Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
gol
The Spirit

Quote:
this is polystone not pvc...
That's exactly my point. Maybe polystone is still a "more noble" material (even though it's still just plastic..), but it used to mean "better". Now, with Hot Toys, it's PVC (or whatever they're made of) that's clearly better, as long as the sculpt's detail & facepaint matters, that is. But maybe we're not all collecting for the same reasons (what are yours?).

If the same technology as what Hot Toys uses was used to make this, maybe it'd look very close to the original drawing. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, "dolls" have just made a big leap in quality, it's only a matter of time until it's applied to statues.
Maybe it's also old vs modern sculpting. I'm not 100% sure, but I would expect Hot Toy's models being fully digitally modelled & painted. Maybe that's what required for more details.
gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
blueyell
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

There are health concerns with PVC materials. Thats why polystone and resin are better.

http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/facts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gol View Post
That's exactly my point. Maybe polystone is still a "more noble" material (even though it's still just plastic..), but it used to mean "better". Now, with Hot Toys, it's PVC (or whatever they're made of) that's clearly better, as long as the sculpt's detail & facepaint matters, that is. But maybe we're not all collecting for the same reasons (what are yours?).

If the same technology as what Hot Toys uses was used to make this, maybe it'd look very close to the original drawing. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, "dolls" have just made a big leap in quality, it's only a matter of time until it's applied to statues.
Maybe it's also old vs modern sculpting. I'm not 100% sure, but I would expect Hot Toy's models being fully digitally modelled & painted. Maybe that's what required for more details.
blueyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
gol
The Spirit

I can only laugh at this. Seriously, I can understand a consideration for the risk of using PVC for food containers, or even toys that children may swallow.

..but statues in your room? Can you enlighten us about the health concerns related to PVC statues in a room?
If it's about how it's produced, I'd think that our adult toys are produced in very neglectable quantities compared to the use of PVC in construction & food sectors.

Btw, your polystone is painted, I hope you also care about what's in the paint.

Btw2, it only took me a couple of minutes to find out that polyurethane, & thus polystone, is not very green either.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that ALL these plastics are crap. But I don't care and I don't think that I'd want a statue made of corn, unless it proves to be as good & durable.
gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
hotrodhoodrat
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Hello ya all, here's me two cents,
I'm a smoker and I'm sure it will kill me way before PVC or Resin does ! LMAO

I like what I get and furthermore, I'll keep buying them until they quit making them but it all depends on many factors too.
hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Vallos
Jubilee

There is a "limited version"... http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/1014

It comes with everything the regular version, but this has a white skin tone, cast off breast covers and a silver base. I prefer this than the regular if nothing else than the skin tone and the silver base.

Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
blueyell
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
There is a "limited version"... http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/1014

It comes with everything the regular version, but this has a white skin tone, cast off breast covers and a silver base. I prefer this than the regular if nothing else than the skin tone and the silver base.
I already per-ordered the regular, now thinking about this one. The silver base is really putting me off, the cast off breast covers are doing the opposite.
blueyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
hotrodhoodrat

I like the limited version the best... doing a removable plates and a silver base is much better IMO..
She's more tempting to me LOL
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Vallos
Jubilee

I think the silver base provides a better contrast to her black boots. With the black base, they seem to fade into them. After seeing the difference I canceled my regular version order and ordered the limited version.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
hotrodhoodrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I think the silver base provides a better contrast to her black boots. With the black base, they seem to fade into them. After seeing the difference I canceled my regular version order and ordered the limited version.
I would too...congrats... she's going to be stunning
Oh...whats the limitation going to be on this one ?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

This is so Tempting I was looking her Up and Down on the site, must see how many pre-orders I will have after SDCC
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote