a pressure pot. the key is to mix it properly, use mold release, pour from a high point in one corner of the mold and let the silicone flow over the sculpt; at least that has worked for me. sometimes it helps to brush some mold making material into small detail areas so air pockets don't get trapped
I'm glad I could help dude, rock on!
I was actually looking for the tread with the pics I posted about pre-pouring, do you know where it was?