Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 09-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #31
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Roth View Post
Just because a costume is revealing doesn't mean it lacks creative merit. MKX has some of the muddiest, colorless and forgettable costume design I've seen in the series. MK11 is somewhat better, but does still feels doesn't capture the classic, vibrant, comic-style costumes that felt distinctly MK.

MK should be about striking, over-the-top designs that aren't focused on practicality and reality
They tried that with 5-7 and they're some of the worst designs i've ever seen not only in MK but in general.

The designs in MKX/11 are much much better than they have delivered since MK3. Not just costumes for existing characters but characters themselves.

Quote:
MKX and MK11 also reek of social justice pandering which I find blatantly at odds with the spirit of MK I'd literally take any other of her primary costumes over her tepid MK11 designs.
I personally don't want my female characters to just be giant tits and asses dressed in as few clothes as possible, the designs of MKX/11 are much more classier, deserving of the characters and much more fitting imo....whether you figure that's social justice pandering or NR growing and treating the characters more seriously and more respect is up to you...
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #32
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
Honestly, I chalk this up more to either limitations of hardware or experience with modeling at the time.

The characters on MK9 for sure had issues with shoulders being too broad, skeletons looking a bit weird, etc.

As far as the face design for sure, it's a lot better in MK11 and I would expect so with a gap of 8 years between the release of the games.
True but other games we're achieving better females bodies at the time, it's a thing that NR have worked on and done justice to with Injustice 2 and MK11 imo.

Quote:
But calling the outfits bikinis is a bit disingenuous. They're very well designed and being iconic/well received with the fanbase speaks for itself.

You state that the female character designs of MKX and MK11 are more natural, but what is natural about Mortal Kombat? That is a contradiction to the entire point of it being over the top.

I think time will speak for itself here. Nobody will remember the MKX or MK11 designs, I'm sure of that.
They are pretty much bikinis, outfits to show the assets of the characters and make 13 year old boys excited...look at Mileenas bandage costume lol...

I'm pretty happy that MK as a whole has moved past that sh!t...it's treated with much more maturity and respect, while still retaining that tongue in cheek and bat---- crazy elements we all love...

Not much in modern gaming will be remembered as everything is disposable now, while klassic costumes are classic...they're classic because of the time and the relationship to us...does it mean they are better? No imo. I genuinely believe that the majority of the more recent designs just look better and are more appealing aesthetically and in the overall lore.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #33
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
True but other games we're achieving better females bodies at the time, it's a thing that NR have worked on and done justice to with Injustice 2 and MK11 imo.

They are pretty much bikinis, outfits to show the assets of the characters and make 13 year old boys excited...look at Mileenas bandage costume lol...

I'm pretty happy that MK as a whole has moved past that sh!t...it's treated with much more maturity and respect, while still retaining that tongue in cheek and bat---- crazy elements we all love...

Not much in modern gaming will be remembered as everything is disposable now, while klassic costumes are classic...they're classic because of the time and the relationship to us...does it mean they are better? No imo. I genuinely believe that the majority of the more recent designs just look better and are more appealing aesthetically and in the overall lore.
That sounds a bit silly to me to say that putting female video game characters in more clothing is the equivalent of "maturity and respect".

In fact, that actually sounds insulting in that if a female character looks any other way then it's not being "mature and respectful". What exactly is this "mature" and "respectful" in a game where an Australian male pisses on the ground at the start of a match? Who are the developers fooling with this mindset?

Also, MK definitely has not moved past its' roots. Like I mentioned, they deliberately brought back both the MK2 and MK3 female ninja outfits, so they know what truly sells at the end of the day.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:21 AM   #34
MegatronG1
The X-Men

NR is very much engaged in soapboxy nonsense - seen that MK11 Jax ending? Immersion-breaking pandering.

MK was never innovative for its gameplay. It disrupted the arcade scene, honestly with the shock value, good use of mocap, and Western obsession with Eastern martial arts and related motifs. That trashiness really is its charm, tempered by a touch of pseudo-Eastern mysticism(there's your classiness), and it worked very well in establishing its identity, which many people still hold in high regard. I think it's too late to reel things in for modesty.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:32 AM   #35
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
They tried that with 5-7 and they're some of the worst designs i've ever seen not only in MK but in general.
They've "tried' that since MK1, and it gave us some of the most classic designs in gaming history. They stopped that with MKX, and that is one of the ugliest Mortal Kombat games.

Quote:
I personally don't want my female characters to just be giant tits and asses dressed in as few clothes as possible, the designs of MKX/11 are much more classier, deserving of the characters and much more fitting imo....whether you figure that's social justice pandering or NR growing and treating the characters more seriously and more respect is up to you...
Mortal Kombat has increased its sexual themes right alongside its violence from MK1 to MK9. Sex was as much part of the brand as gore and fantasy.

This is not a franchise that is about "class", and I find it silly that you would suggest such a thing when the game depicts violence and gore the way it does.

This would not have been a thing that changed if it weren't for the current political climate and outrage towards sexy fictional characters. It's just a mirror of the complaints about MK's violence in the 90s. The only difference here is that, this time, Mortal Kombat caved.

...Which brings me to my next point, you said that Mortal Kombat has retained the "tongue in cheek and bat---- crazy elements we all love".
It has not.
Mortal Kombat has lost a massive chunk of what I loved about it. MANY of the aspects of the game have been toned down. Characters that previously only fit in Mortal Kombat now feel like they could blend into other franchises, particularly the majority of modern mainstream fantasy. Noob Saibot feels like he could be from Dark Souls, Jade wouldn't be out of place in Star Wars. The humor now much more mirror's the likes of a MCU movie than its own flavor.

So yes, I 100% consider a game compromising its established themes to cater to a vocal minority that complains about anything doesn't mirror their own tastes as social justice pandering.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #36
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
That sounds a bit silly to me to say that putting female video game characters in more clothing is the equivalent of "maturity and respect".

In fact, that actually sounds insulting in that if a female character looks any other way then it's not being "mature and respectful". What exactly is this "mature" and "respectful" in a game where an Australian male pisses on the ground at the start of a match? Who are the developers fooling with this mindset?

Also, MK definitely has not moved past its' roots. Like I mentioned, they deliberately brought back both the MK2 and MK3 female ninja outfits, so they know what truly sells at the end of the day.
They bring back klassic costumes to make money, they sell because nostalgia is a -----.

Now regarding Kano, he's a scumbag arms dealer and would kill you before looking at you...of course it makes sense for him to be pissing on the ground.

Kitanas a princess, royalty and Jade is an assassin and friend...both of them wandering around in ridiculous revealing clothing never made any sense to me and i think that more recent iterations are more realistic and mature to their characters imo.

I never said the game as a whole as i thought we we're talking about Jade and the other female characters specifically.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #37
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Roth View Post
They've "tried' that since MK1, and it gave us some of the most classic designs in gaming history. They stopped that with MKX, and that is one of the ugliest Mortal Kombat games.
Opinions man, I and a lot of others like the dark tones of MKX...i wouldn't say it's an ugly game, muted colours for sure.

Quote:
Mortal Kombat has increased its sexual themes right alongside its violence from MK1 to MK9. Sex was as much part of the brand as gore and fantasy.
Gonna disagree that Sex was part of the brand.

Quote:
This is not a franchise that is about "class", and I find it silly that you would suggest such a thing when the game depicts violence and gore the way it does.
It can still do class and gore, both aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:
This would not have been a thing that changed if it weren't for the current political climate and outrage towards sexy fictional characters. It's just a mirror of the complaints about MK's violence in the 90s. The only difference here is that, this time, Mortal Kombat caved.
I think it's more about supporting the narrative and having characters in a story like the one presented now in MK to be taken seriously...i wouldn't call it them caving to pressure at all.

Quote:
Which brings me to my next point, you said that Mortal Kombat has retained the "tongue in cheek and bat---- crazy elements we all love".
It has not.
Johnny Cage ripping someone in half and using them as a hand puppet to tell a bad joke and to take a tomato the face? I'd say it's still very much whats great about MK as well as numerous other examples.

Quote:
Mortal Kombat has lost a massive chunk of what I loved about it. MANY of the aspects of the game have been toned down. Characters that previously only fit in Mortal Kombat now feel like they could blend into other franchises, particularly the majority of modern mainstream fantasy. Noob Saibot feels like he could be from Dark Souls, Jade wouldn't be out of place in Star Wars. The humor now much more mirror's the likes of a MCU movie than its own flavor.
Isn't that whats great bout MK though? Characters are always evolving, they could have left Scorpion in his yellow ninja suit like leaving Ryu in his white Gi for 25+ years but MK is always changing it up giving us new designs, expanding what the character is about...i've always loved that about the series.

Quote:
So yes, I 100% consider a game compromising its established themes to cater to a vocal minority that complains about anything doesn't mirror their own tastes as social justice pandering.
That's fine man. I think MK11 is more outrageous than ever personally and they are continuing to push the gore, limits of taste etc without having to have characters dressed like strippers...
Old 09-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #38
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Ah yes the classic example of ripping people in half with tons of blood and gore being used as entertainment (a concept that is actually questionable and worrisome for a society)..GOOD. Women having any exposed skin even in a game where half the men are half naked...BAD!
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #39
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Opinions man, I and a lot of others like the dark tones of MKX...i wouldn't say it's an ugly game, muted colours for sure.
Mortal Kombat, before MKX, had always been a vibrant game with high contrast and striking colors. That is the way it should be.

Quote:
Gonna disagree that Sex was part of the brand
Not a matter of opinion. Look at the costumes prior to MKX. A consistent increase in sexual themes alongside the violence and gore. Mileena was in Playboy ffs.

Quote:
It can still do class and gore, both aren't mutually exclusive.
Ah, yes, because slamming an opponents head into concrete until their face is unrecognizable is totally classy. Gore is no more classy than a sexy costume.

Quote:
I think it's more about supporting the narrative and having characters in a story like the one presented now in MK to be taken seriously...i wouldn't call it them caving to pressure at all.
If you think that the political climate did not dictate the changes in MKX, then that's just delusion. Regardless, it's not as if characters were not taken "seriously" prior to MKX. In the story, none of them were treated as if they weren't deadly fighters. It's the same as someone dressed up like a Bat, beating the sh*t out of criminals. Impractical, but visually striking costumes are fun, and that's what MK should be focused on. It's cathartic escapism when a game casually defies the incessant, exasperating, hypocritical whining about mature themes in media.

Quote:
Johnny Cage ripping someone in half and using them as a hand puppet to tell a bad joke and to take a tomato the face? I'd say it's still very much whats great about MK as well as numerous other examples
Fatalities do not encompass the whole of Mortal Kombat's absurdity. We don't even have the iconic gibberish on attacks like Raiden's torpedo move, anymore. I could write a book on the elements in MK that have been lost or severely toned down.

Quote:
Isn't that whats great bout MK though? Characters are always evolving, they could have left Scorpion in his yellow ninja suit like leaving Ryu in his white Gi for 25+ years but MK is always changing it up giving us new designs, expanding what the character is about...i've always loved that about the series.
Change does not equate to evolution. I'd say that most costumes from MKX and MK11 are a stark downgrade to what we've had before. Far more generic, far more boring. Regardless "change in costumes" isn't even on my list of what makes Mortal Kombat great.

Quote:
That's fine man. I think MK11 is more outrageous than ever personally and they are continuing to push the gore, limits of taste etc without having to have characters dressed like strippers...
It's gorier than ever. More outrageous? Absolutely not. And again with the stripper nonsense. Revealing clothing does not equate to stripper. That's just hyperbole and does nothing to support your argument.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #40
Jiggatron69
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post

Get ready MK fans, Jade 1/3 is coming. Here's the full concept reveal.

I assume there will be a swap out portrait.
Bam! Book it for me. Cant wait. Now all we need is a Mk 9 Sonya Blade and im set!
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote