Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest threat Asgard has ever faced?
Surtur is the most dangerous of all enemies of Asgard! 1 100.00%
Ymir the Frost Giant is Asgard's fiercest foe! 0 0%
Kurse is the strongest foe Thor ever faced! 0 0%
The biggest threat to Asgard has always been Mangog! 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Deliver Us From All Evil - The Surtur Mini-Bust from Bowen Designs

And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the Evil One.
For Yours is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory forever.
Amen.

- Matthew 6:13

Hi guys,
I recently received the Surtur Mini-Bust and have been so impressed by it that I immediately knew I just had to write a review about it.
I am currently busy finishing up my comments and will share these with you wuithin the next couple of days.
For now I hope you will enjoy the pictures I have posted below; please feel free to check out my thoughts and feelings about this bust later this week.
As always you are more than welcome to share your own feelings and thoughts about this mini-bust; let me know what you think!

Have fun!

Background Information

Surtur, the gargantuan fire demon of Norse Mythology, first lit up the pages of the Mighty Thor's original four-colored fantasy mag in October 1963 (Journey Into Mystery #97).
In that timeless tale, readers learned that Surtur was the evil embodiment of fiery destruction, a scorching force of elemental energy that predated the Gods of Asgard.
Measuring in at over 1,000 feet tall and wielding the massive sword Twilight (the blazing blade destined to ignite the flame of Ragnarok), Surtur is determined to burn the entire universe to cinders.
Such ambition is no small thing, and Surtur was immediately established as perhaps the greatest threat to ever surface in the Nine Worlds.

While Marvel's resident Thunder God faced Surtur in many epic confrontations, it was Odin, father to Thor, who proved to be Surtur's eternal arch-adversary.
During the Surtur Saga, Odin made what seemed the ultimate sacrifice by locking himself in everlasting struggle with the monster from Muspelheim (the Norse dimensional world of fire).
Although seemingly banished, Surtur proved to be as undying as the stars themselves.
Time after time Surtur would be defeated - just barely - only to return to plague the Golden Realm.
Even after what seemed to be the final Ragnarok occurred, it was later revealed that Surtur ensured his eternal existence by storing a fraction of his quintessance in a limbo-like dimension
that lay between death and life.
Thus secure, Surtur has insured his presence in the Marvel Universe for what may be forever.

Powers
Surtur was depicted as an immense and malevolent being whose possesses the power of a thousand blazing suns.
Surtur is an enormous fire demon, standing over 1,000 feet in height and is considered to be more of a force of nature than a physical foe.
He possesses superhuman strength, stamina, and durability far surpassing that of Thor.
He is possibly a being composed of "living" flame so strong that he can affect the Earth's temperature from Asgard and can manipulate cosmic energy to generate intense heat,
flames or concussive force. He can also manipulate cosmic energy for various effects, including levitation, molecular manipulation of himself, inter-dimensional teleportation, and immortality.
Surtur is vulnerable to intense cold, and can be imprisoned by certain magical spells or by other beings wielding cosmic energy powers equaling his own;
Surtur's powers are usually shown to equal those of Odin.

Surtur is a master warrior and swordsman, and has a prehensile tail.
Surtur also possesses vast knowledge of ancient and arcane wisdom up top a level in which Surtur is able to connect to The Eternal Flame.
When in its vicinity, Surtur claimed it increased his powers.

Superhuman Strength: Surtur can easily lift well over 100 tons. His strength is said to be equal to Odin.
Living Flame: Surtur is composed of living flame which is so intense that he can affect Earth's temperature all the way from Asgard.
Pyrokinesis: Surtur can create and manipulate intense heat and flames.
Cosmic Manipulation: Surtur can manipulate cosmic energy for various effects.
Immortality: Surtur is considered to be an extremely old and long-living entity
Telekinesis: Surtur can levitate things using his mind.

Weapons:
Surtur possesses the giant sword Twilight, also known as the Sword of Doom, composed of an unknown metal.
The sword is magic, capable of manipulating vast amounts of mystical energy, such as shattering dimensional barriers and inhibiting Odin's powers.
Loki has temporarily tapped into the power of the sword to change Thor into a frog (Thor is normally resistant to this type of magical transformation)
and making the Asgardian populace sick (Asgardians are normally immune to disease).
Morgan Le Fay tapped into the power of the sword to reshape the entire planet Earth from modern day into a medieval world after using the chaos magic
of the Scarlet Witch to "bridge the gap" between her personal faerie powers and the Asgardian magics bound to the blade.
When the sword is bonded with the Eternal Flame, its powers are further increased to an unknown level.

Weaknesses:
Surtur is vulnerable to intense coldness. He is also vulnerable to magical attacks.

My Verdict

Bust Number: 297/386
Sculpted by: Keith Kopinksi with Helder Moreira. Base design by Diego Serratte
Release Date: June 2012
Edition Size: 386
Order Of Release: Phase V (bust #286; Website Exclusive)
Height: this bust is over 13 inches tall

Sculpt: 9.0 - Excellent
What immediately struck me when I unpacked this bust and looked at it for the first time, is how large and impressively sculpted Surtur is. Here we see a fierce and frightening demon ready to demolish and destroy each and everything standing in its path.
The incredible power and destructive nature of Surtur are perfectly captured and it is if you can almost feel the intense, incinerating heat which is coming from Surtur.
Everything adds to a great sculpt: Surtur's heavily muscled body (look at the 'cool' veins on his biceps!), the victorious and merciless expression on his grim face, the Eternal Flame which carries his body, his notorious sword Twilight which will one day mark the end of the world and last but not least the base showing a dangerous lava pit.
Surtur is on a warpath and the sculpt shows his might, frightening appearance and destructive mood to the finest degree. Looking at this bust it all of a sudden is easy to understand why even the All- Father fears this fiery demon from Muspelheim!

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.0 - Impressive
One could say that the paintjob on Surtur is not the most complicated one ever but I'd say that Bowen Designs nevertheless did a great job.
Surtur's burning red hot color looks very good and makes you almost feel the intense heat his body is radiating whereas the Eternal Flame holding his body really seems to be sustaining and empowering Surtur. Surtur's glowing fiery orange/red eyes match with his large white, uneven teeth showing through his frightening grin.
Surtur's body is not evenly painted red however. The subtle black lines used to create shadows and emphasize the enormous muscles on his arms and chest look awesome and really add to the appearance of Surtur
Surtur's sword Twilight looks real and is every inch the magical , centuries old sword which will one day ignite Ragnarok.
One of the best things regarding the paintjob is however the great way in which the lava pit is painted from which Surtur has emerged. The black stones with the insanely hot lava showing through look great and somehow remind me of Mount Doom of the Lord of the Rings-saga.

Design: 9.0 – Excellent
Surtur is one of the most fearsome and powerful foes of Asgard and the design of this bust absolutely honors the daunting appearance of Surtur.
I just love the enormous size of this bust and the impression it makes once displayed.
Surtur is huge and he is really towering over The Mighty Thor like he should.
His ugly and his frightening appearance is not easily forgotten and will burn a lasting impression in your memories..
What's also great is the huge sword Twilight which Surtur holds in his right hand: the Sword of Doom looks as impressive as it should and by the looks of it Surtur is going to use it to do some
heavy damage to Asgard!
The fact that a lava pit was used for the base with Surtur appearing out of fierce flames is a stroke of sheer genius and it highlights the origins and powers of this evil embodiment of fiery destruction.
The only thing which I would have liked to see differently is the fact that the flames carrying Surtur's body are not made from the same translucent material as the flames on Surtur's head.
I am not sure why it was decided not to use transparent flames on the base (price / weight/ complexity of construction?) especially since for example the Firelord Mini-Bust not only proves
that it's possible but also that it looks looks outright amazing.
I think this bust is an incredible piece of work but translucent flames on the base would have looked better and would have brought this bust on an even higher level.

Production & Build Quality: 7.5 - Very good
The bust is solidly built and reassuringly heavy for such a big piece.
Surtur's sword Twilight as well as the ornament he is wearing on his head are separate pieces and once assembled the piece feels it's built to withstand the years to come with ease.
On my particular bust the black ornament on Surtur's forehead is a bit loose but fortunately not to the extent that it will fall off if you touch the bust. It just wobbles a bit if you touch it.
Once displayed however this should not be a problem any longer however.

Overall rating: 8.5 - Very impressive
Of course nothing's is more personal and subjective than one's own opinion but the way I see it this is a true gem, a real grail and a real highlight of all statues and busts released in Phase V.
Surtur looks very impressive and I think this bust is a no-brainer recommendation for every fan and collector out there. The magic of Norse mythology has come to 'life' and Surtur has one again come to life to unleash havoc on the world!
Get ready and hold on to your lives if you want to survive the fiery fury of one of the biggest foes of Asgard...
A bigger and better compliment I simply cannot think of for Bowen Designs!

The Eternal Flame and the Sword, Odin! Can you hear them? They call to one another! You have spoken of power! Now feel the might of Surtur in his glory!
- Surtur

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Sons of Muspell, daughters of Fury, demons of the flame, our time has come! Sound the battlecry that all who live may hear it and despair!
- Surtur

Rainer
Old 11-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Tremble, mortals! Bend thy knees in worship and fear! For Surtur walks thy plane once more!
- Surtur

Rainer
Old 11-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

March to death! March to destruction! March to the fall of the gods! March to Ragnarok!!!!
- Surtur

Rainer
Old 11-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Son of Odin, hear me! Now at last has come the hour of reckoning!
- Surtur

Rainer
Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I am the father of all cataclysms, Loki. Do you understand? Do not fear the flame, Loki. In time it burns us all.
- Surtur

Rainer