Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Gir
Death is hereditary.

Stiff acting in Star Wars prequels...the cause?

Why do you think that some of the acting was so stiff in the prequels?

I was watching the Episode III extras the other day, and I noted how many backgrounds were made up almost entirely of computer graphics. For example, in the concert hall where Palpatine and Anakin discuss Darth Plagus (or whatever his name was), just about the only real objects were the chairs! It was basically two chairs surrounded by blue screens. Wouldn't it be difficult for actors to really get into their roles in that kind of environment?

Most of the actors in the prequels are actually quite good at acting when it comes to conventional films. However, it seems to me that some of them weren't able to adapt to the blue screens as well as others. The older, more mature actors such as Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) seemed to fare better than the younger ones such as Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen. I don't believe special effects were used nearly to the same extent in the OT, so it was probably a lot easier for the OT actors to get into their roles and make things believable, regardless of their acting ability.

Other contributing factors...

- Lucas' directing isn't quite what it used to be
- Weak and/or lame dialogue
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir

I was watching the Episode III extras the other day, and I noted how many backgrounds were made up almost entirely of computer graphics. For example, in the concert hall where Palpatine and Anakin discuss Darth Plagus (or whatever his name was), just about the only real objects were the chairs! It was basically two chairs surrounded by blue screens. Wouldn't it be difficult for actors to really get into their roles in that kind of environment?

Most of the actors in the prequels are actually quite good at acting when it comes to conventional films. However, it seems to me that some of them weren't able to adapt to the blue screens as well as others. The older, more mature actors such as Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) seemed to fare better than the younger ones such as Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen. I don't believe special effects were used nearly to the same extent in the OT, so it was probably a lot easier for the OT actors to get into their roles and make things believable, regardless of their acting ability.

- Weak and/or corny dialogue
I think these two points are the main factors. And, to be quite honest, I'm not sure how great Natalie and Hayden are at acting anyway? There certainly was no chemistry between them, so that didn't help.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
Gir
Death is hereditary.

I don't think Natalie is the cream of the crop, but based on Leon and Garden State, she certainly seems capable of performances far superior to those found in the Star Wars prequels. And I've heard good things about Hayden's acting in other movies, but I haven't actually seen any of them.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
Jesse321
Galactus

Natalie Portman is a pretty darn good actress, she was great in Garden State, True, Cold Mountain, Where the Heart is and was even funny in Mars Attacks .. she was TOTALLY wasted in this film.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir

- Weak and/or lame dialogue
That is something I had not thought about, but now that you say it, the lack of a real background while they were filming could have thrown them off.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
Natalie Portman is a pretty darn good actress, she was great in Garden State, True, Cold Mountain, Where the Heart is and was even funny in Mars Attacks .. she was TOTALLY wasted in this film.

I agree Natalie is a great actor, has anyone seen Closer? Wow. And Hayden was very good in Shattered Glass, I recommend ppl check that out, its on the life of Stephen Glass.

And I don't think the backgrounds or environment really has that much to do with internal chemistry between characters. I mean it does and it doesn't. I know that an actor doesn't need it when interacting with another, but would if interacting with the environment itself.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:44 AM   #7
fhurtado3627
Sinister Six

Lucas does not have much interest in the actors and acting. That's why his companies are so innovative with special F/X and sound.
fhurtado3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:34 AM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's true, some of the actors were stiff...

Personally, I thought they could have conducted a wider search for an actor to play Anakin as I had trouble buying into HC's acting style. Maybe it's just me but I don't find him that great an actor.

The British actors, as usual, consistently steal the show.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

I guess I am the ONLY person that sees that Anakin was supposed to be played like he was...I mean we are talking about a guy who is going to be the most vile, ruthless killer in the universe....there has to be some sort of base for that kind of character. So I see HC's minimal emotions job as the perfect way to portray pre-suit Vader. The 2 deaths in his life were only catalyst to both his inner most feelings(which he gave into), and his destiny. I thought HC was great...my only problem was GL's pick and directing of EP.1 Anakin the HORRIBLE Jake Lloyd.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
Skulpturen
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Hayden acted much better in this one than in E2.

Indeed, the older actors are much better. The Sith Lord was the best!
Skulpturen is offline   Reply With Quote