Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #41
Deathlok2001
Resident Metrosexual

NO it was not. ITS the principle. Cheating is cheating. What is the life lesson you are teaching these kids if you let them off with a warning?

Besides, as I explained, it was her own fault for leaving everything until the last minute. She had 1 year to complete this course & get her required mark, but no, that made too much sense.

In this year off from college, she needs to think hard about what she did. Hopefully she will learn her lesson.
Deathlok2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #42
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok2001 View Post
NO it was not. ITS the principle. Cheating is cheating. What is the life lesson you are teaching these kids if you let them off with a warning?

Besides, as I explained, it was her own fault for leaving everything until the last minute. She had 1 year to complete this course & get her required mark, but no, that made too much sense.

In this year off from college, she needs to think hard about what she did. Hopefully she will learn her lesson.
I agree, Deathlok. Students get away with way too much in the system as it is...if they're able to get away with blatant cheating without any real penalty, then not only will they learn nothing, but they'll encourage other students to do the same.

It sucks for her, and I sympathize with her...but at the same time, she made that bed. Sometimes all you can do as a teacher--all you should do--is to be sympathetic but firm.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #43
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I said it was a "little" harsh..

But, I wasn't there and I don't know what was at all plagarized. So, I'll just have to say that the punishment fit the crime.

Let me just say, that I was a fantastic student in high school and at college. We didn't have the internet as much back then as a cheating source so it wasn't as easy to cheat. And I wasn't a cheater at all (dam morals )

But, everyone one I knew, when you had to do a paper, did the research on the articles about a book. While no one that I knew plagarized, almost everyone just basically re-wrote what they read in the researched articles of cliff notes of a book for parts of their paper when they were making a point.

Now, is that cheating, not in the sense of the word. But, it isn't so far from just copying text.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #44
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
I said it was a "little" harsh..

But, I wasn't there and I don't know what was at all plagarized. So, I'll just have to say that the punishment fit the crime.

Let me just say, that I was a fantastic student in high school and at college. We didn't have the internet as much back then as a cheating source so it wasn't as easy to cheat. And I wasn't a cheater at all (dam morals )

But, everyone one I knew, when you had to do a paper, did the research on the articles about a book. While no one that I knew plagarized, almost everyone just basically re-wrote what they read in the researched articles of cliff notes of a book for parts of their paper when they were making a point.

Now, is that cheating, not in the sense of the word. But, it isn't so far from just copying text.
Officially, that is cheating. If anyone paraphrases work from another source, that source must be credited. Otherwise, it's plagiarism. I remember teaching the research paper when I was doing Comp classes, and that was one of the things I covered--what was and was not plagiarism. It's a pretty big issue, especially for those students going into the liberal arts degree programs.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen (it does) and usually students don't get called on it (they don't). But there are pretty strict rules about citations, and how you can legally "borrow" from another source, and they get more rigidly enforced the higher in education you go.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #45
Kujo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

On my course, we all know the consequences of plagarism... your off the course and its down on your perminent record. I'm at uni doing software engineering, so its a harsher than 12th grade, but paraphrasing or citing anything from another source needs referencing clearly otherwise it should be classed as blatent copying.

I agree with the decission made and like other have said, its her own fault, and she might think twice before trying it on again
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote