Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #401
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You guys, I always find a little funny when a bunch of guys get twisted over a little girl power in an otherwise male dominated arena. So they had an episode about the girls doing something, granted it was poorly written and cheesy as hell, it's not like it's the predominate theme of the show.

It's kind of sad in 2017 the attitude towards females getting an episode to say "hey we can do this too", even if poorly written and cheesy, gets the stink eye from guys.
That's my problem. I'm fine with a strong female lead or themed episode, movie, show, video game, comic etc. But the ones that are expertly pulled off don't need to spell it out. Last night's episode of walking dead proved that Carol (sp?) is the most badass out of all of them. Again. But when you have the girls almost literally say "girls, we can do this without men, hashtag feminism" it makes my stomach turn from the cringe.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #402
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
That's my problem. I'm fine with a strong female lead or themed episode, movie, show, video game, comic etc. But the ones that are expertly pulled off don't need to spell it out. Last night's episode of walking dead proved that Carol (sp?) is the most badass out of all of them. Again. But when you have the girls almost literally say "girls, we can do this without men, hashtag feminism" it makes my stomach turn from the cringe.
And thats fine, because was pretty silly and poorly written, but that wasn't the vibe I ws getting from all that.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #403
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Where exactly did this happen? If I recall Jon Jonzz is still running the DEO and central to the core of the show. Is it female centered? Yeah, but no one is neutering anyone else.
Really, you didn't think they neutered Superman in those episodes? Oh Kara I could never make those kind of hard decisions, your able to beat bad guys I could never beat, your so much stronger then I am, blah blah blah...

Mon-El was nothing but a little lost puppy dog following Kara around acting like a love sick teenage girl...

All Jon Jonzz does is sit around the headquarters, it would be like having Wonder Woman do nothing during the Justice League movie...

Hey I thought Gadot was really great in WW and for a TV example Samantha Carter on Stargate SG-1 was a bad ass female character that I had a lot of respect for.

But Supergirl? I gave it up after watching the episodes where Superman guest stared. The show is a hardcore chick flick series, it's boring, the writing is cheesy and men are a complete after thought in the series... Now if they had really great writing and they weren't going out of their way to try and show how much better women are, it could be a good show... It's like the last Flash episode, they didn't need them to say over and over #feminism to prove that girls are just as tough as men, the fact they had to keep pointing it out just proves to me they don't really think they are as tough as men.

If your truly a badass you don't need to keep pointing it out in a story... Their actions should speak to how tough they are, not saying #feminism over and over again...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #404
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Really, you didn't think they neutered Superman in those episodes? Oh Kara I could never make those kind of hard decisions, your able to beat bad guys I could never beat, your so much stronger then I am, blah blah blah...
I don't think he ever said anything about bad guys, the rest of it has been said by Superman in the comics. The reason being is that Kara has a tougher road on earth than Superman did. He was raised here, she was not. So he feels that her strength to adapt and be able to get through her acclamation to earth is greater than his. Also, it has been shown that she does absorb solar radiation into her cells faster and more efficiently than he does (read Superman/Batman) so yes eventually she could be stronger than him.

Quote:
Mon-El was nothing but a little lost puppy dog following Kara around acting like a love sick teenage girl...
This I'll give you Mon-el sucked, but I honestly don't think it was a conscious choice, they just had no idea how to handle him.

Quote:
All Jon Jonzz does is sit around the headquarters, it would be like having Wonder Woman do nothing during the Justice League movie...
The guy has Fought Kryptonians, White Martians and Daxamites, the main reason you don't see him more is because of the expense it takes for the CGI, but he's done a lot more than sit around.

Quote:
Hey I thought Gadot was really great in WW and for a TV example Samantha Carter on Stargate SG-1 was a bad ass female character that I had a lot of respect for.
They were both great.

Quote:
But Supergirl? I gave it up after watching the episodes where Superman guest stared. The show is a hardcore chick flick series, it's boring, the writing is cheesy and men are a complete after thought in the series... Now if they had really great writing and they weren't going out of their way to try and show how much better women are, it could be a good show...
Honestly, I do not see what you're talking about. They even put Jimmy olden in as Guardian, who the hell cares about Jimmy Olsen? The fact that they actually gave him a more active role when they could have left him in the background shows they aren't trying to show how the "women are better" The fact is She's the star, so if she wasn't more kickass than everyone else on the show there'd be a problem.

Quote:
It's like the last Flash episode, they didn't need them to say over and over #feminism to prove that girls are just as tough as men, the fact they had to keep pointing it out just proves to me they don't really think they are as tough as men.

If your truly a badass you don't need to keep pointing it out in a story... Their actions should speak to how tough they are, not saying #feminism over and over again...
She said it once, it was supposed to be funny because that's what her character is most of the time. You're blowing a single line in the show out of proportion.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #405
MrJones

Quote:
She said it once, it was supposed to be funny because that's what her character is most of the time. You're blowing a single line in the show out of proportion.
It was said 3x. Each girl on screen had to say it. Each more dramatic than the last. Then had to do the team huddle thing just to solidify the fact that we knew they really, really didn't need help from any men.

If they said it once I would have been like, were they being facetious? were they being serious? who knows? Ah well, let me continue watching this episode. But no... the kept saying it and just had to make sure I got the memo.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #406
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
It was said 3x. Each girl on screen had to say it. Each more dramatic than the last. Then had to do the team huddle thing just to solidify the fact that we knew they really, really didn't need help from any men.

If they said it once I would have been like, were they being facetious? were they being serious? who knows? Ah well, let me continue watching this episode. But no... the kept saying it and just had to make sure I got the memo.
Okay it's actually said once when Felicity Says it before the Bachelorette Party and then it's said by Felicity, Iris and Cicile one after the other when they're about to go rescue "The Weeper" as like a rally cry, but honestly it's not that serious when they say it.

Here's the script if you don't believe me.
https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...episode=s04e05
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #407
MrJones

Yes the one after the other is what I was talking about. I really am not like deeply disturbed by it or anything. Like I believe you but I'm not triggered lol... I just thought it was stupid. Make your rallying cry something awesome like "Hit squad 3!" or something cool. Not hashtag feminism.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #408
protector2814
Phoenix

Not a bad episode last night as we learned more about The Thinker's back-story. He's an intriguing baddie with a cool backstory. The guy who plays him along with his wife are very good actors; maybe the best the show's yet offered. Not enough actually Flash in the episode, but some good Barry' stuff, in terms of character, that we haven't seen before. I now like this season's villain.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:25 AM   #409
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Wow, finally a good episode this season. Thinker is actually pretty cool now. Iris has to go though, cannot stand her anymore. She's the team leader now....lol. Right.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #410
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Not a bad episode last night as we learned more about The Thinker's back-story. He's an intriguing baddie with a cool backstory. The guy who plays him along with his wife are very good actors; maybe the best the show's yet offered. Not enough actually Flash in the episode, but some good Barry' stuff, in terms of character, that we haven't seen before. I now like this season's villain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Wow, finally a good episode this season. Thinker is actually pretty cool now. Iris has to go though, cannot stand her anymore. She's the team leader now....lol. Right.
I have to agree. Aside from Barry’s ridiculous decision to break into their home without any concealment, that was a stellar episode. I had my doubts about the Thinker but he is shaping up to be the strongest villain, (narratively), in the last season or two of the DCCW.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote