Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #61
Leekson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu_Manchu View Post
The only thing wrong with the Horizon model kit is the arms being misplaced. Once corrected it looks fantastic and 100% accurate (well it's a copy of the SWS maquette), like these ones:
Not just the arms, check out this thread
http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...ukuda&page=226
From what I've understood in the T-Rex thread, and it seems that some people don't understand, is that Julien is aiming not the maquette, not CGI, but animatronic look on his models. Maybe I'm wrong, the best thing would be to see Julien's answer regarding this theme
I'm not saying that Horizons are inaccurate, just not "most accurate" as Ninner stated
Again, one need to explain with what he is comparing P1 Raptor. Maquette and Horizon or animatronic?
If we are comparing it with Horizon, then yes, P1 is different, but if comparing with animatronic, I would say it's very close
Leekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #62
Steve evans
The Spirit

I almost agree entirely with Leekson on this, but what is going on with those lips and the folds on the neck?
The neck issue could simply be a poorly finished seam line but the lower lips don't look like anything I've seen before, they didn't look like that on Julien's models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42232163_1937476329879471_2308214196233306112_n.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	117667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoJmjPxU0AECUFI.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	117668   Click image for larger version

Name:	019a157e6b60f472b8a31c72057a5195.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	117669  
Steve evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #63
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekson View Post
I'm not saying that Horizons are inaccurate, just not "most accurate" as Ninner stated
Again, one need to explain with what he is comparing P1 Raptor. Maquette and Horizon or animatronic?
If we are comparing it with Horizon, then yes, P1 is different, but if comparing with animatronic, I would say it's very close
Well, I have a cast of the animatronic head here and it does not look anything like that. On the other hand the Horizon model looks like a miniaturized version of it (like the ones shown on the previous page).
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #64
Leekson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu_Manchu View Post
Well, I have a cast of the animatronic head here and it does not look anything like that. On the other hand the Horizon model looks like a miniaturized version of it (like the ones shown on the previous page).
Well, I didn't say I'm 100% right and as I said, the best would be to see Julien's answer. Honestly, I didn't compared skin texture on the P1 head with animatronic, I've jumped onto conclusion that's closer to animatronic from what I've seen on Rex thread (that he aims at animatronic look), and surely the body proportions are more closer to animatronic than Horizon in my opinion. Also, the bust you have is deformed, the snout is elongated due to recasting process. There is difference between that bust and the one in Universal Studio theme park. Also when you compare Original maquette snout and Horizon one, I can see the same thing. I mean, it doesn't have sense to discuss this...Original maquette, Horizon, CGI, animatronic, they are all different comparing one with another. What matters for me is that you can tell from a mile it's a JP Raptor not a random dinosaur
It seems that people want 3 designs. Maquette, CGI and animatronic. Each model should correspond specific scene.. If a company launch specific scene, for example Gallimimus attack, people will ----- about the Rex legs. If you please them with the CGI model, they will argue about the color. If you match the pose like CC Breakout Rex, they will argue about skin texture. I understand that these pieces are pricey and that people are expecting something very close to the original or what they see on the screen in a specific moment, but don't forget that companies are working with what they have. 3D scanned and posed Horizon wouldn't work for me on that diorama, because of body proportions on that model. Original maquette would work, but they don't have the access to it. so, the only option was fan sculpt and Julien did a great work as far as I'm concerned
Old 09-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #65
Leekson

@FuManchu
Please help me understand something. In your opinion which head would fit best for you on that P1 statue? Original maquette, Horizon, CGI or animatronic?
Old 09-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #66
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

I'm not again into a discussion animatronic vs cgi vs maquette, the last one gave me heartburn.

First of all I have to say that I really admire what's Prime1 is doing with the collectible market. Their products are fantastic and they inspired other companies to go forward with better pieces.

The question here is you guys love so much Prime1 (I do too) that you want to see accuracy here too, whilst the aim of this company is to make idealized versions. I realised that with the predator, it is an idealized version too.

I have nothing against idealized versions. The Predator Cinemaquette is idealized and it's a hell of statue.

But that's not for me. Since I begun in this hobbie following the Stan Winston Studio I always searched for the most close products to that incredible works. Now years later I have like 10 statues pulled off of their moulds and I'm the happiest man in the world with them.

So there's no sense discussing about accuracy in a product that is not meant to be accurate at all.
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #67
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
From what I've understood in the T-Rex thread, and it seems that some people don't understand, is that Julien is aiming not the maquette, not CGI, but animatronic look on his models.
Right, although Prime 1 T-Rex is even bulkier than the final animatronics on some parts of the body. And their 1:38 version also features a pretty prominent pubic bone, something accurate to a real T. rex but which was chose to be completely removed from the JP design.

Quote:
He is talking about the animatronics teeth.

Quote:
It seems that people want 3 designs. Maquette, CGI and animatronic. Each model should correspond specific scene.. If a company launch specific scene, for example Gallimimus attack, people will ----- about the Rex legs. If you please them with the CGI model, they will argue about the color. If you match the pose like CC Breakout Rex, they will argue about skin texture.
I think most of what you said in your post is true, but here you're painting an overdramatic scenario which doesn't make much sense, imo.
Yes Jurassic Park can be tricky but in the end people just want the animal you see in the movie, that brown-grey-black creature with very specific shapes and proportions.. give them that and nobody would complain.
Give them maquettes from the original artists, and nobody would complain.. also because they're basically always the most screen accurate as well.

Idealized versions as always can't please everyone, but the closer they'll be to that brown-grey-black creature with very specific shapes and proportions, the less complaints you should hear.
VickPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #68
Leekson

I don't think I'm dramatizing anything, all of this has been seen so far...
Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #69
Giu3232
Fantastic Four

hi guys,

First just know that I could not read all the comments.

Several maquettes and props exist for the JP raptor.

I mainly used scan of horizon original model as a base, but the horizon is a bit thiner than the original sws maquette, so I reshaped it and made it more massive than the horizon cast.

About the head and neck I used a cast of full size raptor head ( similar to what chronicles is selling, I have one since almost 10 years) but I had to reshape it.

The bust available on ebay then sold by chronicles has a shape very very innacurate, for a simple reason ... It was mold out of a latex or polyurethane version of the raptor, not from a solid version, and when they did it ( the first cast done more than a decade ago) it had no robotic parts inside it.

It gives a very wrong result, from front view it looks like the raptor was hit by a truck ... So I scanned the bust, but corrected it to give it back it s original correct shape ( what has not been done by other companies which sold the model without compensating the massive distortions ...)

So the prime1 model is based on an horizon model scanned, reshape to fix the volume lost, then reshape to be more like the animatronic.

Then I scanned a full size raptor head, getting all the wrinkles and folds correct but again reshaped the basic shape to fix the massive distortion that the full size bust has.

So in a way it s like a direct Stan Winston Studio maquette with a Stan Winston Studio full size head on it

It may have a couple of issues here and there like all models in the world, but I doubt any other model is more accurate
Giu3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #70
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
I don't think I'm dramatizing anything, all of this has been seen so far...
Well, no one really complained about CC skin texture and no one would complain about the legs on a Chronicle or Iron Studios rex.. so yes, i think it was a bit of an overdramatic scenario. It's not like companies can't win no matter what they do.
We're demanding, no doubt, but can you really blame fans grown up with Kenner rubber casts of Stan Wiston originals for being nitpicky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giu3232 View Post
hi guys
The amount of work behind these Raptors.. just wow.
Please, post more often.
VickPS is online now   Reply With Quote